I can't believe it!/Waiting list?

lovestocruise19

What would happen if you have little ones? How would they handle late dining? My 8 year old would fall asleep in her bowl of soup? Carnival has to have a fix for that?

We do buffet 98% of the time, but sign up for anytime, and if we do eat in the MDR, we go right at opening about 4:45 I believe.

So what are they supposed to do - hold slots for people with children?! Sorry if I sound insensitive, but it's not Carnival's nor the passenger's fault if you don't book early enough to get your choice of dining times.

I have been cruising for 10 years with my boys. They were 7 and 5 then. I always made sure I booked far enough out that we would get early seating. There was no Anytime Dining back then, either. If we got stuck in late seating, then we would have to adjust by maybe having them take naps during the day, or eat at the buffet. It would have been our responsibility as parents to make it work one way or another. Never would I expect to get special treatment just because I was bringing my offspring. I understand not everyone thinks this way, but if they did, the world would be a much better place!

And 4:45PM for dinner?! I think that must be a typo.

So what are they supposed to do - hold slots for people with children?! Sorry if I sound insensitive, but it's not Carnival's nor the passenger's fault if you don't book early enough to get your choice of dining times.

I have been cruising for 10 years with my boys. They were 7 and 5 then. I always made sure I booked far enough out that we would get early seating. There was no Anytime Dining back then, either. If we got stuck in late seating, then we would have to adjust by maybe having them take naps during the day, or eat at the buffet. It would have been our responsibility as parents to make it work one way or another. Never would I expect to get special treatment just because I was bringing my offspring. I understand not everyone thinks this way, but if they did, the world would be a much better place!

Less and less people think the way you do, sadly.

Somewhere along the way some people started to think that children on a cruise must eat at X time, precisely, every day or their children would melt.

I'm not aware of any medical studies that show that changing a child's meal times on a vacation causion any harm to them.

I agree with you, but people each think they are special. As you say, it's the ship's job to get you a reserved seat.

When I worked in nursing, each Christmas we heard the same story. THEY felt they should have that day off because they had children. So what? We had families too.

After telling me that we can't cruise in 2014 and instead have to save for a house, my DH apparently changed his mind and we just booked a cruise on the Conquest in January! We must both be nuts! :D

One thing that was strange when we booked is that we are on a waiting list for the early dining. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Will we likely get the early seating, and if, not, will they put us in late or anytime? Anytime looked like there was a wait list, too.

It's common and then when you get onboard you just ask to be switched to Anytime. No problems.

We must be nuts right along with you then :D We decided we had to many other obligations this year and made the decision not to cruise in 2014. We even had one booked for our anniversary in April, and cancelled it a couple months ago. Then yesterday, DH comes to me and says he needs a break, but needs to wait till Feb. Would I be interested in cruising anyway. Baltimore is an hour and a half away, so we booked the Pride tonight! :D I am totally cool with being 'nuts'! :p

That's awesome! The Pride was our first cruise back in 2011 and got us hooked! We really can't afford this cruise, but we thought, what the heck. Yolo!

Booking far in advance usually gets your dining preference. Once wait listed platinum/ FTTF get priority dining choice. (Diamonds still get guaranty I believe) then they go down their list and accommodate as many as they can. I've always booked early so never been wait listed. I feel for you.

Ah, well, this was a last minute decision for us, which is probably why we never had this problem before. When I booked last night, I also noticed your time dining was wait listed too. We've never done your time before, but I'd prefer that over late. Although apparently DH doesn't have a problem with late. I just don't think I could wait until 8:30 p.m. to eat! Remind me, will your dining time be printed on your S&S card? So I guess I'll just wait and be surprised. It's not the end of the world, it will just be a change for us.

Ah, well, this was a last minute decision for us, which is probably why we never had this problem before. When I booked last night, I also noticed your time dining was wait listed too. We've never done your time before, but I'd prefer that over late. Although apparently DH doesn't have a problem with late. I just don't think I could wait until 8:30 p.m. to eat! Remind me, will your dining time be printed on your S&S card? So I guess I'll just wait and be surprised. It's not the end of the world, it will just be a change for us.

