recife

forever2

Colonial Olinda is usually the sight of first choice (a short taxi ride from the port), and could take most of a day.

The unique sculpture park and studio Olaria Brennand is also quite interesting, and the older part of Recife (Recife Velho) is worth a look.

Boa Viagem is an urban beach, a strip of sand across the street from the towering high rise residences that line that road. It is pretty quiet during the week, but crowded with locals and packed in with chairs and vendors on weekends. There are prominent signs warning that surfing is prohibited because of sharks and that swimming is also a risk. I've risked going in, but only next to some young kids, more tender shark bait than me, and then no deeper than my knees.

I'm usually driving around with one of my local friends, so I can't help much with taxi fare estimates. Sorry.

I still suggest Olaria Brennand. Very unique. Take a look on YouTube.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I know you said you're in Recife for a day so I'm not sure you have time, but Porto de Galinhas, just to the south is arguably the best beach in Brazil - much nicer than the urban beaches like Boa Viagem, although obviously you have to factor in the travel time.

If you're not really beach people, though, Olinda really is lovely... :)

• 5 months later...

Boa Viagem is the main beach for the city, and a majority of larger, upscale hotels are in that area. You may well be staying there. Lots of taxis. It's a decent beach. You will have signs, in Portuguese and English, saying that in that area you have a greater than average chance of shark attack (they don't define average). I've seen locals swim in the tide pools especially at low ride, to reduce their risk. Not sure of the water's cleanliness. Recife is an interesting city, but crime high enough that you want to use street smarts and keep an eye on valuables. Don't walk around with more than you can afford to lose (use your hotel's safe). I know of no hop-on/hop-off bus, but other than Old Recife and Olinda, I'm not sure where you'd go anyway.

Recife does have one of the country's nicer airports. Not saying a lot, but you appreciate what you can.

Edited by Fattony

Well, the Olaria Brennand is a unique outdoor ceramic sculpture museum and art studio.

Bar Biruta, overlooking the beach in Brasilia Teimoso (far end of the beach) or Casa dos Banhos (historic, on a narrow jetty/reef facing the old city)are pleasant places to have a drink and a bite to eat. Recife has some of the best food in Brazil IMHO!!!

The Brennand castle (yes, a castle, of a cousin of the artist above) has some decent art for its size and location, and an interesting armory collection.

Shall I go on?

You really ought to visit and see for yourself.