Two GAPearl reviews in one! Imagination 3 day 11/15 & Sensation 3 day 12/12- PLATINUM

gapearl

I have never done a solo cruise before but I actually almost did this last time on the Imagination due to a friend having to back out at the last minute. I found a replacement in time though. Lol. I definitely would consider it in the future now if the price and itinerary was right. Seeing how much fun you seem to have cruising solo has absolutely shown me that it can be fun and I might just try it myself someday.

The comedy really is hit or miss but it really all does depend on what type of comedy you are into. What is funny to one person may not be funny to the next person. The comedy club usually is the place to be in the evening though. I actually gave my reviews of all the comedians I saw on my last two cruises in my trip reports.

The food is ok in general on these ships but honestly the lido specialty options are the best. I just love the wok. And wcmc. :D you and me both. I plan on making a batch of it for dessert on Christmas. I even get it with the two ice creams now although I did not know you could also order it with butter pecan.

The senor frog's in Nassau isn't as nice as the one in freeport. I went to both and although the views are better at the Nassau one, it isnt as much fun. The new straw market is a lot nicer than the old one which iirc, was destroyed by a fire. The little wooden boxes down by the water are new and no, I don't know what they are for. My biggest complaint about Nassau is that a lot of the people there are too pushy and not friendly enough to the visitors as they should be. It is a nice place otherwise.

And hey, btw...you wouldn't be the same Kim that I think I briefly met one day last summer when you came through PHL?

I love solo cruising. I did find myself wishing I had brought someone with me on Sensation, though. I didn't feel as social on that cruise. I hope Carnival continues to waive the solo supplement for some of their cruises into 2014. That would make me more likely to book one or two more. Nassau definitely makes for a cheap, lazy beach day. Next time I'll do a real tour before hitting up Junkanoo again. I've never attempted to make the wcmc. Maybe I should! I have no idea who I might have met in PHL last year. Definitely a possibility we might have crossed paths. lol :p

Great itinerary from San Juan!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

Yes it is! I think I need to book and figure out later how to make it work. lol

This is an EXCELLENT review!

It's funny, we had two near misses on both of these cruises. I was on Enchantment OTS on 11/16 as she was "backing that aft up" to the pier in Nassau. I was also on the Carnival Ecstasy for the 12/12 cruise, so we were port neighbors yet again. Small world no?

Get outta here! We might have walked right by each other at some point! LOL Definitely a small world. Thanks for reading!

Been reading your reviews and you do a great job! I am hoping to write my first on after I get off the splendor in may 2014!

This cirque show is the first one I saw when we went to orlando for a 2 week family vacate.... it was amazing!!!!!!!

Been a pleasure living vicariously through you for cruises. :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

YES you should! They're fun to do but man they take a lot of time. I'll really be on the lookout for it if I book the Splendor for next year. Glad to hear another positive review for La Nouba. I agree, it was amazing! You should try to see another show if you haven't. Thanks for reading! :)

Hi Kim, I love your ' joie de vivre' outlook on cruising. Yes it's hard to believe that it took until your 9th cruise on Carnival, 10th overall, to visit Nassau. I enjoyed all your reviews and have recently re-read your review on Valor since it will be our next cruise.

Because of you I have included a visit to Barrachina and also considering climbing the Piton. As of now I have Cosol tours booked because I want to eat and drink (party :D) rather than exert myself. I haven't told Tracy about the climb because she would insist we do it. :eek:

As we get closer to the cruise, I'm usually fitter and more likely to attempt the climb. :confused:

I agree with Mike! Seeing how many cruise's you have done and this is your first time in Nassau on a ship. I have been on 10 cruise's total and been to Nassau 7 times!!!:eek:

Around 2 pm, I headed to the rotisserie grill, my favorite place for lunch. Y'all I got there and guess what I saw. I'll give you a hint. It starts with corn and ends with bread. To those of you who might be reading my review for the first time, let me break this down. As a southern girl, I've been quite appalled over the years at what Carnival has tried to pass off as cornbread. Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

Valor, 2011. The post that started it all. You can't put corn on top of bread and call it cornbread.

8c8a52b0-45ef-4f00-a776-f1ba2c35bcea_zps760eb0e7.jpg

Valor, 2013. Not much different than last time, but just a little better.

6e996353-5b59-4a17-82d0-e94cd27202b3_zpsabae9e1d.jpg

Breeze, 2013. Jalapeno cornbread at Fat Jimmy's C-Side BBQ. YASSSSSSSSS!!!!

