unassigned dining and cabins

iloveglee

I have just booked a costa cruise in the med at the end of february next year. we booked the cheapest cabin possible, unassigned, plus unassigned dining. the booking was for 2 cabins. now i find that these two bookings are totally separate, cannot be cross linked and when we check in onboard may find that not only are the cabins nowhere near each other (not too much of a problem), but that we may be on different dining times and/or different restaurants. how ridiculous is this. it is not possible to make one booking for two cabins, they have to be booked separately. how can a group of people, travelling together get the benefit of a cheap cruise when they may be split up for dining in the restaurant. i realise that we could eat in the self service but part of a cruise for us is the proper dining room, waiter service etc. has anyone else experienced this problem, and what did they do.

short answer: you get what you pay for.

on costa, unless you book a 'premium' grade cabin, or a suite, you do not get to pick your dining time. fear not, though. i see you are from the UK - costa is very good about matching dining times to national origin, so you will in all likelyhood be assigned first seating (2nd is very late i.e. 8:45 - 9:15). costa is also pretty good at accomodating requests. speak with the dining room manager your first night (sometimes you can do this immediatly when you board, but not always).

i don't understand why you cannot link your reservsations, though. did you use a travel agent or other non-costa website? whomever you booked it through should get these linked for you.

as far as cabin location, pretty much nothing you can do about this since you booked what is called a 'guarantee'. you may not even find out your cabin number until you get to the ship.

I did know that the cabin would not be assigned until boarding, also the dining preference. You are right in that Costa do try to match dining times to the nationality, i.e. british and americans prefer earlier, europeans preferring later. of course what we don't know is the nationality configuration of this particular cruise. i shouldn't imagine there will be many families as it is not a school holiday nor is the weather likely to be so nice for kids. i more or less expected that our allocation would be for earlier but obviously can't be sure of this. my gripe is that four people travelling together cannot book their cabins on one booking therefore at least being allocated dining at the same time and in the same restaurant. i am not so bothered about the cabin allocation, after all we only sleep in it, but dining is a major part of a cruise and it seems crazy to me that the bookings cannot be linked or cross referenced. we have been on other cruise lines and have been able to do so. we booked through an online agent and it is this agency that has told me the bookings cannot be linked. i have not yet been in touch with costa but i may give them a call to see what they say about the situation. otherwise i guess we will just have to wait until we get on board, see what we have got and take it from there.

I did know that the cabin would not be assigned until boarding, also the dining preference. You are right in that Costa do try to match dining times to the nationality, i.e. british and americans prefer earlier, europeans preferring later. of course what we don't know is the nationality configuration of this particular cruise. i shouldn't imagine there will be many families as it is not a school holiday nor is the weather likely to be so nice for kids. i more or less expected that our allocation would be for earlier but obviously can't be sure of this. my gripe is that four people travelling together cannot book their cabins on one booking therefore at least being allocated dining at the same time and in the same restaurant. i am not so bothered about the cabin allocation, after all we only sleep in it, but dining is a major part of a cruise and it seems crazy to me that the bookings cannot be linked or cross referenced. we have been on other cruise lines and have been able to do so. we booked through an online agent and it is this agency that has told me the bookings cannot be linked. i have not yet been in touch with costa but i may give them a call to see what they say about the situation. otherwise i guess we will just have to wait until we get on board, see what we have got and take it from there.

sounds like you have a lazy agent...

I presume you are saying that the bookings can be linked and the agent just doesn't want to bother?? I have just logged into our bookings to find that we have been upgraded to an inside premium and the cabins are allocated. Thing is, one is right at the back the other mid to forward, albeit both on the same deck. As i understand it, and please correct me if i am wrong, Costa allocated the restaurant depending upon the location of the cabin. Which would mean one of us in the aft restaurant, the other in the mid ship one. Not at all satisfactory. Now that we are upgraded to a premium cabin maybe this means we can now choose our dining option?? Methinks a call to Costa is required here.

I presume you are saying that the bookings can be linked and the agent just doesn't want to bother?? I have just logged into our bookings to find that we have been upgraded to an inside premium and the cabins are allocated. Thing is, one is right at the back the other mid to forward, albeit both on the same deck. As i understand it, and please correct me if i am wrong, Costa allocated the restaurant depending upon the location of the cabin. Which would mean one of us in the aft restaurant, the other in the mid ship one. Not at all satisfactory. Now that we are upgraded to a premium cabin maybe this means we can now choose our dining option?? Methinks a call to Costa is required here.

you don't say which ship you are on. some have only one dining room. it can't hurt to give costa a call.

yes, i think your agent just doesn't want to bother. costa may or may not talk to you since you did not book with them. worth a try, though. the worst that can happen is they tell you 'no'.

i still say you won't have any trouble once you get on the ship.

