New Sushi thingy... :)

hlb76

So I'm not a HUGE fan of sushi but I like it a lot. I used to enjoying going and getting a pre-dinner treat. So now I hear that the Bonsai has taken that away and its a charge now. Ok Maybe I will decide I need it enough to pay for it but my question is can I still just pop by order it and enjoy or do I have to be seated and all of that. I'm the only one who likes it in my family so we def wont be eating dinner here but I might still like a sushi snack. Hope this makes sense.

When they started this change, I remember hearing that the free sushi was still available but it was on the buffet. One night in the MDR usually has sushi as the "Didja" appetizer. I'll try and find out definitively next week and post back

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Bonsai Sushi is only on a couple of the newest ships (Breeze, Sunshine) and is not a replacement for free sushi which is sometimes found on Lido and/or in the MDR.

We are Sunshine in Jan.. So just wondering what this was about. Hope you enjoyed Sunshine again. I keep waiting for some good reviews from the good ole USA!!

What about the sushi cart on deck 3 or 4 of spirit class and conquest? Still free?

Anyone know the sushi situation on Dream?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The sushi stands have been discontined from all ships and replaced with the Taste bar.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

The sushi stands have been discontined from all ships and replaced with the Taste bar.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Another 'improvement'! :mad:

The (free) sushi stations have been replaced with the (free) Taste Bar stations, and it is an improvement. :)

As mentioned, you can find (free) sushi in other location(s).

So I'm not a HUGE fan of sushi but I like it a lot. I used to enjoying going and getting a pre-dinner treat. So now I hear that the Bonsai has taken that away and its a charge now. Ok Maybe I will decide I need it enough to pay for it but my question is can I still just pop by order it and enjoy or do I have to be seated and all of that. I'm the only one who likes it in my family so we def wont be eating dinner here but I might still like a sushi snack. Hope this makes sense.

I got some to go on my Breeze cruise.

You can walk up to the sushi bar seating, sit down long enough to place the order and then take it where you like on the ship. :D We thought Bonsai was MUCH better than that "free" junk they used to offer, and would gladly pay the very nominal charge for it! Much better quality IMO. Enjoy!!:D

We became sushi aficionados thanks to our Paradise cruise in 2000. (We've eaten sushi all over the U.S. and Canada since.) On each subsequent cruise we found that Carnival's sushi was hit or miss, more hit over the last few years.

Then came Bonsai. We thought it was terrible. The maki rolls we ordered were flavorless. We were actually upset with ourselves for having wasted the money.

That said, you can order "take-out." Just walk up to the counter and place your order. Your order will be packed in a box for you to enjoy wherever you want.

The Little Woman and I just came back from a b2b out of Jax on the Fascination. Had a wonderful cruise experience ('tis good to be Platinum) but sorely missed our daily sushi fest!! Taste bar POOR substitute!! I bet 10 people or less participated, that area was deserted! And what was offered was pretty lame, even if it is free (no, it's not! u paid for the whole experience when youpaid for your cruise, Silly) . I'm going to complain loudly to Carnival, and hope y'all will too, even if you don't like sushi, please complain on our behalf!

The Little Woman and I just came back from a b2b out of Jax on the Fascination. Had a wonderful cruise experience ('tis good to be Platinum) but sorely missed our daily sushi fest!! Taste bar POOR substitute!! I bet 10 people or less participated, that area was deserted! And what was offered was pretty lame, even if it is free (no, it's not! u paid for the whole experience when youpaid for your cruise, Silly) . I'm going to complain loudly to Carnival, and hope y'all will too, even if you don't like sushi, please complain on our behalf!

I agree!!!! I don't like sushi so maybe that's why I liked the stuff they called that--nice bite pre dinner. Liked the sauces, dips. Can't stand the Taste bar. Never got anything good at all.

The "free" lido deck sushi that replaced the old sushi bars is terrible and nowhere near as good as the little carts or sushi bars on the Conquest class ships was.

Looking forward to trying Bonsai on the Breeze and will see what we think.

But you're better off skipping the stuff on the lido buffet - yuck.