Cabinmate potentially not traveling-what to do?

jenmcnitt

Due to a change of plans, my cabin roommate is potentially unable to take our cruise now at the end of January.

We've paid for our flights through ChoiceAir and are past final payment for our cruise.

I haven't called RCI until I hear from him on if this is definite or not, but I would like feedback on what I potentially should do if my roommate is not going in case this has happened to someone else out there.

-Should I go on my own? I've traveled solo before, but not on a cruise. I'm not sure how fun this trip would be solo. I'll be on the Jewel of the Seas and am currently setup for my time dining. I don't have any family members/friends that I know of yet who would be able to make this trip with me instead.

-Would RCI bank what I've paid for the cruise in January toward something in the future? I'm assuming we would loose what we've paid toward flights?

-Does RCI refund pre-paid excursions & gratuities if you have to reschedule?

The flight costs were almost as costly as the cabin cost, so I'm not sure that this is a good option either.

Thanks!

If you have to cancel, you will receive refunds for prepaid excursions, gratuties, and taxes. You may not be in the 100% penalty period yet, so you might be able to get a portion of your cruise fare back. You would have to check with Choice Air about any potential refunds for your flights. Those are usually non-refundable.

You might want to check out the roll call for your sailing as well as the solo cruising board to get an idea if you'd like to cruise solo.

Since it looks like you are from MN, I'd say a cruise from San Juan at the end of January would be wonderful, especially since the Jewel is such a lovely ship.

You noted that you are signed up for MTD- are you concerned about eating by yourself? Can you see about switching to a larger table at either traditional seatings instead?

Then they also have gatherings, like a lunch for singles, etc, that you can meet up with other solo cruisers and find some nice folks to hang out with for the cruise.

Best of luck

I have read so many positive things on this board about cruising solo. I've never cruised solo however were I in your shoes I would give it a try since you will lose money otherwise. If you go, I hope you will come back and share your experience.

I love to cruise solo, I meet the nicest people and do not have to compromise about what I want to do. You get better seats at shows because there are always single seats when most people are looking for two or more. Go with an open mind and have fun.

Have been cruising solo for many years and prefer it over having a cabin mate.

Go and enjoy the cruise !

As for as having MTD you have several options to consider such as :

Keeping MTD and enjoy the flexibility of dining when you want. You might even meet others with MTD that you can invite to join you or vice versa.

You can always asked to be seated with other people even with MTD.

OR

On embarkation day go directly to the dining room and speak with the Matre'D to see if you could be moved to Traditional Dining. Fitting one person in at the last minute generally is not an issue.