"Live from" Queen Elizabeth to the Mediterannean! My First Cunard Experience

lovely_serenity

Fantastic Sarah! Wonderful photos and I love your commentary.

I love that first photo of the waiter at the tea where you can't see his face, just the tongs in his hand.

I also love all the food photos and comments!!

We went to Greece years ago and someone stole my daughter's backpack at Heathrow. It contained her only pair of glasses. She couldn't see a thing the entire trip! Unless it was up close.

Thanks Sarah for posting! Glad to see some pictures of the ship from a tender's view, tenders, your ride to port, description and picture with arrows of getting into town, and of course the ones of the island itself. I was missing those kinds of pictures...thanks again!

Thank you Sarah! Quite a few of the shots of the ship reminded me of the Vista class Holland America Lines ships. Is anyone else thinking the same thing?

I think QE and QV are both vista class...also some Carnival ships are based on that design.

Love the photos, especially of the ship!

Rob

Those photos of Santorini bring back some wonderful memories Sarah.

I was there with my wife two years ago and we loved the place, so much history that we were unaware of before we went. Walking down the donkey trail was much easier than walking up it, we really felt sorry seeing those poor donkeys with some very large cruisers on their backs.

Looking forward to hearing more about your cruise.

I was there with my wife two years ago and we loved the place, so much history that we were unaware of before we went. Walking down the donkey trail was much easier than walking up it, we really felt sorry seeing those poor donkeys with some very large cruisers on their backs.

When I walked up "Aussie" I thought the climb looked pretty easy, but I didn't take into account the winding path.

Looking directly from bottom to top seems a very short distance :confused:

And also you have to do a lot "Donkey dodging" going up, but I agree going back down is far more easier :)

CunardHol2012216_zpscc0b9018.jpg

Sarah,

As usual, great photos. Though QE's shots from the tender just seem to continue to point out that she does not have the liner lines worthy of the Cunard colors. I know it's the result of the economic climate, but I wish Carnival opted for a cruise ship design that is less blocky. Even just a small, continuous slope in the stern from the waterline to the top would do great wonders.

Fantastic Sarah! Wonderful photos and I love your commentary.

I love that first photo of the waiter at the tea where you can't see his face, just the tongs in his hand.

I also love all the food photos and comments!!

We went to Greece years ago and someone stole my daughter's backpack at Heathrow. It contained her only pair of glasses. She couldn't see a thing the entire trip! Unless it was up close.

Thank you hounddog! :)

I love how it looks like it could be one of those picture ads for their afternoon tea time :D :D

Thank you very much! ^^

Oh my, that's terrible ): That's such a waste to go on vacation and not be able to see what it is you went there to do. I hope everything was alright following that event! Did she get hurt? Was it a bag snatching or did somebody sneakily take it? Nonetheless, that's awful! (Besides that, I hope you liked Greece :/)

Edited by lovely_serenity

Sarah,

I have just spent my lunchtime (with free wifi) in Hong Kong catching up on your report. As usual, I have enjoyed all your pictures. Love seeing pictures of my current "home away from home". I notice some of the same dancers are still on board.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your next Disney cruise. I agree with you about the shows on DCL - they are amazing!

Kathi

Thanks Sarah for posting! Glad to see some pictures of the ship from a tender's view, tenders, your ride to port, description and picture with arrows of getting into town, and of course the ones of the island itself. I was missing those kinds of pictures...thanks again!

My pleasure! :) I was really looking forward to the port pictures! ^^ && you're welcome!

I thought the place was absolutely gorgeous. I loved how the whole city was essentially painted white! && I did see some men advertising donkey rides near the pier. It must be hard on them, carrying all of those people :/

Aboslutely, they're on the way! :)

Sarah,

As usual, great photos. Though QE's shots from the tender just seem to continue to point out that she does not have the liner lines worthy of the Cunard colors. I know it's the result of the economic climate, but I wish Carnival opted for a cruise ship design that is less blocky. Even just a small, continuous slope in the stern from the waterline to the top would do great wonders.

Thanks! :)

I recall quite a few RCI boats have this blocky shape as well. Although the QE is the newest of the Cunard ships, its design does indeed differ compared to the QM2. It seems that the QE's shape is quite similar to the QV with its blocky shape, while the QM2 and the QE2 are similar with the slope in the back.

I never noticed before!

Sarah,

I have just spent my lunchtime (with free wifi) in Hong Kong catching up on your report. As usual, I have enjoyed all your pictures. Love seeing pictures of my current "home away from home". I notice some of the same dancers are still on board.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your next Disney cruise. I agree with you about the shows on DCL - they are amazing!

Kathi

How is your cruise going? I hope you're enjoying yourself (: How do you like Hong Kong? I actually have some relatives there, so I've visited it a few times before.

Thank you very much & I will! :) (Right? The big productions are like Broadway style!)

Thanks! :)

I recall quite a few RCI boats have this blocky shape as well. Although the QE is the newest of the Cunard ships, its design does indeed differ compared to the QM2. It seems that the QE's shape is quite similar to the QV with its blocky shape, while the QM2 and the QE2 are similar with the slope in the back.

I never noticed before!

Yeah, QM2 and QE2 were built in the ocean liner mold-sleek lines, sloping stern, sharp bow. The design was to ensure year-round trans-atlantic service. QE and QV are built on Carnival's Vista Class cruise ship, with modifications. This was purely a financial decision due to the fact that ocean liners cost more to build than cruise liners.

