Anticipation of 2015 Schedule

deladypilot

According to a report by multiple local Miami news outlets, Norwegian Cruise Line has signed a deal with PortMiami to base another new build at the port beginning in 2015.

Joe-Farcus-148-300x224.jpgThe deal, which was approved earlier this week by the Miami-Dade County Commissioners, will have Norwegian base one of its new builds and hold the new build’s christening ceremonies at PortMiami. In exchange, PortMiami will pay Norwegian $3 million for marketing costs until the ship’s arrival in 2015. The ship most likely to homeport at PortMiami in this case is the upcoming Norwegian Escape, the first Breakaway Plus class ship, which will debut in the fall of 2015.

The deal, which will require the new ship to be base at PortMiami for at least three years, does not state whether the ship will be based year round or seasonal at the port.

At the time of publication, Norwegian Cruise Line had not yet replied to a request for comment on the deal.

The Norwegian Escape will be joining her slightly smaller sister, Norwegian Getaway, at PortMiami in 2015. The Norwegian Getaway begins year round Caribbean sailings from PortMiami in February 2014.

Source: Cruise Current

According to a report by multiple local Miami news outlets, Norwegian Cruise Line has signed a deal with PortMiami to base another new build at the port beginning in 2015.

Joe-Farcus-148-300x224.jpgThe deal, which was approved earlier this week by the Miami-Dade County Commissioners, will have Norwegian base one of its new builds and hold the new build’s christening ceremonies at PortMiami. In exchange, PortMiami will pay Norwegian $3 million for marketing costs until the ship’s arrival in 2015. The ship most likely to homeport at PortMiami in this case is the upcoming Norwegian Escape, the first Breakaway Plus class ship, which will debut in the fall of 2015.

The deal, which will require the new ship to be base at PortMiami for at least three years, does not state whether the ship will be based year round or seasonal at the port.

At the time of publication, Norwegian Cruise Line had not yet replied to a request for comment on the deal.

The Norwegian Escape will be joining her slightly smaller sister, Norwegian Getaway, at PortMiami in 2015. The Norwegian Getaway begins year round Caribbean sailings from PortMiami in February 2014.

Source: Cruise Current

Why is the port of Miami paying NCL 3 million?

Why is the port of Miami paying NCL 3 million?

I thought it was strange too that a cruise company would be paid by a city to host a new ship there. Why would they want to do that? Isn't there a better way to spend money for a city than on luring a cruise ship into it? I don't think Port Everglades could accommodate a new ship anyway.

It seems certain Epic is going to Europe year round. It's a shame because while you couldn't see the ocean too much insider her, the layout was a lot more roomier than the Breakaway. :(

I thought it was strange too that a cruise company would be paid by a city to host a new ship there. Why would they want to do that? Isn't there a better way to spend money for a city than on luring a cruise ship into it? I don't think Port Everglades could accommodate a new ship anyway.

It seems certain Epic is going to Europe year round. It's a shame because while you couldn't see the ocean too much insider her, the layout was a lot more roomier than the Breakaway. :(

Why because the get the money back 10 fold. Port fees for 4200 passengers every week. Hotel tax revenue. Sales tax revenue. Millions of dollars a year pumped into the local economy year round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I thought it was strange too that a cruise company would be paid by a city to host a new ship there. Why would they want to do that? Isn't there a better way to spend money for a city than on luring a cruise ship into it? I don't think Port Everglades could accommodate a new ship anyway.(

I know here in Houston the city spent millions building the cruise port, that then sat unused/empty for years . The only time it was used was for a few months when Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, then it went right back to sitting empty again.

The city paid NCL and Princess to bring ships here. I found it odd too, but the alternative is a very expensive, state of the art cruise port - continuing to sit empty.

I find it hard to imagine Fort Lauderdale sitting empty. But I guess they saw the economics being in their favor having another ship there.

I know here in Houston the city spent millions building the cruise port, that then sat unused/empty for years . The only time it was used was for a few months when Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, then it went right back to sitting empty again.

