New Orleans hotels with shuttle to port???

Kelownabccan

Need to stay one night at airport area and then to the ship the next day....any suggestions with a free shuttle to the Dream.....and then after the cruise we want to stay in the area by the French Quarter or downtown??? for about 4 days.....never been to New Orleans so this is a first try at the city.....thanks.....a cold Canadian....winter has hit...lol.....

Hi there, my family and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Convention Center in mid November. They have a free shuttle to the port and breakfast was included each day we were there. The rooms were enormous, clean and affordable. It was about a 10 minute walk to the French Quarter.

FYI when I researched it I didnt find any airport hotels with free shuttles, all taxi rides to the french quarter, central business district or convention center areas were $33 for 2 ppl and $14 per person for 3 or more

Hope that helps.

I thought so when looking at the airport hotels.....and like the tip about the Hampton downtown.....will check it out.....we arrive MSY at about 9 pm so wonder if it is better to stay out at the airport rather than go close to the cruise port for the one night stay....

I thought so when looking at the airport hotels.....and like the tip about the Hampton downtown.....will check it out.....we arrive MSY at about 9 pm so wonder if it is better to stay out at the airport rather than go close to the cruise port for the one night stay....

If you don't get in until 9 PM, and staying in the downtown/FQ area then it will probably be at least 10-10:30 PM before you are checked in to your hotel. Unless you intend to go out that night, paying extra to stay in the French Quarter or business district seems a waste of money to me. Of course, if it's about the same, the only consideration is whether you want to ride in that night or the next morning.

If it were me, I'd opt for staying somewhere cheap that night and cab it in the next day as I would probably be tired after a flight, especially as you will have several days in NOLA after the cruise. The downside would be two cab rides, I guess.

I do like the Hampton on Carondelet St., if that is the same as the one you are thinking of.

Even with a 9pm arrival, I'd still go into downtown New Orleans over staying out at the airport.

Check out the many hotels in the Warehouse district/Convention Center district. These are all convenient to the cruise port, although a little less convenient to the FQ. Some are even within walking distance of the cruise port, if your luggage load allows that.

When you come back, for the full experience, try one of the many small hotels in the FQ. A little more money, but worth it for the convenience and the flavor. Just don't stay on anything on Bourbon street, unless you don't want to sleep!

A generic compromise is the Hilton, which is at the foot of Canal street, and about equi-distant between the cruise port and the FQ.

Edited by VideoTech

• 2 weeks later...

When we last sailed out of NOLA we stayed at the Springhill Suites near the port and found a great rate. For our cruise this month the SS was more than double so we booked the park and cruise rate at the Ramada Inn Metaire for $109. They include airport pickups, breakfast, and a shuttle to the port for that rate.