Rough Seas Recently?

KristiandEvan

I just got off the Sunshine yesterday and the entire week was awful. I have never been on a ship that pitched and rolled like that one. I don't know if the stabilizers were broken or if the ship is just "top" heavy from adding a few extra decks and a waterworks to a vessel that was not designed for it. I have never been sea sick in my entire life but it got me on this cruise.

We were on Sensation over Thanksgiving, and the Saturday night on the way home, we were only going 9knots, and we were rocking and rolling so much that I got nauseous. I have never gotten nauseous in the 10+ cruises we've been on. You just never know. Thankfully I had Pepto to help me out.

I just got off the Sunshine yesterday and the entire week was awful. I have never been on a ship that pitched and rolled like that one. I don't know if the stabilizers were broken or if the ship is just "top" heavy from adding a few extra decks and a waterworks to a vessel that was not designed for it. I have never been sea sick in my entire life but it got me on this cruise.

There's been a few strong weather fronts move through lately. Things should be simmering down by now. There are no new storms forming out West or over the Gulf, so I'm assuming the recent rough weather was a fluke. FWIW, we had 8 foot swells on the Victory sailing out of San Juan last December. Ship seemed to handle it OK, but there was no doubt we were moving... I'm still amazed however that these large vessels move around so much...

Edited by Chathamite

I had the same experience on the Splendor in Sept. I rarely get seasick and was down for the count the last 2 1/2 days.

It was a HUGE bummer.

I have friends on the Pride that left yesterday who called me from the Platinum waiting area that they were contained in for 3 1/2 hours due to the Pride being late due to bad weather

I hope that they have a smooth ride on this leg:D

Our cruise director said they were 17 foot seas and it was the roughest of the year. We did have a few fronts come through Florida which were probably responsible for this

Things get fun at about 25-30 feet. :p

We've rarely had rough seas in hurricane season. January seems to routinely have a day or so of noticeable seas. May out of Baltimore was our roughest sailing where we had two straight days of stormy seas. We've also hit rocky waters in November.

This past January I woke up about 5am on the Liberty on our last sea day and the ship was REALLY moving. Got up, went up to Lido and got some coffee - the elevators were banging around in the shafts and not working. I walked all over the ship enjoying up and down. I got down near guest services and the waves crashing on the hull sounded like thunder. The ship was deserted and I really enjoyed wandering around and feeling the power of the sea. When we got home I looked up the ship's reports online and they were reporting 8 meter waves early that morning.

We just got off the Liberty Saturday. The first day out of Miami was great, but heading down to St. Thomas/San Juan - we had 2 really rough nights. Our cabin was in the front by the secret deck - 6203 and the bumpy ride and sound of the waves hitting the hull kept me awake most of those 2 nights. Thankfully, I don't get sea sick. It settled down but the last day/night the winds were so strong, they closed down the upper decks and the secret decks.

That night we were rocking and rolling so much that I almost rolled out of bed!:eek:

We were on the same cruise and I agree it was pretty rough a few nights. We had two in our party sick for most of the cruise.

Was on Sunshine last week (Thanksgiving) & yes, the seas were rough. Glad I packed Bonine for my husband & daughter! No one else in my family got sick except my 18 yr old son after a day in Sr. Frogs in Cozumel. Can't blame that on bad weather; just my son & waitresses pouring tequila down the throats of many young kids!!

Was on Sunshine last week (Thanksgiving) & yes, the seas were rough. Glad I packed Bonine for my husband & daughter! No one else in my family got sick except my 18 yr old son after a day in Sr. Frogs in Cozumel. Can't blame that on bad weather; just my son & waitresses pouring tequila down the throats of many young kids!!

I agree, Bonine is amazing stuff. I also augmented this with 12hr Gravol when needed (Dramamine). Nobody had any issues with motion sickness and there were 9 in our group last year. The key is PREVENTION. A tablet a day is worth a little grogginess rather than a spoiled vacation, IMO.

Edited by Chathamite

Things get fun at about 25-30 feet. :p

We've rarely had rough seas in hurricane season. January seems to routinely have a day or so of noticeable seas. May out of Baltimore was our roughest sailing where we had two straight days of stormy seas. We've also hit rocky waters in November.

This past January I woke up about 5am on the Liberty on our last sea day and the ship was REALLY moving. Got up, went up to Lido and got some coffee - the elevators were banging around in the shafts and not working. I walked all over the ship enjoying up and down. I got down near guest services and the waves crashing on the hull sounded like thunder. The ship was deserted and I really enjoyed wandering around and feeling the power of the sea. When we got home I looked up the ship's reports online and they were reporting 8 meter waves early that morning.

Where do you find the ship's reports? That would be interesting to read:)

I've lived by the water my entire life. Just so you know, the water on the gulf side is ALWAYS calmer than that on the Atlantic side. Miami is usually a rough port to go out of, the same with Fort Lauderdale. It's weird to but during the "winter" time in Florida, the seas are always a bit rougher than they are during the summer.

Hurricane season really has nothing to do with the waves here....unless there's a hurricane....but those are the best. Go to the beach during like a category 1 or 2 storm and then you'll see rough seas. (Sorry, it's the thrill of living in Florida...you can get a hurricane day off work and go to beach and watch kiteboarders and see s**t fly)

Edited by RedLightVegas

Just checked the link for the ship's data and, yep, on 11/25 the waves were 5 meters! :eek: Glad for you those really big waves were just that day!

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=C6FN4

Edited by Laurin612