New Orleans port parking after cruise

DKF97

Tried posting this on the ports of call board, but not much traffic over there. We have never parked at the port before, but plan to this time. Do we have to jump in our vehicle and leave immediately after our cruise? We have a few things we would like to do within walking distance of the port, so we'd like to drop our luggage in the car and set off on foot for a few hours, is this possible? Didn't think it would be a problem, but then got to thinking that it is solely for cruise parking so is there a walkway in and out of the deck to the street?

I do not know if this is allowed, but even if it is not, there is affordable parking at the Whale lot, which is barely a block away from the Erato Street terminal. I think it is just a couple of dollars for a few hours to park, even if all you do is move the car down there.

Thanks, the main reason I wanted to do this is because New Orleans traffic, especially around the port, intimidates me, lol. I was hoping to be able to come back after some sightseeing and leave when it's not so bad. Not a big deal, hopefully the craziness just seemed worse from the back of the taxis we've always been in :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S4