Skype and FaceTime

hammer000

Anyone have any experience using these, specifically on the Oasis? We will be bringing our ipad and would love to speak with our kids while out at sea. Obviously we would like the video feature to work. Has anyone used either of these on the oasis and had it work well, or is it a waste of time to even buy an internet package. Thanks!

Anyone have any experience using these, specifically on the Oasis? We will be bringing our ipad and would love to speak with our kids while out at sea. Obviously we would like the video feature to work. Has anyone used either of these on the oasis and had it work well, or is it a waste of time to even buy an internet package. Thanks!

Last I heard, those apps either did not work at all, or worked very poorly. However, Oasis packages are still sold by the minute, so you can test your apps without much financial outlay.

We never used FaceTime on the ship since we did not purchase wifi, but we did FT family at every port on our Southern Caribbean cruise this summer. There was free wifi everywhere and we just found it and got in touch with family that way.

If the internet on the Oasis is the same as the Allure, then you can Skype (even with video) perfectly. It may not be 30 fps, but it is quite usable. And if you use voice only, then it works quite well.

We used skype quite extensively as we had some medical issues back home we had to deal with. It saved us a boatload (pun intended) of money in calls.

As to facetime, sometimes it worked, and others I could not connect out, but someone off the ship could connect to me (weird). In that case I would facetime them, and then they would facetime back.