Jewel of the Seas - 11/9 Cruise Review

We used My Time Dining for this cruise. I premade reservations for 6:45 every night. We had requested a table for 2. We were placed toward the back of the Starboard Side Tides Dining Room on Level 5 – Table 626, 629 or 630). We had the same wait staff for every night but 1. We usually sat near the same groups of people. The two tops are only 8 inches or so apart so you do end up talking with those near you. Several nice couples from the east coast, south and Florida. The nice thing is with this slight separation you can have a conversation with just each other or open it up and discuss amongst the tables. Our waiter Joyayya ( I know I did not spell this right) was good – very efficient and we had no issues. One night we ended up coming late and could not get his section. Wow, what a difference between some of the staff. We made sure to tell him the next night that missed him. The food was good, the second formal night we struggled with finding something to eat, but I ended up really enjoying the pasta selection. The new menus have several options that are available every night. No escargot, but the lobster tail on the fisherman’s platter was huge and quite yummy by the way. I struggled with desserts on several nights, I did not even order anything on two or three nights. Too full and nothing was striking my fancy. Just stopped for coconut ranger cookie at Latitudes later!

I know some cruisers can be really picky about food. Portions were fine, plus they will give you another one if you ask for it! Our waiter often brought out an extra something to try. My attitude toward food on a cruise is I did not have to shop, cook, serve or clean it up. It is great! Also with the little gremlins, I mean dear daughters :), at home no one complained that they did not like when served.

We ate in the main dining room all but 1 night. We did dine at Chops. This was great as with our past experiences. The meat was very tender and the sides delicious! We waddled out of there very full after our meal. :eek:

Windjammer was our choice for breakfast and lunch most days. I never had a problem finding something to enjoy. I personally like their pizza and love the French fries. Again, I don’t think the deserts are that great, but it was OK, I did not need it. FYI, the fountain drinks on port side are better than starboard.

One thing I missed was since we only had one sea day, this was the only day the dining room was open for lunch. On the sea day, we took advantage of the early opening hours for Sea View Café. I will really miss this place. The French fries again were great. The Ruben was very yummy as well as the onion rings and other sandwiches. I told my husband we needed to eat there several times since it would be the last time we may ever have the chance. “How do you know?” I just do dear…..(women’s intuition and cruise critic :rolleyes:.) Sea View is open late so a good stop for a late night bite too – just in case you are hungry.

We did order breakfast via the paper slips in the room….note to self, if you order cereal, you need to order milk. You would think it was a given, but nope. Thanks to server he hustled back down to grab a couple cartons.

Finally we had a breakfast in bed certificate from the package we purchased. This breakfast was very good. We even had our choice of Bloody Mary’s or Mimosas.

DSC07299_zps6fc86ae5.jpg

DSC06759_zps7310b657.jpg

Sorry this guy is alittle blurry.....ship must have been really rolling - could not be the photographer!

Oh, final piece of Day 1 information…there was one muster drill and it was at 8:00. It seemed to take forever compared to other times. Not sure if it was due to all announcements being made in multiple languages or just slow. Be prepared to stand for 20 plus minutes. Our station was outside on Deck 5 all the way back. We left pretty close to 8:30. It did start raining so we watched the lights of San Juan disappear from the cover of the balcony - one more point for the aft balcony - you stay dry!

DSC06690_zps7ebf2944.jpg

Little blurry, but I think the ships are so pretty at night....

DSC06694_zpsfef41986.jpg

Our first port of call was St. Thomas. We had been her previously and will be returning in June so this was a lay low day. Take advantage of an empty ship, drink package and the first full day of vacation! Out typical spot was Deck 11, Port – nice breeze, only a couple steps from the pool bar and my new friend Vanessa. We sat in the pool (love the shallow edge) enjoying a nice lava flow (yes it is the am, but as I said, I am on vacation!) and Bat Stanley stold my chair. This was really the only evidence of chair hogs this trip. With so many port days, there was not much difficulty finding a chair in the mornings - can't speak too much for the afternoon but we did not have an issue when we wanted to find a spot.

IMG_0760_zps8e611fe4.jpg

IMG_0761_zpsfe9b0e80.jpg

It also provided a great view of the port and some of the beautiful yachts that dock in the bay. Bat Stanley was admiring the shiny blue one when latter we see this massive one roll on in. Being in the US with cell service still, fired up google…..what did we do before the internet? Meet the Rising Sun, the 10th largest yacht in the world. This thing was impressive. Some of the ship officers were gawking over the rail. Some people in the shops noted that the large yachts are starting to return since hurricane season is over and this is the start of the busy season.

IMG_0762_zps92f90493.jpg

She dwarfed the other large yachts in the marina - 453 feet long (um the Jewel is 962 feet long :eek:). Google let us know this was a 86,000 square feet and cost over $200,000,000 to build back in 2004. It is owned by David Geffen who is the founder of Dreamworks. Again what would we do without Google!

