Photos & Video help!

The info I was given by Carnival (or TWE) showed the smallest photo package that included digital files, along with several prints, costs $750. I honestly would be happy with no prints and just the digital files so I can get them printed myself, but that doesn't seem to be an option. I don't anticipate getting anything beyond that, but we are budgeting $1000, just in case.

I'm not doing any video, so I have no clue on pricing for that.

We budgetted $800 and ended up with the booak and all of our photos on disk for $1500. I wish we had skipped the video and saved up for the photos!

Yeah, I figured that I'd enjoy the photos more than video, so we decided to skip the video altogether and put that money towards other things. Everyone I know that has a wedding video, has it sitting on a shelf and they never look at it. MY FSIL has one from 10 years ago... the first time they ever pulled it out was when I started my wedding planning to show me what they did for their wedding. I figure that if you want some video record of your wedding & vows, everyone has video camera on their phone now. Get one of your friends to record it for you for free and put the money toward photos that you can put on wall and look at every day. Even though we aren't getting professional videographer, we may get someone to record it on their camera or phone, just in case there is something there worth looking back on. Or maybe to share with people that aren't able to attend the destination wedding.

Yeah, I figured that I'd enjoy the photos more than video, so we decided to skip the video altogether and put that money towards other things. Everyone I know that has a wedding video, has it sitting on a shelf and they never look at it. MY FSIL has one from 10 years ago... the first time they ever pulled it out was when I started my wedding planning to show me what they did for their wedding. I figure that if you want some video record of your wedding & vows, everyone has video camera on their phone now. Get one of your friends to record it for you for free and put the money toward photos that you can put on wall and look at every day. Even though we aren't getting professional videographer, we may get someone to record it on their camera or phone, just in case there is something there worth looking back on. Or maybe to share with people that aren't able to attend the destination wedding.

We do actually still watch the video- it's fun to see friends and family from then- but we cringe every time at the quality.

We were not interested in video, but photos were important for us. We decided not to pre-purchase a package, but to pay for the photographer's time and choose our photos afterward. (This was on NCL -- not sure how much different it is on Carnival!) When our photographer showed us the pictures she'd taken we were given a price list, and she also offered us the option of just getting a DVD with all of the digital files on it which was not on the price list but cost $750. We went for that option. We split the cost with our parents and made copies of the DVD for them. It was so much easier than having to choose which pictures to get and we probably would have ended up spending that much anyway!

Edit: She'd printed off a complete set of 4x6 photos for us to use to sort through and decide what we wanted after we'd watched the digital photo slide show she'd prepared for us. My Mom asked if she'd throw those in (since they'd be thrown away otherwise) if we purchased the DVD and she agreed to that very quickly.

Edited by gymbomb

I think I was very lucky. Got married on Carnival Inspiration this summer. The video was roughly $700 and included the shooting and the final product. I could not have been more pleased. At the ceremony, there were 3 cameras! One of them HD-unbelieavable quality!. He did pre and post wedding interviews. He followed us around the next day for "honeymoon" shots. He videoed us meeting the captain and he also stopped by at our dinner table and interviewed some of our guests. Precious! At no extra cost, he gave us additional copies. He did a great job with the editing as well. Only thing we didn't like was the cheesy 80s transitions between scenes (I'm sure he had to use it) and some of the background music. I guess it is hit and miss based on who you get and what equipment they have.

For pictures, we got a list of what the packages include and how much. We spend 1500 which included prints and digital copies of 90 photos. Very expensive but nothing compared to what a regular wedding photographer and pictures come out to.

• 2 weeks later...