Request for Help with Alaska Itinerary

tymike

Hi all! I spoke with my PCC last night about an Alaska cruise in July, 2015 and actually booked two rooms on the 7/26 Pearl sailing for five of us in adjoining suites. I knew at the time I might need to change the date and now I know I have to. So....that got me thinking (as opposed to being purely impulsive!!!:p) and I wanted to ask this wonderful community which itinerary you would recommend? I have read many Alaska reviews over the years on CC, but as I never had an Alaska cruise on the horizon, I sadly didn't pay enough attention to the details. I used the reviews to look at gorgeous pictures of the scenery and the ships!

Thanks to all of you for your invaluable past advice, and I hope you have more to offer for this Alaska adventure!

Any thoughts as to which ship is 'better' would be greatly appreciated as well. I have sailed on the Jewel but only for a 2 night CTN. Had a great time...but don't know how a week would be compared to the Pearl. Thanks again! :)

The Pearl is a wonderful ship with a great staff. If at all possible, please add a couple of days to either end of the cruise just to see Seattle.

Thanks for your reply! Exactly what I was thinking as far as adding days! Plus I don't want any stress as far as getting to the ship! Do you have any hotel recommendations pre and post cruise? That would be great! Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply! Exactly what I was thinking as far as adding days! Plus I don't want any stress as far as getting to the ship! Do you have any hotel recommendations pre and post cruise? That would be great! Thanks again!

It can be a little pricey, but we love the Seattle Marriott Waterfront. It is literally across the street from the port.

This year the Jewel offered a glacier explorer excursion that left Juneau a bit before the Jewel sailed out. The excursion was able to run ahead and see whales and wildlife and get dang close to the 2 glaciers up Tracey Arm. Got right up to a waterfall, sailed through all the icebergs with the cute little seals. We even saw a 'shooter' as we were getting ready to leave the channel. Truly a great experience. We joined up with the Jewel as it was turning around. I don't know what is offered on the Glacier Bay as I haven't done that, but I sure am glad we took the opportunity to go on this excursion - that experience really 'made' that cruise for us.

I'm also a big fan of the Jewel and the Tracy Arm run myself. If I do this itinerary again, I would love to try the Sawyer "up close" excursion. Having done it twice now (once from a suite), that would be the next step.

If you're interested and haven't seen these already...

Here's a video I put together... Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier in 12 minutes...

and my Jewel "review" - mostly pics and commenting...

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916287

It can be a little pricey, but we love the Seattle Marriott Waterfront. It is literally across the street from the port.

This is where we stayed. It was incredibly convenient. The bellman from the hotel took our bags across the street and dropped them off with the porters. :D

This is the view from our room

DSCN4601-vi.jpg

This year the Jewel offered a glacier explorer excursion that left Juneau a bit before the Jewel sailed out. The excursion was able to run ahead and see whales and wildlife and get dang close to the 2 glaciers up Tracey Arm. Got right up to a waterfall, sailed through all the icebergs with the cute little seals. We even saw a 'shooter' as we were getting ready to leave the channel. Truly a great experience. We joined up with the Jewel as it was turning around. I don't know what is offered on the Glacier Bay as I haven't done that, but I sure am glad we took the opportunity to go on this excursion - that experience really 'made' that cruise for us.

We loved this excursion too. I'm sure glacier bay is amazing, but so was Tracy Arm

IMG_3083-vi.jpg

IMG_3166-vi.jpg

DSCN5274-vi.jpg

Best of both worlds...book that excursion on the Pearl (it's offered on that cruise as well) then do Glacier Bay!

Am thinking of take an Alaska cruise as well. Would like to leave from Seattle RT. Do all the ships travel the inner passage or only some of them. Looking at the itineraries I really can't tell if they do (and which ones) or if they don't.

Harriet

Thank you. I didn't see 'inside passage' mentioned in any of the descriptions.

I promise I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but it "Inside Passage" is clearly indicated right on the Alaska page...

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-destination/alaska/overview

as well as on the Itinerary pages under each ship's vacations...