Not sure why you couldn't pick your cabin, we always have:)

Well i e-mailed to costa and quickly had a very nice response, although not the answer i wanted. evidently we have been allocated an upgrade to premium cabin, but because we booked on a classic (don't ask), this was just a guaranteed cabin and no choice of dining. even though we have been upgraded we still can't choose dining, we would have to pay for the upgrade that they have given us for free!! on the agency website we didn't have the option for a premium. we have come across this guaranteed cabin before, having it allocated as we boarded, but in that case there were 4 of us in one cabin so dining difference wasn't a problem. there are two restaurants on the serena (the ship we are on), one aft and one mid ships. our cabins, wouldn't you know are one aft and one mid-ships. if what i have heard is correct due to the location of the cabins we would be allocated to different dining rooms. it seems that the only way to choose our cabin, and choose our dining would be to upgrade, but i can't find a way to see how to do that online. it seems really that our choices are to pay for an upgrade and choose our cabin locations, or risk it and hope we can change restaurants/dining time if we have to when on board. still thinking about it.

They upgraded your cabin but because you didn't book Premium to begin with you don't have priority dining or any other Premium benefits.

I would do what AC69 suggested and talk to the maitre 'd as soon as you can. I also think they will accommodate you.

Well i e-mailed to costa and quickly had a very nice response, although not the answer i wanted. evidently we have been allocated an upgrade to premium cabin, but because we booked on a classic (don't ask), this was just a guaranteed cabin and no choice of dining. even though we have been upgraded we still can't choose dining, we would have to pay for the upgrade that they have given us for free!! on the agency website we didn't have the option for a premium. we have come across this guaranteed cabin before, having it allocated as we boarded, but in that case there were 4 of us in one cabin so dining difference wasn't a problem. there are two restaurants on the serena (the ship we are on), one aft and one mid ships. our cabins, wouldn't you know are one aft and one mid-ships. if what i have heard is correct due to the location of the cabins we would be allocated to different dining rooms. it seems that the only way to choose our cabin, and choose our dining would be to upgrade, but i can't find a way to see how to do that online. it seems really that our choices are to pay for an upgrade and choose our cabin locations, or risk it and hope we can change restaurants/dining time if we have to when on board. still thinking about it.

i would risk it. i really can't see it being a problem. it does make sense, from a business standpoint, about not getting the benefits of an upgraded cabin beyond the cabin itself (doesn't help you, though).

The Serena in February -

Prices are:

Classic

All the Costa Cruises guarantees in a standard cabin.

from

£199.00

from

£249.00

from

£299.00

Premium

Privileged cabins in terms of position and special extras

from

£229.00

from

£279.00

from

£329.00

hmmm - bargain - pay the upgrade...

Edited by Blondie008

I have just had a phone conversation with costa and guess what. the agent was not being lazy after all. costa have no facility for linking bookings so that when the dining allocation is made they can be allocated together. in a classic cabin you take what you are given in regard to dining and that is that. she did say you can ask the maitre'd to change - as has already been said on here - but of course no guarantees. evidently there is no buffet dining either in the evening so could not go to that as a last resort. i am pretty sure from the locations of our cabins that we will be in different restaurants. i feel sure that changing dining time if we were not happy would not be too much of an issue given that we would prefer early dining, but changing restaurants?? i suppose that would depend upon how full the ship is. cost would not give me the difference in price when booked through an agent as they probably differ, the prices on their website are as shown by blondie 008, thanks for that. the problem might be for us is that, when we booked with the agent, we did not have an option for a premium inside cabin, although costa have looked in their system and tell me that there is plenty of availability. for an extra £30 ish each if we can do it, probably we should upgrade. i don't want to have the cruise ruined by problem with dining - after all this is one of the high points of the day!!

we booked with an online agent last week on the PACIFICA only classic guarantee available with this agent. no premium so cannot choose where cabin is. i don't mind really where we are provided were not right up front so to speak. we always travel on insides as we are the type of people who do not spent any time in the cabin apart from sleeping.

do costa only do fixed dining?

we booked with an online agent last week on the PACIFICA only classic guarantee available with this agent. no premium so cannot choose where cabin is. i don't mind really where we are provided were not right up front so to speak. we always travel on insides as we are the type of people who do not spent any time in the cabin apart from sleeping.

do costa only do fixed dining?

fixed dining only at dinner - with the exception of the 'neo' ships which one poster has reported is open seating. samasara and specialty restaurants are open - on the ships that have them.

