Need help with Elation's port time,tendering,ect...

SLL

We are wanting to book cavetubing at Belize, but since we have never been on a ship that tendered, we are very confused about the time differences. How does tendering and time work on Elation ship? If we don't book through Carnival for cave tubing (can't afford them), what time should we expect to get off the ship? I've read that Carnival excursions get to tender first. We won't cut in line or go when were not suppose to, so at what time should we expect to get off? Will the people at cave tubing give me Belize time to meet them at port, or will they give me ship time to meet them? If we wait until carnival tells us that we can tender to get off the ship, will we be late for our cave tubing; therefore, miss the last tender back to ship that afternoon?

Sorry about all the questions, we are just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks. :)

Hi SLL:

I have done my own cave-tubing excursions in Belize off of the Elation before; it is NOT a problem.

Although the "policy" is that early Carnival excursions get off on the first few tenders, the ship disembarks quickly in Belize and everyone is ashore in plenty of time to catch their excursions, including excursions you book on your own.

Just enjoy a big breakfast and make your way to the tenders without too much delay; it's no sweat.

You just need to let the excursion company know the ship you are arriving on and that you will meet them onshore about an hour after arrival; they will wait for you, believe me. They want your business and they have done this thousands of times.

The cave tubing is a blast for all ages; you won't be disappointed!

Bill Grier

Waynesville MO.

All of the excursion companies know the ships schedules well and accomodate them. We were apprehensive our first time tendering in too, but looking back it all went quite well. We've now done it several times and never had a problem.

We just returned yesterday from the Elation, and all I can say is "don't worry". I was very concerned about this as well, but it all worked fine. If you are not taking a Carnival tour, you will need to go to the Cole Porter Lounge where they will give you tender tickets. We got there early, and were in the first tender group after the Carnival tours. However, there were people in our cave tubing group that were in the 3rd group. While we were waiting on the pier for our tour guides to get everything organized, I saw people walking by with tender 5 stickers on their shirts, so it will not be a problem. The tour companies are all very aware of the tendering process, and they will not leave you.

One word of advise though. Make sure you know exactly how your tour company will handle refunds if your trip has to be cancelled. Ours was. We met our tour guide, paid our remaining balance in cash-no credit cards (depposit paid by credit card online), and loaded in the van. We got all the way to the place where you turn off the highway to get to the river and found out there that the caves had been closed due to rains. I think the first couple of groups that went with Carnival got through, before the water got too high and they had to be closed. Our guide offered to take us to the zoo, or on a city tour, but everyone in our van (our family of 4 and another party of 6) declined. We returned to the tourist village instead. By this time it was too late to do any kind of snorkeling or beach excursion:( . There was a great deal of confusion concerning getting our money back. Apparently the manager had all of the cash we had just paid with her, and she had taken a group on a day-long tour. We did not have any other cash with us, as lunch, beverages etc, was all included in our tour, and we weren't planning on purchasing any souveniers. We ended up waiting around the tourist village all day, trying to get our money back. They kept telling us they would send us a check, but I just wasn't comfortable with that. I had just handed them an envelope full of cash, and I wanted it back:mad: . Once we're on the boat and gone - what recourse would we have? I'm sure they would have sent it to me, but I guess I'm just not very trusting. Anyway, the guides were very nice and did manage to scrounge up the cash somewhere, but it was a totally wasted day.

We also just got back from the Elation. The night before, they had everyone on board change to Belize time so there was no time difference while we were in port. The joke was that we'll give you an extra hour but then we had to give it back the next night.

They do let the Carnival arranged tours leave first. My DH was a little late getting to the lounge for a sticker. We got #5. They called 1&2 together. Then they called 3,4,5, & 6 together. The were loading tenders from two exits on the ship so it seemed to go pretty quickly. We were on shore by 9:50 for our 10am tour. We went snorkeling with Coral Breeze. Our tour boat seemed to be full of Elation passengers. Everyone made it by 10am and we didn't have to wait.

Archived