JWL_7d_SawyerGlacier_RT_Seattle3_266x197_1.jpg

I promise I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but it "Inside Passage" is clearly indicated right on the Alaska page...

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-destination/alaska/overview

as well as on the Itinerary pages under each ship's vacations...

JWL_7d_SawyerGlacier_RT_Seattle3_266x197_1.jpg

I know you're not trying to be a smart-ass! :)

To be honest, I never even looked at the map!

All I read was:

Day

Port

Arrive

Sat

Seattle (EMBARK)

---

Sun

At Sea

---

Mon

Ketchikan

7:00 am

Tue

Juneau

Sawyer Glacier

---

Wed

Skagway

Thu

At Sea

---

Fri

Victoria, BC, Canada

2:30 pm

Sat

Seattle (DISEMBARK)

8:00 am

I guess I was looking for 'inside passage' ! LOL

And, I've never seen that link you provided above.

So....

Thank you!

Harriet

We stayed at the Hotel 5 Seattle, on the corner of 5th & Blanchard. It used to be the Downtown Ramada Inn. Reasonable rates, close to Pike Place Market, Space Needle & Science Center. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

I would recomend the Pearl and Glacier Bay!

This was my favorite cruise to date and the Pearl is my favorite ship so far!

We stayed at the "Belltown Inn" 3rd ave & Bell st.

We walked down Bell st. right to the peir with our bags

on embarkation day. The only drawback to the hotel was it

was noisy at night in that area.

I enjoyed Seattle almost as much as the cruise. You can

see alot of it just walking, as long as it's down hill!!!!!

Has anybody sailed on the Sun in Alaska. We were thinking about the Sun for August 2015 because it leaves from Seward, AK and goes to Vancouver.

Any advice would be helpful.

We did the northbound Vancouver BC to Whittier AK this June - great cruise :) Attached is link to my photo report/review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1861758

If you go to the Alaska board on CC you'll find a sticky that was created that has a list of many 2013 Alaska cruise reviews (not just NCL but all lines). Nice to have them in one spot for easy reading.

Has anybody sailed on the Sun in Alaska. We were thinking about the Sun for August 2015 because it leaves from Seward, AK and goes to Vancouver.

Any advice would be helpful.

We sailed the Sun's northbound itinerary in May. We flew into Seattle and stayed downtown. Next morning took the train to Vancouver where we did another overnight at a hotel within walking distance of the port. Did a ship's tour to Misty Fjords, whalewatching with Harv and Marv, and the Yukon with Dyea Dave. Saw both Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier. After disembarking we took a day cruise of the Prince William Sound with Major Marine before taking the train into Anchorage. We rented a car and did our own DIY cruisetour. We spent 3 nights at a B&B in the Denali area, one night in Wasilla, and turned the car in at the airport.

My best advice, if you choose the Sun, is to try to score one of those two BC cabins (1202 or 1002) on the bow.

We sailed the Sun's northbound itinerary in May. We flew into Seattle and stayed downtown. Next morning took the train to Vancouver where we did another overnight at a hotel within walking distance of the port. Did a ship's tour to Misty Fjords, whalewatching with Harv and Marv, and the Yukon with Dyea Dave. Saw both Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier. After disembarking we took a day cruise of the Prince William Sound with Major Marine before taking the train into Anchorage. We rented a car and did our own DIY cruisetour. We spent 3 nights at a B&B in the Denali area, one night in Wasilla, and turned the car in at the airport.

My best advice, if you choose the Sun, is to try to score one of those two BC cabins (1202 or 1002) on the bow.

Thanks for the advice about 1202 and 1002. I tried looking for them and they are not available.

Thanks for the advice about 1202 and 1002. I tried looking for them and they are not available.

They book very quickly. Two years ago I booked 1202 the first day the itineraries were available for booking. I had to call my PCC to get the prices (they weren't on the website yet) and booked on the spot.

WOW! I am overwhelmed by the number and the amount of information in the responses! Thank you so much to everyone! I wasn't able to check CC last night so I had no idea what was waiting for me after work today. Fabulous! It will take me some time to digest everything and watch all the videos and view the pics but I want to thank everyone very, very much!!:):)