Need advice for digital camera.

Hi Captain,
Im also interested in a digital camera and at present I'm looking at the new Canon A75. It has a great new hi-res 1.8" LED, much better than the A80.
And Canon has just announced their new S60 wide angle lens 28-100 zoom in a small format.
However, be advised there are many posts that talk about the Canon "E-18 error" that may not be covered by warranty.
You can find the Canon cameras at: [url="http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/home.html"]www.powershot.com/powershot2/home.html[/url]

Also, Nikon is coming out with their new Coolpix 4200 and 5200 models in June. You can find them at: [url="http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2"]www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2[/url]

It's a tough choice with so many different kinds. Good luck!

Dave

Infinity 06/06
Infinity 12/04
Veendam 11/05

Galaxie 6/97, Mercury 11/97, Rhapsody 2/00, Vision 5/00, Galaxie 6/00, Millennium 9/00, Dawn Princess 9/00, Rhapsody 1/01, Viking Serenade 2/01, Radiance 4/01, Carnival Spirit 5/01, Ocean Princess 9/01, Norwegian Sun 10/01, Golden Princess 11/01, Zaamdam 5/02, Summit 5/03, Infinity 01/04.

We just bought a new digital camera. Purchased a FujiFilm S5000. I like the look and feel having grown up with SLR's, own two, Pentax and Nikon. The Fuji has an actual viewfinder, which I like over using the screen. Here is the blurp from the site I purchased at:

The FinePix S5000 offers point-and-shoot simplicity combined with advanced exposure control. It offers a super long 10X optical zoom [37-370mm, f2.8-f8(W)/f3.2-f9(T)], and uses Fujifilm's new 4th Generation Super CCD HR with 3.1 million effective pixels and 6.0 million recorded pixels. The S5000 features continuous auto focusing and a low light focus assist lamp. You can record digital movies with sound at QVGA resolution (30fps). An 110,000 pixel electronic viewfinder provides you with a through-the-lens preview of the scene.

I like the fact that I can set to full auto mode, and use it as a point and click, or I can put into manual mode and set the f-stop, film speed, film type, etc. just like one of my SLR's. I bought a few extra, 3 128 MB xD cards, AC adapter, and a PC Card Adapter (plug the xD card into this and slide into a slot on any laptop, which sees it as a removable drive.)

After agonizing for weeks, I finally purchased a Nikon Coolpix 3700 (haven't received it yet, it's in the mail).

Capt Einstein, if you are looking at the Canon S400, take a look at the 3700. There is a $100 rebate now and my cost after the rebate was under $200. The cost and the fact that it has the stitch assist feature, was really sold me on this model.

Rita

[img]http://www.melodywood.crosswinds.net/names/r/Rita_FuschiaQuill.gif[/img]

Til the Infinity Canada
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Til the Infinity

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

05/02 Volendam Alaska
10/02 Ryndam b/b Panama Canal
02/03 Noordam So Caribbean
04/03 Connie b/b TA Baltics
03/04 Zenith Western Caribbean
05/04 Infinity Canada
12/04 Infinity Hawaii

Rita, where did you buy yours?

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Tuggers,

I called a very reputable Ebay seller (over 50,000 feedback rating) and purchased one of their bundle packages. There are other sellers online that quote prices about $188. plus shipping (after rebate).

The bundle contained the camera, a 256 SD card, extra battery, SD card reader, camera case, cleaning cloth and tripod. My cost after rebate is $319. plus shipping.

I had checked our local retail stores and the best price I could get for just the camera was $289 after rebate. In checking the retail for the memory card (Costco was $64) and the battery (about $20) I opted to go with the bundle and got a few extra goodies.

Don't know if I can post the name of the seller, but if you check on Ebay it will be easy for you to find. I feel with such a good feedback rating I wasn't taking a major chance on dealing with them. Indead of placing a bid I called their 800 number and they were very nice to deal with and very helpful. I'm leaving for the Infinity on Thursday and they expidited the shipping for me at a very nominal rate, so I'll have it tomorrow (I ordered it yesterday). Hope it gets here!!!

Rita

Til the Infinity Canada
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Til the Infinity

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

05/02 Volendam Alaska
05/04 Infinity Canada
12/04 Infinity Hawaii

[This message was edited by boydsdaughter on 05-25-04 at 04:37 PM.]

Captain,

I checked Ebay again and found one seller from Canada, one from Austrailia and one from England. None of them listed the rebate offer, so that leads me to believe it's good in the USA only. There was a 3700 offered for $279.00 (no rebate) which is still a pretty good deal.

I'm sorry you can't take advantage of the rebate.

I wish you good luck in your search. I know how frustrating it can be.

Rita

Til the Infinity Canada

Til the Infinity

05/02 Volendam Alaska
05/04 Infinity Canada
12/04 Infinity Hawaii

More stuff. I have an Olympus C 700. With the long optics that come with the camera, it's small and very friendly to any user. An excellent place to erview ANY camera is imaging-resources. They review all the digital cameras on the same format with no remarkable apparent bias. Our last cruise I took about 700 pics. It's easy to throw out the bad ones, but ya really can't(thought you would like to) go back and take more.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;02;13;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Xpedition & Galapagos...more than ready

Celebrity Xpedition

Am I better off with the olympus 740 10x optical and 3mp or a Canon/Sony 5MP with 3x optical?

for taking pictures and zooming them in? guy at the store said, while I can bring the object closer with the 10x it may be grainy because of 3mp. if i zoom in on the 3x but then bring it in more digitally it will be clearer because of the 5mp.

