Altun Ha/River Wallace review

01Sweetpea

We were on the 7/3 Miracle and did this tour thru Carnival on 7/7. This was the only tour we took thru Carnival, and it was well worth it!!!

There were 5 of us on this tour, me & DH (30's) and our 3 kids (12,9,9). We were in Belize from 8-5 EST, with the last tender being at 4:30 EST. We were told to be in the Phantom Lounge at 8:30 for a 8:45 tender. Got right on a tender and were in Belize by 9am, then tenders are quick.

As soon as you get off the tender the tour guides bring you into a building and separate you into 2 groups, those that will do the ruins first, and those that do the River tour first. We did the River tour first and were glad we did, it was HOT!!!

The river tour takes about 2 hours in an uncovered speed boat. Bring SUNSCREEN, WATER, and a HAT (that you WILL need to hold onto). On the river part we saw manatee noses, howler monkeys, iguanas, 2 dolphins, alot of different types of birds, flora, and fauna. I found it very interesting, and seeing the river dolphins was my favorite part.

After the river tour they bring you a "cultural center" where you can get a meal of chicken, rice & beans, and a small salad for $5. It was very tasty, and well worth the money. You can also shop here. We spent about 30 minutes here before we got onto the air conditioned busses and took the 1/2 hour ride to the ruins.

The Mayan Ruins were very interesting. It's a small spot, which was nice because it was VERY HOT by the time we got there. BRING BUG SPRAY!!! Our tour guide gave us the info on the ruins. There weren't alot of people there so I was able to take alot of pictures of the ruins without anyone in them. We were able to cimb one ruin, but I saw other people climbing other ruins as well. One was enough for me!

There is a small place to shop and get drinks as you leave the ruins. Back onto the air conditioned busses for the 1 1/2 hour bus ride back. Our tour guide did have the bus stop by the side of the road to get fresh mangos for anyone who wanted them. You did have to eat them before you left Belize, you can't bring fruit back on the ship.

We were a little late getting back to the port and people were getting a little anxious about time, but we were fine. Hopped onto the tender and was back on the Miracle in no time!

We had a great time, and were glad we did this excursion.

Sweetpea

Thank you so much for your review. I was planning to take this tour and was a little uncertain until now. I really think my kids will like this and we can't wait. We are on the Elation December 4, 2005 with me, hubby, son 6 years and son almost 3 years. Hopefully it won't be as hot for us but which do you think we should do first (do you get to choose or do they choose for you)? River part? We can't wait only 140 some odd days to go.:) Was the chicken and beans very spicy? Should we bring snacks for the day? Water too? Any extra tips would be most appreciated.

Okiemom - I'm GLAD we chose the river part first. I would think spending 2 hours on a boat SLOOOWLY cruising down a river in the blazing afternoon July heat would be unbearable. Not sure what the weather is like in December. Our tour guide did say that the animals tend to be out more in the morning than in the afternoon, but again that was for July.Chicken and rice & beans, not spicy at all. Very good in fact, we all ate it. ABSOLUTELY bring water... and lots of it. I would bring a small snack as well. We didn't and after the Mayan ruins we spent $10 US on dortios and soda for the 5 of us. The price balanced out... the soda was underpriced and the doritos were overpriced.

Great! If we get to pick then we will do the river part first. The more animals the better. Our 6 year old is so excited about Belize. He has told everyone about it. Thanks for your help. Did you take any pictures? Would love to show him what we have to look forward to.:) mrscedwards@hotmail.com if you have some that you are willing to share.

Thanks

Cheryl

We sailed the Glory 4/9 and did Goff's Caye. We heard rave reviews about this tour on our cruise and continue to do so on this board. If we go to Belize again, will assuredly do this tour. In Belize, we felt so much more comfortable doing a ship sponsored tour...no worries especially since the tender is quite a distance. On Goff's Caye, we were picked right up at the ship so it was great!

Sweetpea, thanks for posting. It was great to hear your experiences. We are going in August, and I'm hoping our cruise is not diverted from this port! Will let you know how our tour was. Thanks for telling us the chicken and rice wasn't spicy. I don't do spicy! Now I know it'll be ok to eat.

Per the Carnival Website:

This excursion is actually two amazing excursions rolled into one. It’s a cruise down the Belize River and a journey to the ancient ceremonial center of Altun Ha.

On this dual excursion you will:

• Explore the Rio Wallace -- home to crocodiles, manatee and even dolphin.
  • Visit the Mayan city located only seven miles from the sea and surrounded by rainforest.
  • See the site where the famous nine and a half pound jade head of the sun god Kinich Ahau was discovered.
  • Explore two plazas and thirteen structures at the epicenter of this Mayan ceremonial site.
  • Climb the prepared stone steps to the top of the main temples.

Notes: Your river trip will be approximately 1-¼ hours, and since the boats are uncovered, a hat and sunscreen are recommended. Restrooms are available at Altun Ha.

Your return bus trip is approximately 45 minutes and the excursion may operate in reverse depending on participation.

Infants, ages 0-3, participating in this shore excursion must have a ticket purchased for them.

spacer.gif 6 Hours spacer.gif[/url] spacer.gif spacer.gif $69.00*

Hope this helps!

We are going to do this tour as well.:) Just need to come up with $276.00 for the tour.:( I wish they wouldn't charge for the 2 year old. Since he will be sitting on our lap the whole time and we will be the ones taking care of him. Oh Well, that's life I guess.

We are going to do this tour as well.:) Just need to come up with $276.00 for the tour.:( I wish they wouldn't charge for the 2 year old. Since he will be sitting on our lap the whole time and we will be the ones taking care of him. Oh Well, that's life I guess.

Don't be suprised if he is walking about the boat for awhile. At times the boat goes VEEERRRRY slow and stop to see the wildlife, especially if you spot dolphins and monkeys. But when the boat gets going, hang onto your hat.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

We did this tour a couple years ago, and it sounded very similar to what you experienced. Saw monkeys, dolphins, manatees, alligators, iguanas. Great excursion, and I am one to usually not book through Carnival. We did the rivere first, and got on the last boat, which was great because it was only half full. Just a tip if anyone books it. Be the last off the tender!

Per the Carnival Website:

This excursion is actually two amazing excursions rolled into one. It’s a cruise down the Belize River and a journey to the ancient ceremonial center of Altun Ha.

On this dual excursion you will:

• Explore the Rio Wallace -- home to crocodiles, manatee and even dolphin.
  • Visit the Mayan city located only seven miles from the sea and surrounded by rainforest.
  • See the site where the famous nine and a half pound jade head of the sun god Kinich Ahau was discovered.
  • Explore two plazas and thirteen structures at the epicenter of this Mayan ceremonial site.
  • Climb the prepared stone steps to the top of the main temples.

Notes: Your river trip will be approximately 1-¼ hours, and since the boats are uncovered, a hat and sunscreen are recommended. Restrooms are available at Altun Ha.

Your return bus trip is approximately 45 minutes and the excursion may operate in reverse depending on participation.

Infants, ages 0-3, participating in this shore excursion must have a ticket purchased for them.

spacer.gif 6 Hours spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif $69.00*

Hope this helps!

Book the tour early!! We are taking this tour in a few weeks and we are paying $77.00 each, and had the option of leaving later for $99.00 each. The longer you waiting the greater the chance the price will increase. That's true of all excursions through Carnival.

Archived