Question about Cigarettes

d-lite-n-cruisin

Just completed my 3rd cruise since July. Miracle , Magic and Conquest had slightly different brands. The cost was about $35 per carton for me but there were some "deals" like a five carton bundle for just over $100. You need to be aware that the limit for duty free is one carton per adult. I have been told buy early in the cruise for best selections, declare what you bought and most times customs will let you slide unless you have a ridiculously large number. I am not sure what the tax is per carton when you bring them into the country but I know it is less than the fine if they find them. Also, if you buy them on the ship there is a paper trail.

You need to be aware that the limit for duty free is one carton per adult.

That changes depending on what ports you visit. From US Customs and Border Protection website: Once every 31 days, a resident returning from travel from American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), or the Virgin Islands of the United States may import 1,000 cigarettes (5 cartons), not more than 200 of which acquired elsewhere than in such locations

So, in other words, if one of your ports is St. Thomas your duty free limit will be 5 cartons.

I am not sure what the tax is per carton when you bring them into the country.

It's just over $10 per carton, and it must be paid in cash.

We have purchased the 5 carton deal each cruise for about $110.

We always claim them on customs forms and have only been charged once--$20.

This was for 9 cartons left and we were over on booze too.

Often times they do not even look at the form.

Be honest, you do not want to be fined by them, in case you get an officer having a bad day :o

I remember going through Customs in Charlotte after a trip to St Maarten. We had 5 cartons and we were only supposed to have 2. The agent said he was supposed to charge us an extra $10 a carton, but he said forget about it. Even if he charged us - still a steal 20/carton instead of the 100/carton we pay at home