The city paid NCL and Princess to bring ships here. I found it odd too, but the alternative is a very expensive, state of the art cruise port - continuing to sit empty.

I find it hard to imagine Fort Lauderdale sitting empty. But I guess they saw the economics being in their favor having another ship there.

Norfolk va is another waste if ports build for cruise ships

They go no where and yet the city spent money thinking they would bring what more people to the area

We have never spent more than 1 night if that in any city that we cruise from or two

And I don't see city manager giving the ok to Pay cruise lines to port in area

Even as cruise lovers myself I would not my city to waste money on something few people would gain from

For us it's not the place it leaves from but the places it goes and the ship we will be going on....

Give us a good ship and good cruise and who cares it's starting point

Maybe it's that we have have traveled most places while not on cruise so it's not a issue

Boston renovated their cruise terminal (if you can call it that) and they already were locked into a 10 year contract which was renewed by NCL. The new terminal is basically the same gutted out old building used back in yesteryear to take goods off of sailing ships. It still has the pulleys to do that on the building! Somehow this year we had Carnival cruises originating from here as well doing short stints to Halifax.

I can understand what you mean when there's a new facility built that sits empty. Cruise lines say they bring in a lot of revenue for the city's they are based out of. For hotels, that's quite possibly true and the city could recover the money in hotel taxes for the people who like to fly in the day before to make sure they get on the boat. However, those flying in same day spend little to no money in the embarkation city so there's no recovery for incentives - especially that large.

If Miami and Port Everglades were to withdraw the incentives to their respective cruise companies then where would all the ships leave from? The same places! None of the other ports in the area could handle all the capacity some of these ships hold. They're not designed for it mega ships (having two gangways for one ship). If NCL didn't put Escape in Miami I'm not sure where they would have put her. Port Canaveral could have handled her perhaps but getting to there is an issue because of the distance from the airport.

Boston renovated their cruise terminal (if you can call it that) and they already were locked into a 10 year contract which was renewed by NCL. The new terminal is basically the same gutted out old building used back in yesteryear to take goods off of sailing ships. It still has the pulleys to do that on the building! Somehow this year we had Carnival cruises originating from here as well doing short stints to Halifax.

I can understand what you mean when there's a new facility built that sits empty. Cruise lines say they bring in a lot of revenue for the city's they are based out of. For hotels, that's quite possibly true and the city could recover the money in hotel taxes for the people who like to fly in the day before to make sure they get on the boat. However, those flying in same day spend little to no money in the embarkation city so there's no recovery for incentives - especially that large.

If Miami and Port Everglades were to withdraw the incentives to their respective cruise companies then where would all the ships leave from? The same places! None of the other ports in the area could handle all the capacity some of these ships hold. They're not designed for it mega ships (having two gangways for one ship). If NCL didn't put Escape in Miami I'm not sure where they would have put her. Port Canaveral could have handled her perhaps but getting to there is an issue because of the distance from the airport.

Apparently the Star is going to Port Canaveral so I don’t think you’ll see her there.

These deals are worth 10's of millions of dollars to the cities bringing in the ships. Port fee's, hotels taxes, cabs, resupply of the ships! If a city wants to get rid of the cruise ships, there are always cities waiting to pay to get them. If NYC wanted to get out of the cruise business, Boston, Liberty City, Charleston and most of Florida would sign up immediately to take over and get the ships in. This is a huge business and cities fight for the business. Plus there is a bit of prestige in having a cruise port. Same thing happens when airports want more planes, they pay the airlines to add flights.

With RCCL building a third Oasis class ship (not in Finland like the two previous ones, *sniff* ;)) and other new builds also surely following these mega ships, I'm sure that there are more than few port cities racing to get deals with cruise lines and willing to expand their terminals to accommodate mega ships too. Remember that for example Bliss is coming only in 2017 and as said, mega ships are unlikely to stop there so there is plenty of time still for expansions.