taxi around the island

We would like to go to Maho Beach to see the planes, the French side of the island for some culture and Orient or other beach so the kids can swim and play for a few hours.

We do not want to rent a car and drive ourselves.

Would it be realistic to take taxis from one place to another? Can anyone help me with the price of taxi to from these places? There will be 4 of us, possibly 6

After more searching, I have found this chart. It states rates are based on 2 people, with extra passengers being $3 per person. Do these rates seem accurate?

From To Fare

Juliana Marigot $20(USD)

Juliana Maho $6(USD)

Juliana Grand Case $25(USD)

Juliana Nettle Bay $15(USD)

Juliana Orient Bay $25(USD)

Juliana Pinel Island $30(USD)

Juliana Philipsburg $18(USD)

Philipsburg Zoo $8(USD)

Philipsburg Marigot $20(USD)

Philipsburg Orient Beach $18(USD)

Philipsburg Paradise Peak $22(USD)

Philipsburg Pinel Island $25(USD)

Marigot Grand Case $10(USD)

Edited by cruise cruise cruise

• 2 weeks later...
Holy smokes!! So for 5 people from the cruise pier to Orient beach it will cost $54? Is this correct? If so, I should rent a car.

For 5 people the cost would be $7 pp each way to Orient beach and for 6-14 people the cost would be $6 pp each way.

We would like to go to Maho Beach to see the planes, the French side of the island for some culture and Orient or other beach so the kids can swim and play for a few hours.

We do not want to rent a car and drive ourselves.

Would it be realistic to take taxis from one place to another? Can anyone help me with the price of taxi to from these places? There will be 4 of us, possibly 6

Not sure about cost of taxis, but we took a tour with Noel's tours that basically circled the island and included stops at Orient Beach, Maho Beach, the market in Marigot, an iguana habitat, and a shore stop to look at some of the local sea life. Cost was $40/pp and I think the tour lasted about 3-4 hours.

Not sure about cost of taxis, but we took a tour with Noel's tours that basically circled the island and included stops at Orient Beach, Maho Beach, the market in Marigot, an iguana habitat, and a shore stop to look at some of the local sea life. Cost was $40/pp and I think the tour lasted about 3-4 hours.

Yes, that's great for a couple. But if you are a family of four on a budget, renting a car is the only affordable way to go.

Yes, that's great for a couple. But if you are a family of four on a budget, renting a car is the only affordable way to go.

For $4pp round trip you can catch the bus in town and taxi to Mullet Bay beach and walk 15 minutes to Maho Beach and then bus back. Basically for the cost of the gas for the rental your family of four can do this. Of course this would include about 45 -60 minutes of walking in divided doses. We met folks at the Fort in Marigot that had bussed there as well. We met them later on the ship and they told us that they had gone all the way to Grand Case and back by bus that day.

Edited by Karysa

OK, that's of interest. Which taxi is $4pp roundtrip, from where to where? Then the bus. Any info on bus routes?

Of course that was a typo. It should read bus not taxi. For $4 round trip you would probably get as far as Chesterfields which is a 5 minute walk. It's about a 30 minute drive to Mullet from town and longer in traffic or if you get a bridge. No better value than a bus unless of course you like very long walks.;). Then again you would pay more than $4 round trip in shoe leather and drinks if you walk all the way to Mullet from the pier.

The bus can be caught on back street in Phillipsburg. It would take about 15 minutes to get there from the pier. It's a easy walk. Many folks travel by bus. Do a search at the top of this page to read about the various places that cruisers have travelled to by bus.

Personally with a family with kids, I wouldn't do the bus thing. Even tho it is the cheapest way to travel, if you are unfamiliar with the area, not the way to go.

Either

do a private tour.....

just pick two or three places to go and use cabs.....

use the ship excursions or.....

rent a car and take along a great map labeled with points of interest.

I'd do a private tour. With five in your group, you will save stress and worry.

Edited by eandj

Thanks. We just returned from a week aboard MSC Divina. We ended up using Arthurs car rental, just outside the gate. There were six cruise ships in that day and very busy. The car was not the one promised, but we had a great time anyway. First to Marigot where we climbed the fort, then to Friar's Bay beach with a great hike to Happy Bay beach and fun swimming. Then on to Anse Marcel, Le Galion and Dawn beaches. Finally a quick trip over the hill to Guana Bay and back to port. While I would not necessarily recommend Arthurs, as the vehicle provided had only two doors and was a old gas guzzler. But all others were booked, so all things considered, everything worked out OK. Thanks again for those who provided advice.