Sunshine Refurb Question?

NOLA MOM

My father-in-law thinks that the Sunshine cabins were all re-done, i.e. made larger or smaller and re-decorated. I think they were just re-decorated and new cabins were added in places they didn't exist before. He thinks the cabins are smaller, but he's comparing them to the Conquest cabins from the cruise we took last year.

Does anyone know?

I'm just repeating what someone wrote before, but supposedly the new furniture adds more shelf space but takes more floor space, making the cabin feel narrower although more efficient. However, actual cabin dimensions didn't change.

My father-in-law thinks that the Sunshine cabins were all re-done, i.e. made larger or smaller and re-decorated. I think they were just re-decorated and new cabins were added in places they didn't exist before. He thinks the cabins are smaller, but he's comparing them to the Conquest cabins from the cruise we took last year.

Does anyone know?

The were definately re-decorated..... new carpet, etc. I am not sure about new cabinates and bath fixures. For the most part, I don't believe walls

were moved (maybe in a few cases to change room types).

We just got off the TA crossing. Cabins were remodeled but not changed sizewise.

I also just got off the TA and my cabin was redone but didn't have the shelf space. I thought the cabin was nice but didn't have a lot of pictures on the wall

The new and the old cabins have somewhat different cabinets.

If referring to the bathrooms, the showers on Sunshine are larger than on Conquest leaving less space for the rest.

Loved the new showers which are about 1/3 larger and lots more roomy

I know, I'm probably not contributing a whole lot to the conversation but I'd like to inject a little dose of reality as it pertains to transportation accommodations and expectations ....

You should pay $200/night - MINIMUM - to sleep in a 'first class' compartment on Amtrak - and I mean COMPARTMENT.

Shared bathrooms with 13 other 2 person compartments/roomettes , no closets, absolutely no floor space, fridge, etc. and, on top of that, it comes with the attitude and arrogance of Amtrak employees who think they are doing you a favor.

Disclaimer: I take Amtrak all of the the time for that price or more because I love taking the train but try it once and you'll never, ever complain again about the size of a stateroom, steward, food, service, entertainment, or price .... trust me.

But, it's so much fun, imo, that you might do it again just like I do.

In fact, I won't cruise from a port unless I can take an Amtrak trip there.

Here's a typical 2 person roomette on a Superliner car (the cheapest sleeping accommodation) in daytime mode then night time - one of you will definitely have to sleep on the top bunk.

They all have windows so I suppose they would be considered land view accommodations. :p

It's all relative and I can assure you that, no matter the size of your stateroom, cruising is the best vacation value for your $.

Btw, these pics are showing all of it -absolutely no floor space at all.

roometteday_zpsa3c4d07c.jpg

roomettenight_zpsc087e1d2.jpg

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a sailing on the Sunshine. The only refurbishment our cabin received was new carpet and new bedding/linens. The bathrooms are the same as on the Destiny. The showers were always larger on the Destiny as they are still on the Sunshine. They are larger than the newer ships that are coming out. The cabins that truly got a complete remodel are the ones with new cabinets, the card activated lights, and refrigerators. All of the cabins on Deck 9 were completely remodeled, but that is where the big wigs have the huge captain suites. Also, deck 5 cabins are the new cabins. They are smaller than the other cabins onboard, but they do have all of the new stuff. I am not sure which other cabins got a complete remodel. The only way to tell is if your cabin has the electronic card light switch, then you got a remodel. Otherwise, you just got new carpet and new tile grout. My closets were missing shelves and had only one clothes rack. The other two were basically stripped down pantries without shelves. Carnival worked on this while I was onboard to get another closet rod and install some shelves. The new carpet was stained near the walls where there had been flooding. I didn't smell anything foul around the ship. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The shows in the theatre are amazing!