Quite frankly, I do like RCI's designs. slight slope at the back, rounded stern. For me, their freedom class and radiance class actually looks more like an ocean liner than QE and QV. But then, beauty depends on the eyes of the beholder. Though if you want blocky cruise ships, try Norwegian Epic. :)

We decided to stay here in Thira/Fira though, since we had never been here before.

13298912534_1706065e9d_b.jpg

It had this calm, relaxing vibe to it that I liked.

13298688223_e94d072044_b.jpg

We then headed over to the cable cars after checking out a few souvenir shops. Here were the pictures I took on the way up!

13298915694_bde855c653_b.jpg

(LOL focused on the door by accident)

13298540655_5a083a9416_b.jpg

13298542065_27f0b51787_b.jpg

13298692843_e938cc2b5d_b.jpg

Oo, look! We’re almost at the top!

We finally arrived at the top after about a minute:

13298919474_80d2ef8da0_b.jpg

And we proceeded up the stairs, toward the city

13298550035_b68f4da244_b.jpg

But of course, not before a few picture! (;

13298700893_e272e9c00e_b.jpg

I took a picture of the some more cable cars arriving:

13298929104_2212e2b4b8_b.jpg

Upon stepping into the middle of the picturesque city, we could basically see the whole place from where we stood. There was a restaurant that had a terrace which looked out, above the city.

13298927854_d55d7ff14b_b.jpg

Although this wasn’t the whole city, it basically covered the portion that overlooked the water.

13298929864_8fff770e99_b.jpg

There was a Greek Yogurt shop just up front, but we didn’t eat there until much later. I first took a look at the map located about 20 meters from where we arrived:

13298764093_827700d117_b.jpg

After examining the map for a bit, we set off!

13298989774_ec47e7ca58_b.jpg

As we strolled along, I came across a random door that did not lead to anywhere:

13298990924_e10e6b70ba_b.jpg

It made for a pretty interesting shot, though ^^

13298616835_76e4d26cac_b.jpg

There were several of these kinds of open-aired cafés near the cable car terminal

13299002464_75b795ac89_b.jpg

Fascinated by everything, I took hundreds of photos as my family carried on:

13298781973_b9567ff0db_b.jpg

It was quite interesting actually, seeing the incredible contrast between areas within the city. Up above, the architecture was incredibly beautiful and white, while below these pretty buildings, were random, shabby holes:

13298778503_aca9bf84d8_b.jpg

I feel relaxed just looking at these pictures LOL:

13299005424_0931ed3246_b.jpg

The weather was so perfect too. It was bright and sunny, with clouds dotting the sky, and a cool breeze that just made you feel like you were on vacation:

13299008204_f4f3215d79_b.jpg

The dirtier, broken parts were always below us, hidden (unlike this random roof area):

13298634755_87972ce2fe_b.jpg

13299011604_18a5bf7027_b.jpg

After walking for ~10 minutes, we arrived at the market area:

13298638145_4f8f22b753_b.jpg

As we were walking, something caught our attention! (Well, everyone in the immediate area’s attention)

13299019094_b62ab39a4c_b.jpg

It was a beautiful young bride, her husband and their photographer! They were running around taking wedding photos. The groom was smiling and nodding at everyone, while the bride huffed and puffed, holding up her heavy dress (wow, props to her). Every tourist in the area pulled out their cameras and took a picture of them (LOL sorry, including me too):

13299015034_ecef0534f2_b.jpg

Anyhow, we continued on our journey, in search of a nice city skyline shot of Santorini:

13298791553_0350e8bd57_b.jpg

13298642015_ba738c1c41_b.jpg

After tons of walking, we finally found a decent spot. It was at the top of the zigzagged donkey poop trail, and next to a café:

13299023994_1b7beed7c6_b.jpg

We could see our ship from where we were standing, as well as the little tenders running back and forth from the ship to the pier:

13298800143_bfc65f82fe_b.jpg

*zooms away from city shot* We’re literally, right next to a restaurant:

13299026264_9fb407b2da_b.jpg

But zoomed in, no one can tell LOL:

13299029574_82e9eff62e_b.jpg

After tons of pictures, we kept exploring the market area in search of souvenirs and whatnot:

13299032534_5f02ec0b5d_b.jpg

13298659825_1711acc1c3_b.jpg

While Sis & Mom looked at some silver rings (I bought one too), Dad & I saw this cute mural:

13298811003_2dd454906d_b.jpg

After buying some souvenirs, we all looked at each other and thought: what now? I then remembered, the thing that I came here to see: the blue church domes. You know the one! The ones in the postcards that Greece is supposedly known for!

You know..

13770522823_4b72b5879b_b.jpg

//rips image off of Google and doodles on it// :-D

Anyhow, it was my goal to find these domes, not matter how much I had to climb. After consulting with the ship-provided map of Santorini, we headed in the direction of the churches.

13298818073_fe55fa3d00_b.jpg

13298815393_844aba2c46_b.jpg

We spent about an hour walking back and forth (lost .___.) before I saw a beacon of hope:

13298812693_51d8960d7b_b.jpg

Church bells !! :,D

13298813473_9819e936ae_b.jpg

Hey .. wait a minute …

13298666575_6146b896a5_b.jpg

(oo nicee)

13299044784_7a17523325_b.jpg

.. Something’s wrong …