College students numbers-early May-Miami departure

kimmi5207

I'm looking at a cruise for myself and my son. After his first year of college we went on a cruise out of Galveston in mid May before the prices increased/before regular school was dismissed for the year. The first 2 days of the cruise he nearly drove me crazy hanging around the room watching tv because he couldn't find anyone his age-that awkward cruise age between 18-20. Not to mention that the overall age demographic on the cruise was older than what we were used to. (I'm a single mom late 30's, quiet, he's a very social outgoing child)

I'm considering a cruise of of Miami this time, around May 11th-literally the day after college gets out. He will be 21. For those who may have taken early May cruises out of Miami, is there a decent amount of young college age adults? Or does the age still trend higher even in Florida since it's so early in May?

We've been on about 9 cruises, so we've been to most of the standard E, S, and W Caribbean islands. I wanted to do something different this time around. (Aruba, Grand Turk, La Romana, Dominican Republic, and Curaçao)The itinerary is only offered a few times a year-it's offered 1-2x a month during the summer but he may attend summer classes to get ahead. Not to mention its $400/pp cheaper In May,

Any personal experience on early May cruises? If he will be bored out of his mind we will find something else to do.

Thanks!

I would rather be the only person my age group on a cruise than to be on land. Cruises are amazing, no matter how you look at it.

There is no way to predict the breakdown of age groups with the 18-20 year olds.

Edited by arush5268d

Not sure, but we're taking DD's in mid May on Liberty as a college graduation present. She actually graduates about 2 weeks earlier. I've told her she can take a couple of friends if they pay their own way. DD's have their own balcony beside ours. Why not let him invite a friend?

Or, if you want to go May 17 on Liberty from Cape Canaveral there will be at least 1, maybe 3, 21 yoa girls.