56015619-6a4f-4e80-a20e-2d73f7dd7d9f_zps8470ea04.jpg

Sensation, 2013. What the H is this?

483e4584-6e9c-4d92-80c8-9fad7af0515f_zps595fe5de.jpg

Now when I saw it in the pan, it really did look like cornbread. I got my hopes up a little, excited that it looked like they finally got it right and that I'd have a delicious compliment to my meal. At a closer glance, hmmmm, this doesn't look like cornbread so much now, but I ate it. I'm a carb lover and this was indeed some good bread. Only thing was IT WAS NOT CORNBREAD!!!!! It had a very familiar taste to it, and I finally realized where I've had this before.

086f5ae2-37ab-4855-9340-3f66377b9b30_zps1a19f2ca.jpg

This was pretty much the exact same bread I had at Cucina del Capitano, the Italian restaurant on the Breeze. It was some good bread, but not cornbread.

Here's my continued advice to Carnival, from my kitchen to yours.

e17383cf-05d3-4f44-b696-74bfee205cd4_zpsb662e40f.jpg

Otherwise, just give it up already. You guys do many things very well, but cornbread just ain't one of them.

Yeah! It does look like Carnival misses the boat when it comes to making cornbread!

Kim, I noticed you are on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean route next September. What date is your cruise? I am on the Breeze on September 21st going to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I wonder if we will share the port at either Grand Cayman or Cozumel???

Great review, Thanks.

The first review that I read of yours had the rant about the corn bread and you offering to teach them how to make corn bread. Since then I always look for your reviews.

Have a good trip to Memphis. Visited there this summer and loved it. Its a beautiful city and had lots of fun on Beale St.

Tonight was a very important night in tv land. It was the season finale of Scandal. I became obsessed with this show this year, thanks to the media frenzy and all my friends talking nonstop about it. Ironically, the season premiere happened during my Breeze cruise, and now the season finale is when I'm on another cruise, lol. I hurried from dinner and made it back to my cabin just in time, and guess what? A stupid football game was on. Yes, I already had it recording on my dvr at home, but I was dying to see what happened next with Mama Pope and if Huck finished off Quinn. Hey Jane! (Delta Dear) I had to wait until I got home Sunday! :eek:

Kim, OH, NO !!!! That was cause for mutiny. How did you ever survive????? LOL, thank goodness for the DVR.

around 2 pm, i headed to the rotisserie grill, my favorite place for lunch. Y'all i got there and guess what i saw. I'll give you a hint. It starts with corn and ends with bread. To those of you who might be reading my review for the first time, let me break this down. As a southern girl, i've been quite appalled over the years at what carnival has tried to pass off as cornbread. Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

Valor, 2011. The post that started it all. You can't put corn on top of bread and call it cornbread.

8c8a52b0-45ef-4f00-a776-f1ba2c35bcea_zps760eb0e7.jpg

valor, 2013. Not much different than last time, but just a little better.

6e996353-5b59-4a17-82d0-e94cd27202b3_zpsabae9e1d.jpg

breeze, 2013. Jalapeno cornbread at fat jimmy's c-side bbq. Yasssssssss!!!!

56015619-6a4f-4e80-a20e-2d73f7dd7d9f_zps8470ea04.jpg

sensation, 2013. What the h is this?

483e4584-6e9c-4d92-80c8-9fad7af0515f_zps595fe5de.jpg

now when i saw it in the pan, it really did look like cornbread. I got my hopes up a little, excited that it looked like they finally got it right and that i'd have a delicious compliment to my meal. At a closer glance, hmmmm, this doesn't look like cornbread so much now, but i ate it. I'm a carb lover and this was indeed some good bread. Only thing was it was not cornbread!!!!! It had a very familiar taste to it, and i finally realized where i've had this before.

086f5ae2-37ab-4855-9340-3f66377b9b30_zps1a19f2ca.jpg

this was pretty much the exact same bread i had at cucina del capitano, the italian restaurant on the breeze. It was some good bread, but not cornbread.

Here's my continued advice to carnival, from my kitchen to yours.

e17383cf-05d3-4f44-b696-74bfee205cd4_zpsb662e40f.jpg

otherwise, just give it up already. You guys do many things very well, but cornbread just ain't one of them.

a big lol

Happy Holidays Kim!

Another FABULOUS review! My first three cruises were done as a solo and way back then Carnival had no single supplement, it was a single share program wherein they matched you with a cabin mate for the week. For me it worked out great!

