Mosquitos and other bugs

roberts2005

We are doing an Oceania cruise in January.

Have not seen any recent posts on this topic.

How bad is the situation and what sprays are available to purchase in Tahiti . Rather not have to pack from home, unless it is better to bring from states

Any advice from prior cruisers will be appreciated

We were on an Oceania cruise last January and the only problem we encountered with bugs was when we visited an archaeological site in the forest in Moorea. Even there it wasn't all that bad - I used a little deep woods off I brought from home and that worked just fine. My bug sensitive wife used nothing at all and didn't complain (much).

You can find good repellents in small pump aresol bottles that go through security with no problems.

Overall, we had few bug problems on our trip from Valparaiso to Papeete, including a tour of the island of Tahati. I hope you experience the same.

I had a problem with ant bites at the Le Meriden Tahiti before our cruise, and then didn't see another bug (except flies and the occasional HUGE wasp) until we had one mosquito in our van on our post-cruise island tour. Our guide said the mosquitoes are worse on the leeward side of the island.

Manoi works well which can be purchased once your there. I prefer Buggspray.com .......... the vanilla scent ;)

Is manoi available at Le Marche in Papeete? We'll be there killing some time prior to boarding the Ocean Princess next Sunday morning, December 29. I haven't had any luck getting a half day tour that would pick up at the airport due to the luggage issue, so getting the wine and bug spray will be the errands prior to boarding. Which brings up another question......is wine even sold on Sundays?

Monoi found easily. Open stores on a Sunday in Le Marche, not so much. Not sure about wine. Watch out for Princess confiscating any wine you bring aboard!

Just off Ocean Princess - boarded with 4 bottles, no one said anything. So we went back off and got two more bottles! We paid corkage on the 4 we drank with dinner and kept two for in-room use.