the 3x/5mp are much smaller/lighter which I like. The olympus is heavier but I like th eidea of the 10x. can't afford a 10x with 5mp!!!

also will the olympus xd cards work in the kodak picture makers? hearing conflicting reports.

looking to replace my old kodak for our trip to alaska.

sheree

Sheree

I am so overloaded on digital camera knowledge and don't think I understand half of it! LOL! Just going to take the G1 to the camera shop for a tune up. My neighbor wants to look at it. He thinks he may want to buy it. I think I'm going to take my little 2mp on the June 5 Century and just see how I do with it. I priced the xp cards at Sam's the other day and they sure are a lot more than the compact flash cards! I can get a cf 256 for under $50. xp is $90. Something to consider.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shereemcg:
[B]guy at the store said, while I can bring the object closer with the 10x it may be grainy because of 3mp. if i zoom in on the 3x but then bring it in more digitally it will be clearer because of the 5mp.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What he has said is exactly the [I]opposite[/I] of what is true. You will definitely get better results zooming in optically with the 10x zoom on a 3MP camera than zooming in digitally on a 5MP image.

If you plan on doing a lot of stuff at long zooms, get the camera with the long lens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[B]also will the olympus xd cards work in the kodak picture makers? hearing conflicting reports.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That I don't know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tuggers:
[B]I priced the xp cards at Sam's the other day and they sure are a lot more than the compact flash cards![/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. The biggest disadvantage of Olympus and Fujifilm products IMHO is the xD card (though I really don't like Fuji digital cameras for other reasons that are way too complicated to discuss here).

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

thanks Doug, that's what I thought as well. Kodak's site says it does the xd, will have to check out cvs. Circuit City has an xd 128 for $49 after rebate.
the only negative to the olympus is the size/weight. my husband really prefers something smaller, lighter, but I think I'm going to get the olympus anyway!!

i think the guy at the store just wanted to sell sony.

Sheree

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Tuggers,
You may want to look at the Canon S410 review, specs, sample photos, etc. here. Amazon sells this one for $355 with no tax and free ground shipping <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shereemcg:
thanks Doug, that's what I thought as well. Kodak's site says it does the xd, will have to check out cvs. Circuit City has an xd 128 for $49 after rebate.
the only negative to the olympus is the size/weight. my husband really prefers something smaller, lighter, but I think I'm going to get the olympus anyway!!

i think the guy at the store just wanted to sell sony.

Sheree<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found Sony to be the most overpriced for features and quality offered. But like you , I find the store employees are really in love with Sony cameras.

I find that larger cameras are more easily held stationary than are small cameras. With 10X soom, stability is a major issue!

Doug, Don't Fuji cameras have plastic lenses rather than glass or is that just Kodak?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nealberk:
[B]I have found Sony to be the most overpriced for features and quality offered.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Worst thing about Sony cameras... Memory Stick. This is typical Sony, using a proprietary technology so that they get paid for every single Memory Stick sold, anywhere, even non-Sony branded ones.

Otherwise I have nothing against their products. Like all camera makers they have had some very good cameras and a few duds but generally they are a good company. So are Canon, Nikon, Konica Minolta, Pentax, and all the rest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[B]I find the store employees are really in love with Sony cameras.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It may be that there are special incentives for those particular salespeople to sell Sony cameras... Sometimes one brand will give a certain store a higher comission in return for selling a certain number of their products, and the salespeople will try to push you in that direction.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[B]Don't Fuji cameras have plastic lenses rather than glass or is that just Kodak?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never heard that one before... I can't say whether or not its true but if it is, I'd certainly be surprised.

Fuji is generally known as a maker of film but in fact they do lenses also - and very, very expensive ones in some cases... In fact they designed the lenses used for the latest Hasselblad, the H1 (they won out over Hasselblad's traditional supplier, Zeiss).

Doug Newman

Just got back from the camera store. They reset my camera (Canon Powershot G1) to auto mode. Apparently I had it set in landscape and had the resolution set to where I was getting 770 pictures on a 256 card. He said his settings should improve the performance a whole lot. We'll see. I told y'all I was just a point and shoot kinda gal! He, too, begged me not to sell the camera or replace it with an A80.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tuggers:
[B]He said his settings should improve the performance a whole lot.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
They certainly should. Now I understand why you weren't getting good results from your G1 [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

Doug Newman

just bought my olympus 740! now to wait for it to arrive. got a 256xd card on ebay as well. hoping that's sufficient for alaska since I'll be bringing the laptop and can burn them to a cd or upload them to ofoto.
thanks for all the advice!

Sheree

Just got back from the camera store. They reset my camera (Canon Powershot G1) to auto mode. Apparently I had it set in landscape and had the resolution set to where I was getting 770 pictures on a 256 card. He said his settings should improve the performance a whole lot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And now you know the best reason for going with a camera store that offers great support.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Einstein:
...what is the Canon "E-18 error"?Captain Einstein<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The E-18 occurs when the lens can not retract into the body due to low/no power or some dirt in the mechanism. Restoring power is known NOT to solve the problem. In many cases E-18 turns the camera into a paper-weight. Fixing the problem reported to be both very expensive and non effective. Rumors are that Canon refuses to recognize the problem and does not deal with it even under warranty. It was occurring in A70 & A75. Is it fixed in A80? Anybody's guess.
There are published instructions on how to rectify the problem, involves taking most of the camera apart to get to the mechanism and then re-assemble it.

NBP [7<sup>2</sup>=49]
[I]Boten, you're always good for a laugh[/I] - newtocc
[I]Boten, I want to speak with Mrs. Boten. NOW[/I] - brigittetom

Archived