I enjoyed cruising solo, do what I want when I want and always meeting new people.

Mr. Right is going to come along when you least expect it and you aren't looking. That's what happened to me and my partner and that was 15 years ago and we are still very happy together and addicted to cruising!

Hope 2014 brings you more memories traveling and more great reviews to share with us.

Susan

I just had Jiffy cornbread for dinner tonight. It's so easy to make, even I can do it. We like to have cornbread with chili.

Enjoyed reading the review. Have a Merry Christmas!

You can't go wrong with Jiffy. Just add eggs and water and butter. lol Thanks for reading! Enjoy the rest of your Christmas. :)

Your cornbread posts get me everytime! So funny!

I don't even have to try to be funny with the cornbread posts. They're funny enough by themselves! LOL

Great review as always Kim. Enjoy your Holidays! :)

Thanks a lot and same to you!

Loving this review. Thank you!!

Glad you enjoyed, thanks for reading!

I think Carnival decides kind of last-minute, not sure based on which criteria. All I know is that about a month before my Sensation cruise, I got an e-mail alerting me about an itinerary change: the stay in Nassau was extended until 1:00 AM. It even mentioned enjoying the local nightlife, which I found odd but nice, considering that Carnival would rather have people enjoy nightlife onboard and spend money on drinks. It also said that all of Sensation's April sailings for 2013 were affected.

It seems like the unscheduled overnight stay in Nassau is limited to Sensation. I saw Victory docked right next to my ship in Nassau, along with Majesty of the Seas and Celebrity Equinox. (Interestingly, when I was finalizing my decision, I was torn between Sensation and Victory.) While I was sitting in Senor Frogs with my cruise friends, I saw Victory sail away in late afternoon, as it was, presumably, scheduled. That's when I was really glad I picked Sensation. Then, while stumbling back, I saw my ship all bathed in in bright lights at night. Now, that's a sight the Victory people didn't get to see.

Your Sensation review was great! I found myself looking at different shots and thinking "yup, I was here".

I believe the Sensation used to do scheduled overnights in Nassau and was the only ship from Port Canaveral that did. The guy on my shuttle said he was disappointed when they stopped. He would make the drive down from where he lived, I think Charlotte, all the time, but Miami was just too far. Now that Imagination is headed to the west coast, Ecstacy will now be doing the Nassau overnight from Miami. Hopefully that'll be another notch on my ship list next year. :)

Thanks for your wonderful review Kim. That itinerary for next fall looks tempting, VERY tempting. Enjoy your Christmas!

Thanks for reading! Yes, that itinerary looks awesome. Carnival hasn't done anything like that in a while. Thanks to Santa, I might be booking it sooner than later. ;)

Me too!! My very audible laugh erupted without warning uncontrollably... And DH is asleep! Thank heavens he is a good sleeper--only cannonfire could wake him up!

Very funny expression--with your permission, I'd like to continue using it as well. My mom always said, "Looking clean as the board of health," but I like your "open casket" better, GAPearl !:)

OMG, LOL!! LOL!!:):)

I laughed so hard I could barely catch my breath!!

DH is a great sleeper, but he'll wake up for sure now after the way I just howled out loud!!

I was gonna say tell him I said I'm sorry if you woke him. LOL Feel free to use that expression as well. I think I got it from one of the Tyler Perry "Madea" movies. :p

Like always another a great review...thanks!!! Well I went through my pile of clothes & instead of removing outfits, I added more...so yes once again I have over packed :eek:. But unlike most, I wear them all...I do so many outfits changes you'd think I was hosting the Grammy's:D. Since this upcoming cruise is a mother/daughter cruise for my moms 65th birthday I've decided I'm gonna have to channel my inner "Kim" so I can enjoy the nightlife when mom turns in...wish me luck!!

Tiana says "Merry Christmas"

TeeTee

Hahahahaha you'll be fine! Have fun and enjoy all the nightlife! Pack as much as you want, girl. I took two big suitcases on my Breeze cruise. I managed one for these two short ones, but still brought like 7 swimsuits and 7 dresses for a 3 day cruise. I have to have options! :D

Hi Kim! Nice to read another of your reviews. You didn't miss anything by skipping Sharkeez. Terrible service in that place even if you sit at the bar....

I think I read mixed reviews on trip advisor saying the same thing about Sharkeez. It would have been cool to try another local spot for the heck of it, but I see I didn't miss much.