You might find you're pleasantly surprised with Late Seating. On my 1st cruise in 2003, Mom and I were wait listed for early seating (we booked 2 weeks before the cruise) and were assigned Late which we thought we'd hate. We ended up loving it and now that's the only dinner seating we want!! :D It's great because you don't have to hurry of the deck (and out of the sun) on sea days or hurry back from port to get ready for dinner. And don't forget, there's always the buffet, deli, pizza place, fish and chips, etc if you get hungry before dinner!! :D

We booked our December 7th cruise 6 months ago and were waitlisted for Early Dining. This will be our 7th cruise and our first time to be waitlisted. I am glad to hear the odds of at least getting Late dining are good. We really don't want YTD. We were told they would let us know by email 1 week before the cruise.

I agree with you, but people each think they are special. As you say, it's the ship's job to get you a reserved seat.

When I worked in nursing, each Christmas we heard the same story. THEY felt they should have that day off because they had children. So what? We had families too.

A good company, REGARDLESS of size or service, makes EVERYONE feel special, or attempts to. This brings customers back. Anyone who knows anything about customer service or running a business can attest to this. Everyone in the world thinks they are special. You are the center of your own universe, as is your family. Regardless of logic, you do want to feel special. Why do we cruise? So that we can feel pampered, taken care of, and special.

We booked our December 7th cruise 6 months ago and were waitlisted for Early Dining. This will be our 7th cruise and our first time to be waitlisted. I am glad to hear the odds of at least getting Late dining are good. We really don't want YTD. We were told they would let us know by email 1 week before the cruise.

DW and I booked our upcoming cruise and both early and YTD were waitlisted. However, CCL didn't say they would send us an Email to let us know which we finally are assigned We still requested early and will see when we get our S & S cards at check in. If we can't get early or YTD, then we will just have our meals in the buffet and miss the Lobster and Prime Rib and WCMC.

This is one of my biggest dislikes about the Loyalty Program changes, we no longer get guaranteed dining preference as Platinum.:( Oh well, that's CCL.

Edited by Georgiagolfer

Yes, it was a typo, and when we did use the MDR twice, we ate at 5:45, not 4:45. We book a year or more in advance, so we do claim a time early, but even last cruise, booking over a year out we had no choice for early and got anytime, which was fine. We linked with other family who got early, we were left out oddly? Nothing they could do but say sorry, which was fine as we only used MDR twice preferring buffet.

We must be nuts right along with you then :D We decided we had to many other obligations this year and made the decision not to cruise in 2014. We even had one booked for our anniversary in April, and cancelled it a couple months ago. Then yesterday, DH comes to me and says he needs a break, but needs to wait till Feb. Would I be interested in cruising anyway. Baltimore is an hour and a half away, so we booked the Pride tonight! :D I am totally cool with being 'nuts'! :p

IMO wish I lived closer to a port. Leaving out of Billings, Montana, our airfare is usually as much as an inside cabin! :rolleyes:

You might find you're pleasantly surprised with Late Seating. On my 1st cruise in 2003, Mom and I were wait listed for early seating (we booked 2 weeks before the cruise) and were assigned Late which we thought we'd hate. We ended up loving it and now that's the only dinner seating we want!! :D It's great because you don't have to hurry of the deck (and out of the sun) on sea days or hurry back from port to get ready for dinner. And don't forget, there's always the buffet, deli, pizza place, fish and chips, etc if you get hungry before dinner!! :D

You make excellent points! I told DH about your post and he agreed. So, we'll just see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Update: I got an email from Carnival today letting me know that I got "clearance" for early dining. I thought that was nice that they let me know ahead of time. Now all I'll be surprised about is the dining room. I really hope we get the one in the aft since we have a room in the aft on Main Deck.

We booked our cruise 25 days out and are assigned late dining. We will probably try it once and see how long it takes. We really don't like taking 2 hours for dinner, so we don't usually eat in the MDR on our cruises, even on elegant nights for the lobster!

I've been reading a lot about the poor service in the MDR, so I'm skeptical of trying the MDR. I don't really care whether there are table clothes or not...it is the time factor for us.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

On our first cruise in 2000 we asked for early dining, as it was closer to when we ate at home. We got it and enjoyed it, although it sometimes seemed a bit rushed ash the dining room needed to be turned over for late dining. On our second cruise there was a large church-related group that filled up a lot of the early dining slots and we ended up with late dining. Like the poster above, we liked it and have requested late dining for every cruise since then.

I tend to feel rushed at a multi-course meal if it is less than 90 minutes for the experience. Others, of course, would rather finish their meal in 45 minutes or an hour, and they will be hard to satisfy in the main dining room. The more we cruise, the more we figure out what is important to us, and the more we enjoy cruising!