NCL leaving Samana??

Becky

:confused: Looking at the CC port section today (Dominican Republic) I read that RCCL and NCL are leaving Samana in 2014 for Tortola. Is this true? I sail on Jan. 1st and Samana is on my itinerary. Will we be stopping there?

:confused: Looking at the CC port section today (Dominican Republic) I read that RCCL and NCL are leaving Samana in 2014 for Tortola. Is this true? I sail on Jan. 1st and Samana is on my itinerary. Will we be stopping there?

There's no change for the Dec 2013 early 2014 itineraries where Samana is listed. In late 2014, NCL is substituting Tortola for Samana on itineraries e.g. Gem 9-Day 2H2014. Check your Vacation Summary on ncl.com.

Edited by kylenyc

Samana is definitely a port where you need to take an excursion to enjoy because the port is not a developed tourist trap like other ports where jewelry and gift shops abound. Excursions start at $15 for a transfer to Cayo Leventado beach. "Tour Samana with Terry" has some great excursions include a thrilling 12 zip line excursion that includes a nice lunch at the beach (no swimming), refreshments, visit to waterfalls, and cultural presentation, and other excursions such as island tour, ATV, horseback riding to El Limon waterfall, and whale watching. I've just booked my third excursion with them. To say there's nothing there is a bit of an exaggeration.

Edited by kylenyc

Samana is a beautiful port. I visited there on the Norwegian Dawn. I have to say the folks who operate the tender platform could use a little more skill on approaching the platform to the ship BUT that's about it. I liked Samana for the fact it's NOT developed and tourist traps don't exist. On my one visit I didn't go to Cayo Levantado which NCL was promoting but instead went over to the town. I took a tour to Las Terranas and truly felt like I was exploring the island. It was touristy there but not pushy touristy and not as developed as other places. I enjoy experiences like this versus being dumped into shopping malls like St Thomas gives you.

Casa de Campo on the Southern side of the Dominican Republic is truly in the middle of no where but there's a lot of nice excursions from there too. I think people just didn't like Samana because of the tendering involved. It took a while to get from ship to shore (not the beach stop) as NCL positioned the ship closer to the beach place.

Boopsahoy those are lovely photos. Is it Samana? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it next month. I found what I saw of Tortola forgettable, I'll check it out more one of these days, but Samana looks like it has the views that I'm interested in.

If they're photos of Tortola which beach was it at?

Boopsahoy those are lovely photos. Is it Samana? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it next month. I found what I saw of Tortola forgettable, I'll check it out more one of these days, but Samana looks like it has the views that I'm interested in.

If they're photos of Tortola which beach was it at?

Its Cayo Leantado at Samana. We took the ships tender (I think they charged last year 49.99 but when the day came they changed it to 14.95 if I recall correctly) It was our favorite beach.

We took a ship excursion in Samana and found that port completely forgettable!

Whale museum? HAHA!

Cigar rolling in some guys garage? HAHA!

Absolutely no shopping or dining near the dock!

Nice to do once, but we gave feedback to NCL that this was our least favorite port, too, so glad they are looking at a more attractive alternative.

Whale museum? HAHA!

Nice to do once, but we gave feedback to NCL that this was our least favorite port, too, so glad they are looking at a more attractive alternative.

We were looking for a beach day and it was perfect. I know nothing about any of the other excursions. Although Ive heard from people that took private excursions (not through NCL) that they loved it.

Its Cayo Leantado at Samana. We took the ships tender (I think they charged last year 49.99 but when the day came they changed it to 14.95 if I recall correctly) It was our favorite beach.

Currently it's $14 for the transfer to the beach, and $44 for beach transfer "plus" which includes use of "kayaks, pedal boats, sun floats and snorkeling equipment". If you go with just the $14 transfer, you can rent the equipment anyways if you so desire.

xenagurl... Surprised you aren't doing the zip line 6-in-1 tour with Terry... 12 zip lines woohoo!. It was thrilling and definitely unforgettable.