After a quick stroll through the shops on the pier, picking up sun changing jewelry for the girls, we headed back onboard to catch the Chicago Bears game. They played three different games that Sunday in Pit Stop Sports Bar. Some people were not too happy that their game was not on….well this is not Buffalo Wild Wings. It was fun to root on the Bears even with not so happy an ending. Made a dent in the drink package with cold brews. The ship even had chips and salsa out to feed the starving fans – guess this was only Day 2, not one was bursting yet!

IMG_0763_zps3bcdc8dd.jpg

Some shots from Sail Away.....we were very blessed with the weather this trip....it rained a couple times at night, but during the day sun, sun, sun. I two or three minute shower but it was still sunny! Was great, especially since Chicago got their first snow while we were gone...Makes you feel giddy about missing it and being warm!

DSC06724_zps09e7bf1f.jpg

DSC06725_zpsda190723.jpg

Ummm....who's driving? Do I need to send Bat Stanley up there???

DSC06736_zps2e8667f0.jpg

DSC06742_zpsa5bc0e2c.jpg

DSC06750_zps5741b969.jpg

So glad you're posting the compasses!! I'm on the alternate itinerary in March, but LOVING this review so far!!! Thanks!

I'm sailing with printingchick in March and have subscribed to this review. I'm looking forward to the next installments. I'm curious about your favorite bartender Vanessa. Do you, by chance have a photo of her? We a fabulous Champagne Bar bartender, Vanessa, on Serenade and would be SO excited if it's the same person!

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

I'm sailing with printingchick in March and have subscribed to this review. I'm looking forward to the next installments. I'm curious about your favorite bartender Vanessa. Do you, by chance have a photo of her? We a fabulous Champagne Bar bartender, Vanessa, on Serenade and would be SO excited if it's the same person!

Sorry, no photo but it was Vanessa Baptiste - she was from Trindad Barbados, great accent with long curly black hair...think it was small braids. Maybe that helps?

Karen

More compasses and review coming the weekend!

Can't wait to read more. We are sailing on the Jewel B2B In March 2014.

Loving your review so far. Helps to keep the dream alive. Thank you for taking the time to do it for us.

Hi, we are doing the same B2B. See you there.

We will be on the same sailings

No judgment here on the drinks!~! :D It IS a vacation!

Your very funny, like that! ;)

Sorry, no photo but it was Vanessa Baptiste - she was from Trindad Barbados, great accent with long curly black hair...think it was small braids. Maybe that helps?

Karen

More compasses and review coming the weekend!

I think maybe it's the same Vanessa. Let me see if I have a photo.

Am excited to continue to read your review! Great information! I am a little concerned about the excessive boat rocking you have mentioned. Do either of you ever get motion sick on "land" (car, roller coasters, etc)?? We have an aft balcony on Jewel in March, and I want to be prepared for what the feeling may be like.

Thanks for the great review!

Am excited to continue to read your review! Great information! I am a little concerned about the excessive boat rocking you have mentioned. Do either of you ever get motion sick on "land" (car, roller coasters, etc)?? We have an aft balcony on Jewel in March, and I want to be prepared for what the feeling may be like.

Thanks for the great review!

Hi. I was on the same sailing as the OP. As a matter of fact, we met and talked several times! Hi Karen, great review! I did not have any problem with ship movement. However, I was in cabin 9078, mid-ship. I told Karen that ginger capsules have worked well for me in the past, with zero side effects. You may want to investigate that route. The motion sickness aroma-therapy oil Karen used smelled REALLY GOOD. Maybe she will share where she bought it......?

Hi. I was on the same sailing as the OP. As a matter of fact, we met and talked several times! Hi Karen, great review! I did not have any problem with ship movement. However, I was in cabin 9078, mid-ship. I told Karen that ginger capsules have worked well for me in the past, with zero side effects. You may want to investigate that route. The motion sickness aroma-therapy oil Karen used smelled REALLY GOOD. Maybe she will share where she bought it......?

Did you leave the cabin in good shape? :D That's where I'll be in January :) How was the noise level in the cabin :confused:

edit: I just saw that you also have a review thread - I'll go see what you have to say over there :)

Edited by Cruzin-K

Following both OP and khm1 review since we are going on the 7th Dec. What did you do in Martinque. trying to find o away to get a cab and see the island. Hope cab has English speaking driver and takes American money. my high school French won't cut it.

Did you leave the cabin in good shape? :D That's where I'll be in January :) How was the noise level in the cabin :confused:

edit: I just saw that you also have a review thread - I'll go see what you have to say over there :)

Yes, the cabin was in good shape when we left! However, I hope that you like a firm bed. The bed in this cabin (9078) was the hardest that we have ever had on RCL. Also, this cabin is not good if you go to bed early. The noise and music from the Centrum permeated our cabin. It was generally over by midnight. The cabin location was great for us. We also loved the large balcony and the angle of the balcony gave us a nice forward view.