Before Cruise Possible Activities Help

BazAl

Heya,

So I need advice on how to arrange/do things... first of all I'm taking a South Caribbean Cruise on May 24-May 31 and start work on Monday. I want to add a couple of days unto my cruise and do a few things in San Juan IF POSSIBLE.

I will be honest - I have a **** **** **** of a boss... what's worse is he's retiring in March 14 and the new boss is supposed to be worse (from those who know him)... in other words I am guaranteed a week for my cruise but anything extra is just hope. What's worse is my week is during Memorial Day so flights are expensive and again because I am planning for extra days in San Juan (IF the new boss decides to bestow his mercy on me...), I can't book my flights until less than 1 month before my cruise (because that is when I will know if my extra days of have been approved).

So... trying to condense as much as possible in as little days. So my questions are...

1- Just exactly how close in proximity are things - talking about the cruise port, San Juan, lodgings, airport etc

2- I'm interested in the Rain Forests and the Caves - exactly how many days do I need for those? I plan on going on a guided tour (have to look up to see what's available). I understand the caves are huge and there's many of them - distance from San Juan/Cruise Port?

3- Anything else I should look into while I'm there?

4- Other suggestions?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

First - is there any chance your current boss would approve the extra time now and then you could just "inform" the new boss that it is preapproved? You might luck in to flights that aren't ridiculously expensive - but it would be much better to book in advance.

Are you going to try to add days before or after the cruise.

You will be in PR the perfect time for viewing the Bioluminescent Bay. We have done this 4 times and just love it. It is a unique experience that can only be done a few places in the world.

This would be my plan.

I would rent a car at the airport and drive to the Fajardo area and stay at The El Conquistador. This is an incredible resort with a private island beach. We've had a fabulous time every time we have stayed here.

In the morning, drive to the rainforest and hike to the falls for a swim. Then, you could drive back to the resort for the rest of the day. That night - do the kayak(not electric boat) tour of the Biobay - AMAZING!

The next day drive to Old San Juan for one night. You can sleep in and enjoy the resort before leaving. I'd choose a hotel in San Juan(Sheraton, Mirador, etc.) - can return Hertz rental at the Sheraton. Use the free trolley that circles old San Juan. Tour El Morro and walk around Old San Juan - The Forteleza de la Princessa is very nice.

Just my opinion, but, I'd skip the caves. We have caves in Pennsylvania that are much more impressive. If you've seen caves or have the opportunity to do it from home - I wouldn't waste the time in Puerto Rico. It is a long drive and not much to see(JMHO).

Edited by #1TravelMom
Mispelled the name of the fort

I agree with #1TravelMom for EL Yunque and BioBay day. The Conquistador has a great private island beach, so that is real nice.

But I assume #1TravelMom only has been to Camuy Caves (which I agree are not SO amazing compared to others in the States). But I would suggest you (both) go to Cueva Ventana and Cueva del Indio. If you are not renting a car, you will probably have to find a private tour to do these less visited but more amazing places.

Very easy to drive in P.R. highways just as good or better as any big city. Start making some rental reservations now--don't need to put any $ down but you'll lock in some prices.

1- I love El Yunque---Drive there in the am and then spend the day a Luquillo Beach--AMAZING!!! Super safe, you pay about $5/car, they have showers, lockers, food, everything you need and IT"S REAL--not like some of the fake/man made beaches on some islands. We're flying in at noon and going directly to Luquillo (about 1hr from airport)

2. I've stayed at Conquistador and it's wonderful but very $$$. If you're going to be out all day, coming back to sleep, I'd stay in a local B&B, with free breakfast, free parking, local flavor and 1/2 the $$$.

3. Aside from the SJ think of driving south to Ponce (second largest city). Under 1hr. on highway. google Ponce for ideas.

4. Easily spend the night or keep driving west to Mayaguez (3rd city). Explore the observatory at night (check schedule). Also beaches of Rincon and best PR seafood in small town of Joyuda.

5. On your final day or pre-cruse you can drive back from Mayaguez on "old road" about 3 hrs. right in the middle of island with plenty of photo stops, and local food dives, street vendors, and a feel of real PR hospitality OR get back on the highway and you're back in SJ in no time.

We've also done a day trip from SJ to Mayaquez--leaving on the scenic road, and after eating in Joyuda back on the highway to SJ. (this is an all day tour which is why I would spend the night if you've never done it before)

6. Of course give yourself at least 1 one relaxing morning/afternoon to just wander the Old forths of OSJ and take the free trolleys around.

7. When you're done you can take a bus right from Old San Juan to the perfect beach of Ocean Park (between Condado and Isla Verde). Pick up a cheap cooler, some food/drinks and forget about your boss.

Caution: If you start with Ocean Park you might not want to leave.

enjoy-