Info please-Group taxis from BA port

Nanner

I have a group of 7 taking a guided walking tour in Buenos Aires on the morning before our ship leaves port. We board the day before, so we will be leaving as a group from our ship. Any locals or those with recent experience taking a cab from the port into the city, please help. I don't want to deal with taking a shopping shuttle into town, just getting into cabs and going to the start of our tour.

I've read plenty about the wonderful fees for taxis from the port. If we are deep inside the port, am I correct in assuming that we can't readily call ahead for 2 radio taxis to pick us up? IF we are docked near the street, this does seem a viable option.

I am hoping that since we will need 2 vehicles for transport, I can negotiate a decent fee. I've been warned by the tour company that it will likely cost us about $15 per cab to get from the port to the Santo Domingo church (Av. Belgrano at Defensa). Since I can speak passable Spanish, and we need 2 cars, I think I should be able to get something near what the tour guide believes is reasonable by port standards, though she noted it "depends on the day".

I gather the port cab drivers really want to be paid in USD, not Argentine pesos? Any info greatly appreciated!

If we are deep inside the port, am I correct in assuming that we can't readily call ahead for 2 radio taxis to pick us up? IF we are docked near the street, this does seem a viable option.

You are not correct. You can call ahead. Try Premium or Pidalo or Paris Radio taxis which should be easy (if your Spanish is okay) inasmuch as you can set a specific time as you will be docked. The fare would be on the meter plus a small fee for the call-ahead feature. From port to Defensa & Belgrano is about 70 pesos or $8 at current "blue" rates. And all days are the same rate though the night fare is higher.

If that doesn't seem doable email this chap - Rafael at lazaroor10@yahoo.com.ar - and he will accommodate your needs fairly and honestly. His English is limited but his integrity compensates. He should be able to arrange 2 cabs for you but it will be for more than the meter fare - 120 pesos each I would guess. Cab drivers generally prefer AR pesos. They don't lust after US dollars UNLESS, of course, they can get them from naive passengers at the official rate of exchange which is currently about 2/3 of the blue rate commonly obtained.

Edited by pmacher61