how early should you board?

I was wondering what the benefit was to boarding early.......If the room isn't ready....worried about my luggage...and wondering would we miss anything if we waited a while to board until rooms were ready. I also wondered if there are usually problems with lost luggage...........getting from port people to ship to cabins.......The airlines lost my luggage, only once, but it has left me gun shy.......lol

Once on the dock, you give your luggage to the porters who put it directly into large bins to go on the ship. It won't go anywhere else! You can cross this worry off your list.

As to "Why get there early?": You can quite often just go and drop your carryon off at your cabin. If not, I think there was someplace to check it in securely. Then you can take your time to explore the ship, grab lunch at the Windjammer (or whatever it is called on your ship) and start RELAXING!!!!

We have done this the last 2 cruises and highly recommend it.

Enjoy your cruise!

I always try to time it so I'm on the ship as soon as possible. To me, that means I'm starting my cruise the earliest possible. It gives me time to explore the ship, have a leisurely lunch onboard, and still enjoy the sailaway.

We also like to board as early as possible, because it feels like our vacation starts sooner. We always carry a bathing suit and sandals in our carry-on luggage, so we can change, go to the pool, get a tropical drink, and say, "Life is good!".

I guess I won't worry about them losing my luggage...........(if only I was young again..........I wouldn't worry about such things....lol).......I guess you should carry on minimal.........swim suits and sandals.......change of clothes for dinner.......and don't worry about the rest.............just chill and relax..........it's paid for by then, right? (or for the most part any way)lol

What is the absolute earliest you will be allowed on the ship???

There is really no way of accurately predicting this. Much of it depends on how smoothly the disembarkation of the previous cruise goes. Sometimes, the disembarkation gets held up by customs, by cruisers not settling their onboard accounts, etc. If all goes well, I would estimate that embarkation would begin 3 or 4 hours after the ship docks. Depending on where you are on line, it could be another hour or so before you're on the ship.

We have usually boarded about 10:30 - 11:00, except for the last cruise when the ship didn't get in till 1:30!

Just an idea: I always wear my swimsuit under my clothes when boarding so I don't have to find somewhere to completely change. Have to cut down on the time to get in the cruise groove!

I like to board early too. The main reason is to check out where I'm for dining. I like to have an easy escape as I'm disabled and have to leave sometimes early into dinner. If they put me at the back of the room I will disrupt everyone, if I'm put at a table near the front (doors) then I will disrupt my table and maybe one or two others only. I always say sorry but can not be helped.

I also like eating my first lunch on board, after a nice dinner at the first port. I stay the night before all the time. I drop off my carry-on in the room to and then explore.

Luggage isn't a concern, but for a different reason than stated: if your luggage doesn't make the ship, you won't know it until well after you're under way. So, no need to worry at all because you're not going to see it until the next port any way! :D

The more cruises I take, the more I move towards boarding around 1 or 1:30. The reason is the 12 people who have posted above that they'll be waiting in line first thing. :p Seriously, I was very excited about the whole thing for the first few cruises. These days, I'm happy to board an hour or two later to save myself 30 or 45 minutes in line.

I also worry about my carry on, since it tends to contain a camera, MP3 player, sometimes a laptop, medication, jewelery, etc. I usually just keep it with me until I know the room is ready and (hope) the door won't be left open unattended for 15 minutes by the steward. Of course, that will happen on later days anyway. As always, the best defense is to use the safe, a cable lock on the laptop, and keep everything else out of plain site.

Mike

We too like to board as soon as those door open to us. We like to get onboard to explore, have a cocktail or two and get the lay of the ship. We generally take our own little tour (kind of fun seeing the disco in the daylight) and checking out the dining venues. We find the spa and the gym and then go for our first lunch onboard. We usually have one or two or more cocktails, our tour and our lunch before settling in at the railing to watch all the "late-comers" arriving. It's a great feeling to know that you are all settled in for the week, while watching people unloading busses/taxis and lugging their suitcases to the porters, happy that you are already done with the whole check-in process. Off to the muster drill and then back up to the top deck for sailaway.

