Secret River and Playa del Carmen

maddiesean

Has anyone done the caverns with children? We are looking at doing this excursion with an 11 and 9 year old. Wondering how deep the water is and how much swimming is involved. Thanks in advance!

They have life vest. You float the whole time. We did with 4 boys a long time ago. I think they were about that age.

There is some swimming, but its not a lot. As the previous poster pointed out, they do provide life vests, helmets, wetsuits, and water shoes. It was a total blast. I think there was no more then 5 minutes of swimming where you couldnt touch the bottom. But I am 5'. The life vest holds you up no problem, not hard on you, or making you really work out on trying to keep yourself afloat. Kinda like how you would float if you had one of the swim noodles u shaped under your arms, and how it holds you up, and how you lazily paddle. Thats how. However, there is a lot of walking in knee-waist high water. But i think i remember them saying it depends on the season. Totally awesome and memorable excursion though. The pictures are awesome... The one funny thing i remember was how lax they are in mexico. At the end of the excursion, they offered everyone a shot of this honey licorice liquor. They asked if everyone was 18. When the parents of two boys in our party said the kids were underage, the guide asked, if it was okay for them to have it anyhow. The parents looked at each other like, what?But allowed the kids to share one shot. I would guess them to early to mid teens though. Made me chuckle.

Edited by Nightstarzz