Edited by AnonymousCruiser69

Yes apparently two fixed dining times 7.30 and 9.15 or something like that. i have been advised that if we upgrade to the premium at a cost of £27 per person more we can then choose our cabin, dining time, restaurant etc. and they CAN cross reference these two bookings to ensure people travelling together can sit at the same dining table. or so the agent told me. costa told me something different and that they don't have the facility to cross reference. then again, we were discussing the classic booking. a little misleading to say they are not able to cross reference, it's just that the classic bookings do not allow anything to be chosen. we find we have been upgraded to a premium cabin, i.e. in terms of location but not in terms of the 'extras' that go with it. given that we like our early morning tea and in classic this has to be paid for and premium it's free, i really think the upgrade would be worth it especially as the agent doesnt have a fee for the change. on a separate note, but related to dining (or drinking anyway), is the 19.50 euro drink package worth having. we are not big drinkers, usually have 3 or 4 cocktails at night. cannot seem to find a definitive description of exactly what drinks can be included in this package. the words alcoholic beverages, beer, wine are mentioned but very basic information.

Yes apparently two fixed dining times 7.30 and 9.15 or something like that. i have been advised that if we upgrade to the premium at a cost of £27 per person more we can then choose our cabin, dining time, restaurant etc. and they CAN cross reference these two bookings to ensure people travelling together can sit at the same dining table. or so the agent told me. costa told me something different and that they don't have the facility to cross reference. then again, we were discussing the classic booking. a little misleading to say they are not able to cross reference, it's just that the classic bookings do not allow anything to be chosen. we find we have been upgraded to a premium cabin, i.e. in terms of location but not in terms of the 'extras' that go with it. given that we like our early morning tea and in classic this has to be paid for and premium it's free, i really think the upgrade would be worth it especially as the agent doesnt have a fee for the change. on a separate note, but related to dining (or drinking anyway), is the 19.50 euro drink package worth having. we are not big drinkers, usually have 3 or 4 cocktails at night. cannot seem to find a definitive description of exactly what drinks can be included in this package. the words alcoholic beverages, beer, wine are mentioned but very basic information.

i think you answered your own question. upgrade - especially since the agent doesn't charge for a change.

drinks package is well worth it (i don't drink alcohol, but still feel like i got full value). costa used to have a PDF on their website with specifically what was included. they do not, now. well drinks (non-premium) think vodka/tonic NOT grey goose/tonic. wines (their choice of brand). beer will most likely be carlsburg. soft drinks, coffee/esspresso, virgin drinks. no need to book ahead. you can book it on the ship and see exactly what is included.

If you have a couple of fresh orange juices at breakfast (in spite of what another poster says), one or two cappuccinos and a cocktail or two then the card has paid for itself. It also includes wine at dinner.:)

upgrade £27 extra per person so absolutely had to be done. we have now been able to change the location of one of the cabins to midships and have the cabins next door to each other. we were able to choose both dining time and location and size of table. the agent has cross referenced the bookings so we can either choose to be on a table with just the 4 of us, or choose a larger table with the 4 of us and other people. in future if booking with costa i shall bypass the agent and book directly with the costa website. the price was the same and the option of premium cabin was there. we have some friends who sailed with costa earlier in the year, they really enjoyed the cruise although she did admit it was the first time and they had nothing to compare it with. she said most definitely to have the drinks plan. the cocktails (which we like to drink) are 7 euros each with the gratuity and there is never a night when we don't have at least 3. so even with that we are in front. there is a pdf file available which says what is included. more than enough choice for anyone i would have thought.

upgrade £27 extra per person so absolutely had to be done. we have now been able to change the location of one of the cabins to midships and have the cabins next door to each other. we were able to choose both dining time and location and size of table. the agent has cross referenced the bookings so we can either choose to be on a table with just the 4 of us, or choose a larger table with the 4 of us and other people. in future if booking with costa i shall bypass the agent and book directly with the costa website. the price was the same and the option of premium cabin was there. we have some friends who sailed with costa earlier in the year, they really enjoyed the cruise although she did admit it was the first time and they had nothing to compare it with. she said most definitely to have the drinks plan. the cocktails (which we like to drink) are 7 euros each with the gratuity and there is never a night when we don't have at least 3. so even with that we are in front. there is a pdf file available which says what is included. more than enough choice for anyone i would have thought.

which ship are you on?