As far as clothes for dinner...it is expected that many people don't have their luggage yet when dinner begins (especially early sitting) and many people just wear their shorts and travel clothes to dinner on the first night. We try to shower and change, but many people don't have the luxury and just wear what they have on. Don't bring extra clothes for dinner along in your carry-on. Odds are your suitcases will be at your cabin in time for dinner, but if they are not, don't fret.

Don't bring extra clothes for dinner along in your carry-on. Odds are your suitcases will be at your cabin in time for dinner, but if they are not, don't fret.

I agreed with your entire post until this statement. Whenever I travel, not just for a cruise, if I have checked a main bag with my clothes in it, I ALWAYS put a change of clothes in my carry-on. You absolutely never know when and if your bag will be misplaced, especially by the airlines. You may reach your embarkation port and find out that your checked bag is nowhere to be found. This happened to me when I flew to Auckland, New Zealand to board a Princess cruise. The clothes that I packed in my carry-on saved me until Princess was able to locate my checked bag the next day at the airport and have it shipped to catch up to us at our first port stop.

There is really no way of accurately predicting this. Much of it depends on how smoothly the disembarkation of the previous cruise goes. Sometimes, the disembarkation gets held up by customs, by cruisers not settling their onboard accounts, etc. If all goes well, I would estimate that embarkation would begin 3 or 4 hours after the ship docks. Depending on where you are on line, it could be another hour or so before you're on the ship.

Thank you.

I have been on two NCL cruises. The first we arrived with just enough time to locate our room, then run outside with lifejackets for the drill. We didn't even have time to figure out there was a big party going on up on deck as we departed Miami. We boarded almost 2 hours prior to sail time but there was a very long wait getting past all of their greeters.

The second, I had started taking a new medication that we hadn't figured out didn't agree with me (imagine your worst drinking experience when you really don't know what is going on around you and you just can not function). We flew in the morning of arriving at 8:50 A.M. for our 4P.M. sailing. We almost missed our flight down b/c I just could not get it together. (I have no memory of the entire first day, this was recounted to me by family members) Once we made it to our cabin, I just sat on the bed for the next however long doing nothing.

I'm cruising again this September. I'm no longer taking that ridiculous medication and we plan to arrive at the pier at least 6 hours prior to sailing time. I'm planning to make the departure party this time.:p

Try to board as early as possible. You don't have to worry about your luggage because the porters will take care of that.. Your luggage will magically appear at your door step later in the afternoon. Just get on board and get ready to have FUN!!!!

johnql ..that' s OK you can disagree. I look at it this way. I always carry my credit card and if my luggage doesn't arrive somewhere, that just gives me a great reason to purchase something new! I guess I look at it as another reason to by cruise clothes! For instance, I NEVER pack a sweatshirt for a vacation and on the first chilly evening....I go and purchase a sweatshirt from wherever we are. I have accumulated some great sweatshirts and sweaters from all over the world. I probably wouldn't have all those great souviners if I took one along.

johnql ..that' s OK you can disagree. I look at it this way. I always carry my credit card and if my luggage doesn't arrive somewhere, that just gives me a great reason to purchase something new! I guess I look at it as another reason to by cruise clothes! For instance, I NEVER pack a sweatshirt for a vacation and on the first chilly evening....I go and purchase a sweatshirt from wherever we are. I have accumulated some great sweatshirts and sweaters from all over the world. I probably wouldn't have all those great souviners if I took one along.

I certainly can't argue with that approach. More power to you!

Now that this is my second cruise, :) I for one will be on the ship as soon as possible!! I can't wait! I want to get every second of this trip! On my first cruise, I didn't even know that there was a party going on when we sailed away!

From what I've read, there is a party on the lido deck as you are sailing away. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :confused: We boarded, found our cabins, met our steward, ate at the buffet and stayed there for a while and then went and settled in at our cabins. This time, I kind of know what I'm doing! At least I hope I do! :D

Archived