Tax increase after final payment

lovedecruise

After logging onto Celebrity website I see we were now owing an extra NZ$116.00, ($58 each), and this is after we have made final payment. I believe Celebrity are entitled to add this on, but is this a common occurrence? And is it usually this much? When you make final payment, you hope that there won't be any further expenses but I guess this is the risk you take. The strange thing is, they never emailed us to say that we were owing this amount. If we hadn't checked the webpage and don't pay, what course of action could they take? Would it be added to our sea account or would we have be expected to pay it before boarding the ship?

Have any others had this experience and if so, how much have you had to pay in extra taxes? We will be on a 14 day cruise and docking at 7 ports and tendering to 2. If you calculate $58 x 2500 passengers, $145,000 is quite a big amount for extra taxes or port charges. Thanks for your help

I had a similar situation with a HAL trip a few years ago. Only I didn't find out until at the pier for check in. My choice was pay or don't go. In my case it was about $20 per person.

Common occurrence? No. Does it happen? Yes.

Edited by Bobby Dee

After logging onto Celebrity website I see we were now owing an extra NZ$116.00, ($58 each), and this is after we have made final payment. I believe Celebrity are entitled to add this on, but is this a common occurrence? And is it usually this much? When you make final payment, you hope that there won't be any further expenses but I guess this is the risk you take. The strange thing is, they never emailed us to say that we were owing this amount. If we hadn't checked the webpage and don't pay, what course of action could they take? Would it be added to our sea account or would we have be expected to pay it before boarding the ship?

Have any others had this experience and if so, how much have you had to pay in extra taxes? We will be on a 14 day cruise and docking at 7 ports and tendering to 2. If you calculate $58 x 2500 passengers, $145,000 is quite a big amount for extra taxes or port charges. Thanks for your help

Yes, it does happen and is in printed on just about every page on Celebrity's website and mailings. But never hurts to inquire. If they do tell you the charge is real...it is. They would not take the chance of overcharging for port taxes....

Edited by 20pluscruises