We just returned from a sailing on the Sunshine. The only refurbishment our cabin received was new carpet and new bedding/linens. The bathrooms are the same as on the Destiny. The showers were always larger on the Destiny as they are still on the Sunshine. They are larger than the newer ships that are coming out. The cabins that truly got a complete remodel are the ones with new cabinets, the card activated lights, and refrigerators. All of the cabins on Deck 9 were completely remodeled, but that is where the big wigs have the huge captain suites. Also, deck 5 cabins are the new cabins. They are smaller than the other cabins onboard, but they do have all of the new stuff. I am not sure which other cabins got a complete remodel. The only way to tell is if your cabin has the electronic card light switch, then you got a remodel. Otherwise, you just got new carpet and new tile grout. My closets were missing shelves and had only one clothes rack. The other two were basically stripped down pantries without shelves. Carnival worked on this while I was onboard to get another closet rod and install some shelves. The new carpet was stained near the walls where there had been flooding. I didn't smell anything foul around the ship. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The shows in the theatre are amazing!

I don't think that is correct. I just got off the Sunshine a few days ago. We had an ocean view cabin on deck 2. Our cabin did not have card activated lights. But it was obviously completely refurbished. The sink was new, shower was new, fixtures were new, toilet was new, new floor In the bathroom, new carpet..... Everything looked new.

I don't think that is correct. I just got off the Sunshine a few days ago. We had an ocean view cabin on deck 2. Our cabin did not have card activated lights. But it was obviously completely refurbished. The sink was new, shower was new, fixtures were new, toilet was new, new floor In the bathroom, new carpet..... Everything looked new.

We were on Deck 1 and still had the orange color scheme throughout our cabin. I asked the maintenance worker who was in our cabin upgrading the closets, and he explained about the cabins that received the total and complete renovations and upgrades. They also received refrigerators. I checked with a friend of mine who was on Deck 9 in an interior cabin and she had a fridge and a very nice wall unit in her cabin. Her color scheme in her cabin was blue and she had the magnifying mirror in the bathroom. I wanted to switch cabins with her.

Some cabins received partial remodels, some received limited remodels, and some received total remodels. That is all I was pointing out. The ship is beautiful and I already have another cruise booked on her before she leaves NOLA. I loved the crew and the new amenities were wonderful.

We were on Deck 1 and still had the orange color scheme throughout our cabin. I asked the maintenance worker who was in our cabin upgrading the closets, and he explained about the cabins that received the total and complete renovations and upgrades. They also received refrigerators. I checked with a friend of mine who was on Deck 9 in an interior cabin and she had a fridge and a very nice wall unit in her cabin. Her color scheme in her cabin was blue and she had the magnifying mirror in the bathroom. I wanted to switch cabins with her.

Some cabins received partial remodels, some received limited remodels, and some received total remodels. That is all I was pointing out. The ship is beautiful and I already have another cruise booked on her before she leaves NOLA. I loved the crew and the new amenities were wonderful.

How can I find out what level of refurbishment my OV cabin had? I'm on Deck 1 in May. 1488.

Edited by Kelsey D

The new and the old cabins have somewhat different cabinets.

If referring to the bathrooms, the showers on Sunshine are larger than on Conquest leaving less space for the rest.

I second this. I had a 1A upper/lower last week on Sunshine and when sitting on the throne, one foot is in the shower. LOL! And there was also a king sized bed in this 1A cabin. Never seen that before either. 1606 on deck 1. No card slot for the lights and no refrigerator.

Edited by winddawn

I second this. I had a 1A upper/lower last week on Sunshine and when sitting on the throne, one foot is in the shower. LOL! And there was also a king sized bed in this 1A cabin. Never seen that before either. 1606 on deck 1. No card slot for the lights and no refrigerator.

We had 2170 on the transatlantic and it appeared to have at least gotten a facelift. The decor done in the new colors, gone was the orange. I agree with the bathroom set up and having a foot in the shower. This cabin seemed to be a little roomier than others we visited. We loved it.