Ride to Blue Hole from Montego Bay

Lindancer

I have already climbed Dunn's River Falls and want to try the Blue Hole with my DH and 10 year old grandson. We would take a private tour from the Montego Bay cruise terminal.

However, I am not fond of driving on narrow, rutted roads on cliff sides with no guardrails, where you are inches away from plummeting to your death! Drama here, yes, but about 10 years ago I took a tour up into the Blue Mountains and then over to Kingston. It was horrifying, and I had to pound the rum punch the driver supplied just to keep my nerves intact!

Please advise; my husband feels the same as I do and I see no sense in scaring the you know what out of a little kid.

Thanks for any advice.

I would like to recommend Libertytoursjamaica to you. Our group used this private company in August while on Allure of the Seas. It was THE most FANTASITC tour I have ever gone on! Ricardo was our driver, who picked us up at the port. He had contacted us many times prior to our arrival to plan our day. We felt very safe and well cared for with him. He is a native of Montego Bay, and knows the island inside and out. Ricardo locks his van, so your money, ID, and personal items are safe, while you are at Secret Falls. The road to Secret Falls is hidden, there is no way visitors would have any idea how to get there! You definitely need guidance! Please think of this company first when choosing a tour, they offer SO much more than the bigger companies. You are supporting local Jamaica with Libertytoursjamaica.

With the bigger companies, the money is leaving Jamaica. There are many reviews on Trip Advisor including mine with pictures if you type in Liberty Tours Jamaica. I would definitely use this company again, it was the highlight of my vacation. They offer tours from Montego Bay, Falmouth, and Ocho Rios.

www.libertytoursjamaica.com

I have already climbed Dunn's River Falls and want to try the Blue Hole with my DH and 10 year old grandson. We would take a private tour from the Montego Bay cruise terminal.

However, I am not fond of driving on narrow, rutted roads on cliff sides with no guardrails, where you are inches away from plummeting to your death! Drama here, yes, but about 10 years ago I took a tour up into the Blue Mountains and then over to Kingston. It was horrifying, and I had to pound the rum punch the driver supplied just to keep my nerves intact!

Please advise; my husband feels the same as I do and I see no sense in scaring the you know what out of a little kid.

Thanks for any advice.

No worries! The road/main highway from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios is a newer and nicely paved road which is much improved from the old road (which I remember as being very narrow, winding and rutted). Although the road to the Blue Hole is off the main track, you are not driving along any dangerous cliff sides.

We visited the Blue Hole in August and had a private tour with Peat Taylor Tours. The Blue Hole features a cascading waterfall, hidden caves, refreshing turquoise pools, thrilling cliff jumps and a Tarzan rope swing without the crowds. Moreover the guides treat you like V.I.P.'s. Our time here was the highlight of our Jamaican vacation. I am sure you will also enjoy your time here. If you are interested to read my review with photos, click on the Trip Advisor link below.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1997485-r176527386-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Thanks so much for your responses. We just booked our cruise last Friday and are leaving very soon, so I'd better get going on the plans.

Never been fond of going with the cruise lines shore excursions, although sometimes I do anyway.

We also used Ricardo at Liberty last week on our trip. There was 6 in our group and felt very safe the whole time. Everyone loved Blue Hole and Ricardo is so informative of Jamaica. We asked him a million questions and he answered them all! The boys helping at Blue Hole were so friendly and eager to show us their beautiful falls. I would highly recommend Ricardo to show you around. He answered our emails promptly and we had no doubt this was our best excursion of our cruise.