Sunshine or Elation

MickeyNicki

I am debating between the Carnival Sunshine or Elation out of New Orleans in March. Besides the Sunshine being a 7 day and the Elation being a 5 day, which cruise would you prefer and why? In this case the 7 day is actually a downfall because we will be driving and I have to be at work the next day. It is a 16 hour drive for us. The Elation will be visiting Progresso and Cozumel. The Sunshine will be visiting Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman. Some background -- We are a family of 4. My two children are 10 and 12. We have cruised on Carnival two times. Previously, we have visited Cozumel, Calica, and the Bahamas. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

We are going on elation in early January . This will be our 3rd trip on her. Out of galvestion and mobile, now NO. I love the size of the ship. Have only heard stories about sunshine. Mostly that is a cram packed ship.

Elation is a bit old fashion, with no special places to eat.

Just me speaking but I like the Cozumel and progresso thing. I have been to jamacia and cayman and ok with not returning (actually been like 3 times each). This will ne trip #14 to Cozumel and I never get tired of it.

I would hate to know I had to return to work after driving ..driving..driving and more driving.

Ive been on both, and hands down no contest for the Sunshine. The whole family would have so much more to experience. The kids will love the water park on the Sunshine and the adults the 3 story Serenity area. There are so many food choices, Guys Burgers will be a major hit with the kids and adults alike a well as The Bluelguana, for tacos and burritos. There is also some sandwiches, wraps and other stuff available on sea days at Serenity, and Sea Dogs, a hot dog-shaped cart within the SportSquare outdoor recreation another great area to play for the kids. Loved spending 12 days on the Sunshine and looking forward to 11 more days in April.

It also has the best Cruise Director at Sea so you know you will have fun! Those 2 extra days and better ports will make the drive home doable.

Thank you for the replies so far! Can someone tell me about the Water Works on the Sunshine compared to the pool on the Elation. How about the rope course? Both of those are things I think the kids would enjoy. I realize the drive home would be long, but fortunately my husband does all the driving so I don't have to worry about that. What time could we plan on disembarking?

Thank you for the replies so far! Can someone tell me about the Water Works on the Sunshine compared to the pool on the Elation. How about the rope course? Both of those are things I think the kids would enjoy. I realize the drive home would be long, but fortunately my husband does all the driving so I don't have to worry about that. What time could we plan on disembarking?

I'm a old guy so the water works don't matter to me. I was on the TA for 16 nights and had a good time. Now if you have kids or you care for the water work it would be Sunshine. Hands down. Can't be beat. Now I also love the Elation and doing B2B next month. I have been on 30 plus cruises and don't have to have all the fancy stuff. But for young people it has to be the Subshine

I'm a old guy so the water works don't matter to me. I was on the TA for 16 nights and had a good time. Now if you have kids or you care for the water work it would be Sunshine. Hands down. Can't be beat. Now I also love the Elation and doing B2B next month. I have been on 30 plus cruises and don't have to have all the fancy stuff. But for young people it has to be the Subshine

We do have kids and I think the kids would really like the Water Works. We have been on the Elation twice and that is the only ship we have been on, so for us we have nothing to compare it to. The have loved the Elation, but I bet they would really love the Sunshine because of the added activities. Anyone out there taken any kids on the Sunshine? My children are 10 and 12.

How long is the drive?

Is there anything you would like to do on an extra day in New Orleans?

Your family will have a good time on either ship.

So make the right decision for yourself.

If you have a tiring job, it might not be so good to go back to work wiped out from the drive.

And Progreso is the port you want if you want an excursion to Mayan ruins.

That said, I have sailed Elation 5 times so far.

It is okay.

I would like to do Sunshine, but my husband has trouble getting off work long enough.

When he took off ten days for a cruise he heard about it from his boss at every meeting for over a year. Sucky, but true.

How long is the drive?

Is there anything you would like to do on an extra day in New Orleans?

Your family will have a good time on either ship.

So make the right decision for yourself.

If you have a tiring job, it might not be so good to go back to work wiped out from the drive.

And Progreso is the port you want if you want an excursion to Mayan ruins.

That said, I have sailed Elation 5 times so far.

It is okay.

I would like to do Sunshine, but my husband has trouble getting off work long enough.

When he took off ten days for a cruise he heard about it from his boss at every meeting for over a year. Sucky, but true.

Thank you for your reply! Our drive is 16 hours. I know it is a long drive, but short compared to others we have made:) My job is tiring, I am a teacher, but I don't have students the first day back. We have done the Mayan Ruins already because we went to Calica on Elation last year. We loved it! The one thing that is holding me back is the drive. We always drive all the way through and my husband does most of the driving. I would really like to try a new ship and new ports, but trying to decide if it is worth it. If I knew everything would go exactly as planned, I wouldn't hesitate. But you know nothing ever goes exactly as planned:)

I am debating between the Carnival Sunshine or Elation out of New Orleans in March. Besides the Sunshine being a 7 day and the Elation being a 5 day, which cruise would you prefer and why? In this case the 7 day is actually a downfall because we will be driving and I have to be at work the next day. It is a 16 hour drive for us. The Elation will be visiting Progresso and Cozumel. The Sunshine will be visiting Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman. Some background -- We are a family of 4. My two children are 10 and 12. We have cruised on Carnival two times. Previously, we have visited Cozumel, Calica, and the Bahamas. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

We have been on the Elation when she was in Mobile and it was a fun time...... for adults. It was a January cruise so there really weren't many, if any, kids aboard. Like several have mentioned, it does not have the upgrades that the Sunshine has and for children I think the Sunshine is the way to go. If your children love the kids programs and will be in there all the time it won't matter about the upgrades as much but I still think they would have such a great adventure on the larger ship. We will be on the Sunshine on March 16 and can hardly wait. For the cost out of New Orleans I think a 5 day and 7 day cruise is similar. Just another reason I would choose the 7 day cruise. Take early disembarkation and start driving(or riding). You'll be a little tired the day after but you'll have had such a great time and you'll be an even bigger rock star to the kids for having taken them on that amazing trip.

Thank you for your reply! Our drive is 16 hours. I know it is a long drive, but short compared to others we have made:) My job is tiring, I am a teacher, but I don't have students the first day back. We have done the Mayan Ruins already because we went to Calica on Elation last year. We loved it! The one thing that is holding me back is the drive. We always drive all the way through and my husband does most of the driving. I would really like to try a new ship and new ports, but trying to decide if it is worth it. If I knew everything would go exactly as planned, I wouldn't hesitate. But you know nothing ever goes exactly as planned:)

How about your husband and kids drive back and you get a one way flight back home? I have done that before when I needed to be somewhere. You'll definitely owe your husband for driving that long with the kids alone but it'll keep you from being so tired and they can sleep in the next day.

We do have kids and I think the kids would really like the Water Works. We have been on the Elation twice and that is the only ship we have been on, so for us we have nothing to compare it to. The have loved the Elation, but I bet they would really love the Sunshine because of the added activities. Anyone out there taken any kids on the Sunshine? My children are 10 and 12.

I have 4 sons 3 grandkids and one great grand daughter.You and your kids will love the sunshine. I have been on 30 plus cruises and know that if I would take the grand kids again it would have to be the Sunshine. I don't need anythink to be happy. I'm doing B2B on the Elation next month. But I will be solo.

We've been on both ships, and I'd have to say the Sunshine wins--it's not really a contest there. I think you and your family would like the Sunshine much better. I also think the itinerary is better for the Sunshine. If you can reasonably get home to work after the Sunshine cruise, that is what I would do.