Talking on cell phone on the ship or on the dock?

audcc77

Not tech savy....but mine doesn't have att anywhere (yes, I have att :p)

Where else could it be. Windows system if that makes a difference.

two ways to be safe set your phone to airplane mode or call your provider and have service suspended while you are gone. well three ways. leave your phone at home.

I just received my Verizon bill yesterday and I was charged roaming charges for the one call I made while standing on my balcony in St. Thomas one month ago. I would play it safe and call from land.

Yes, that is the way it should have been. You should have been charged by Verizon $1.99/minute for international roaming in the USVI. You should not have been charged for Cellular @ Sea. If you called from land, 10 miles from the ship, you still would have been charged roaming.

I have T-Mobile. Back in May on the Freedom I turned on my roaming in St. Thomas while sitting on my balcony. I downloaded about 200 e-mails, retrieved all my voice mail and made 6 calls and had no additional charges when I returned home.

I am looking forward to using T-Mobile's new free service on our stop in Cozumel next month. Unfortunately, not all stops are included. The per minute costs are sky high for Roatan and Belize, so I will turn off my roaming except for the day in Cozumel.

I have never taken my phone ashore - I always make my calls from the balcony after we are docked. I have never gotten charges from Cellular at Sea.

I have never been charged a penny while using my phone on the ship in either Puerto Rico or St. Thomas. You can even use it while you are at sea, as long as you are close enough to US land that you are picking up an AT&T cell signal. As long as it says AT&T in the upper left corner of your phone, you are fine. If it says ANYTHING other than AT&T, you will be charged.

I agree. On our last cruise the captain announced that while driving past St. Thomas we should be able to use our phones. Sure enough my cell said Att again and not cellular at sea. St Thomas was not one of our ports, we were just driving by it. I had about 30 mins to call home.

I got charged extra when using my phone on board ship while in port at Key West!! Didn't realize it at the time....got home and got the bill. I called and ATT nice enough to take off the charges....I just explained I figured I was in US that I didn't need to worry...they said whenever on the ship it shows up as being at sea whether in port or not.

I checked with Verizon before leaving on the cruise, St. Thomas is included, just like Puerto Rico, I've never gotten charges before.[/Q UOTE]

I work at Verizon in Global Tech Support, while in St Thomas you will be charged $1.99 per minute for calls. Data is included though. See: http://www.verizonwireless.com/tripplanner

I checked with Verizon before leaving on the cruise, St. Thomas is included, just like Puerto Rico, I've never gotten charges before.[/Q UOTE]

I work at Verizon in Global Tech Support, while in St Thomas you will be charged $1.99 per minute for calls. Data is included though. See: www.verizonwireless.com/tripplanner

Thanks for chiming in! If more Verizon customers used that tool we would see a bit less confusion.

Although this might sound and is stupid, the bottom line is IF the Crew Member who is in charge, turns on the switch for Cellular @ Sea or not makes the difference...

If Cellular @ Sea is turned on, then yes, you will be billed for the time you are on the cell phone... If its not turned on, then no, you will not be billed...

And you can tell... look at your cell phone right now... Top Left it should have AT&T... On a ship, it will say Cellular @ Sea... easy enough to tell...

Verizon iphone user here. My iphone always says ROAMING in the upper left hand corner when we are on Cellular @ Sea on the ship. It has never said Cellular @ Sea. It then returns to say VERIZON when we are back on Verizon's towers. Usually that's when we are in port, even sometimes converts back to Verizon before we dock. Though, I have also been on a cruise where Cellular @ Sea was not turned off while docked in Port Canaveral, as my iphone continued to say ROAMING. You just have to be aware of this yourself, so you aren't surprised with a crazy phone bill.

Here is what I do when cruising. I like to have phone and text available at all times. So, I turn off the Notification feature on any APPS that have it turned on (go to the Notification Center in Settings). And, I most importantly turn "OFF" CELLULAR DATA. This way, if someone needs to reach me via text or a phone call, they can. If I need to place a call home, I use the phone in my stateroom, as it's the cheaper way to go--$1.99 per minute charged to your S & S bill.

For any cruisers out of Baltimore--you usually will have your own phone service pretty much the entire time while you cruise down the Chesapeake Bay, right up until close to midnight. And, on the return back to Baltimore, your phone converts back over to your regular phone service provider upon entering the Bay. It's pretty cool. You'll see everyone on their phones the last night at sea. Even the crew. Just remember that the upper left hand corner "VERIZON" changes to "ROAMING" when you are on Cellular @ Sea.

I work at Verizon in Global Tech Support, while in St Thomas you will be charged $1.99 per minute for calls. Data is included though. See: http://www.verizonwireless.com/tripplanner

per the link it says cruise ship rates apply while in international waters and global roaming apply when in port. so if st Thomas should be covered just as Hawaii is