P1000077.JPG

P1000083.JPG

P1000090x.JPG

P1000144.JPG

P1000174.JPG

P1000186.JPG

Terry brings you to his office to process your payment which is next to a few stores for some quick shopping.

Edited by kylenyc

Thanks! :D

Currently it's $14 for the transfer to the beach, and $44 for beach transfer "plus" which includes use of "kayaks, pedal boats, sun floats and snorkeling equipment". If you go with just the $14 transfer, you can rent the equipment anyways if you so desire.

xenagurl... Surprised you aren't doing the zip line 6 in 1 tour with Terry. It's awesome!

Hmmmm I'll look into that Kylenyc. My only zip line experience was on the Breakaway and I only took that way down because someone was behind me and I couldn't walk back on the ropes course. LOL

xenagurl... Surprised you aren't doing the zip line 6-in-1 tour with Terry... 12 zip lines woohoo!. It was thrilling and definitely unforgettable.

P1000077.JPG

P1000083.JPG

P1000090x.JPG

P1000144.JPG

P1000174.JPG

P1000186.JPG

Terry brings you to his office to process your payment which is next to a few stores for some quick shopping.

I just checked my account and I paid 29 per person for just the ebach that hopefully will go down to 14 when we actually are on the cruise like it did last year. The website does not let you book it at 14, you have to do that onbard.

I just checked my account and I paid 29 per person for just the ebach that hopefully will go down to 14 when we actually are on the cruise like it did last year. The website does not let you book it at 14, you have to do that onbard.

I got those prices from NCL.com in my reservation for this Saturday which allows me to book it, and click the "add to cart" button. I wonder if they adjust ShorEx prices based on demand. I'd keep checking.

$14 Cayo Levantado Beach Escape, and

$44 Cayo Levantado Beach Escape "Plus"

Edited by kylenyc

Ben ziplined! Love it!

Oh... You didn't know? And he fell as he zipped across the very first line and tumbled into the forest. He was only hanging by his legs. :D Every since then I care a few clones. :D

Btw... There unlike some other ziplines that require you to hand brake yourself (including the one offered by the ShorEx), the Walk-the-Plank zip line that Terry brings you to has someone on every platform to stop you so you can focus on zipping not braking. You can go tandem, upside down, whatever. And Terry give his safety speech on the fine german engineering and several thousand pound capacity... before making you sign the liability release form :eek:.

Oh... You didn't know? And he fell as he zipped across the very first line and tumbled into the forest. He was only hanging by his legs. :D Every since then I care a few clones. :D

Btw... There unlike some other ziplines that require you to hand brake yourself (including the one offered by the ShorEx), the Walk-the-Plank zip line that Terry brings you to has someone on every platform to stop you so you can focus on zipping not braking. You can go tandem, upside down, whatever. And Terry give his safety speech on the fine german engineering and several thousand pound capacity... before making you sign the liability release form :eek:.

Sorry Ben and "Handler"...but I laughed at the bold. I'm glad that Ben went doing what he loved. Traveling!

Hmmm ya' know I think I might stick to the beach. LOL

I got those prices from NCL.com in my reservation for this Saturday which allows me to book it, and click the "add to cart" button. I wonder if they adjust ShorEx prices based on demand. I'd keep checking.

$14 Cayo Levantado Beach Escape, and

$44 Cayo Levantado Beach Escape "Plus"

I just called shorex and was told my sailing 1/11/14 the price is 29 bucks but again hopefully like last year they will reduce it to 14 when on board. He said different sailing dates have different prices -who knew? :D

Edited toi add he pointed pout to me if you do a general search for this tour it says prices "from" $14. Its way worth 29 bucks!

Edited by boopsahoy

Whale museum? HAHA!

Tortola is not more attractive. We found even less to do in Tortola than Samana. Both ports should be taken off, or another one added. We did a 10 day a few years ago with an extra port. Much better.

Safe sailing