January 2014: Paradise vs Sensation

newlife_2010

I have finally decided to book myself a christmas/early graduation gift - a carnival cruise. I am going solo (I have previously traveled on the Freedom and Inspiration solo). I am looking at the January 12 Sensation sailing (Bahamas) or the January 30 Paradise (Cozumel) sailings. I cant really find a lot of information about either ship (and a lot of the reviews I have seen is people complaining how bad both ships are). I try not to read too much into these - I am not that hard to please.

1. Are there still chicken tenders on either ship (as bad as this may sound - I looove the grill and pizza and will go on a cruise just for this food)?

2. Is there a Mongolian grill?

3. Which ship is better in terms of entertainment, and options?

Any other information you can provide would be great. I will be hoping to book within the next 24 hours. :)

Both ships are older, and do not have the "wow" factor as some of the newer ships, but they are still great ships, and easy to get around. I love this class of ship.

The Paradise had chicken tenders a few months ago, but the Dream didn't this week. The pizza has changed recently, it is now thin crust, and not bad.

Yes, Mongolian grill on paradise, don't know about sensation. Plan on waiting a while to get through the line.

Entertainment is pretty much the same on every ship... pretty crappy imho. If you like corny performances, bad dancers, and talentless singers, you'll like the shows... I still go for a laugh. The best shows are the comedians (sometimes) and karaoke.

You will have a great time on either ship... and remember... it is a vacation to relax..

Edited by poison7fl

Our family had a great time on the Paradise in January and we're going again. I thought the entertainment was decent, Steve (the CD) plays a pretty nice fiddle. The Paradise has the Mongolian wok station. For me, Cozumel is a better stop than Nassau or Freeport, but of course opinions can vary. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Went on the Sensation back in May of this year, great ship lots of fun... I really enjoyed it. They do have the pizza and the Mongolian grill, as far as the chicken goes I haven't the slightest clue. Can't go wrong with the Sensation even though it is an older ship you really can't tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just off the Paradise this week (Nov 16-21) and had a great time. There were chicken tenders at the grill, although they weren't my favorite.

Overall, I thought the ship was in excellent condition and was very well maintained. Entertainment was a little spotty, but at least they did still have the band in the Normandie Lounge for the main entertainment as opposed to pre-recorded music.

I'd go again in a heartbeat with no reservations whatsoever.

Garnett

Can't go wrong with the Sensation even though it is an older ship you really can't tell.

It depends on who you ask. Sensation , to this day, has been the worst cruise we've taken. In our opinion, the ship looked run down and gaudy. The 90's purple decor everywhere doesn't help. It looked like it needed some love and tender care. :o

Normally we see crew members constantly cleaning and picking things up, but on this one, it seemed like trash, dirty glasses and dishes were everywhere. Even vomit on one of the stairs was left unattended to dry for a few hours (we walked by the same spot after the show and it was still there). Either the staff wasn't on top of their game, or they just couldn't keep up with an unusually dirty group of fellow passengers.

Fellow cruisers on our particular sailing left a lot to be desired. Poor behavior was more frequent than normal. We even witnessed a small riot in the atrium with people shoving each other, screaming and even yelling racial slurs back and forth. It was embarrassing. Never in my 25+ cruises have I witnessed anything like it. We were glad to disembark when the cruise was over.

Overall, we sailed on the Sensation looking for a quick, cheap getaway. And in all fairness, that's exactly what we got; a quick, cheap getaway.