Carnival gift card

HDC80

Hello. I am thinking about purchasing gift cards for a Christmas gift. I started reading and saw where someone posted you can only use them towards onboard credit. You cannot use them to pay off your cruise. Could someone please elaborate on this? Thank you.

Edited by HDC80
Spelling

I bought egift cards for my nephew as a wedding gift. He and his bride booked their cruise soon after. Unfortunately they had to cancel the cruise but did so well before the final payment date months prior to the sailing date and was assured the money would go right back on the card.

So just now I decided to check their egift card balances myself and sadly discovered that the money was not returned to the egift card. The money was also not returned to the credit card I paid with. Carnival tells me in not so many words too bad so sad I am out $1500 bucks. I will call tomorrow when I can speak to someone more knowledgable but for the record I would not buy a gift card again.

Be careful buying them -- I bought what I thought were going to be gift cards from our church "e-scrip" program and what I ended up with were "cruise dollars." I could use them to pay for my cruise and nothing else, and I had to send them to them via certified mail - couldn't enter them on the website to pay for anything and they were ONLY valid for paying for the cruise itself.

It worked out, but make sure you know what you are getting.

Gwynn

I purchased gift cards for my Grandsons last Christmas. They were to use them on a cruise we took in June. One of my Grandson's brought his (I had repeatedly reminded both of them and their parents) the other forgot his but his parent called Carnival they told the parents to provide the number to me and then I was to take it to guest services. Worked like a charm. Cruise dollars not so much but gift cards were great.

After speaking with five different people ,four from Carnival and one from the gift card company I was finally able to get my nephew's money transferred to a new gift card. It took four hours and weeding through alot of bs ie they told me the had refunded his money to the credit card that was used to purchase the cards(not true-it was my credit card), they told me they had sent new gift cards to his address(not possible as they wont send them to Canada), also they told me the cruise was cancelled after final payment day(luckily it was cancelled four days prior to that),Then I was told that the money just cannot be returned at all.

I was thinking of giving a few for gifts at Christmas for our January cruise. Has anyone purchased the egift cards and had them sent to their personal email instead of the recipients email? I just want to make sure that I can print up the ecard, wrap it and not have any issues with them applying it to their S&S account on board in January.

I have time to do the plastic gift cards but its .95 to ship them without tracking info and $7.50 to ship them with tracking info. Since they are nonrefundable, I don't want to take a chance of them getting lost in the mail but think $7.50 is alot to ship them. ECard just seems easier.