Debit Card & Cash

dman1

I really appreciate all the help you all are on this board. It has been very helpful as we prepare for our cruise this weekend! I know you need a credit/debit card on file for your sea pass but if I went to purser after boarding and gave them cash to add to the account will they pull out expenses from cash first before deducting from debit card? If for some insane reason I actually have a cash balance remaining will I get it back at the end of the cruise or do they add the credit balance to the debit card? Thanks again for all the help!!!

I really appreciate all the help you all are on this board. It has been very helpful as we prepare for our cruise this weekend! I know you need a credit/debit card on file for your sea pass but if I went to purser after boarding and gave them cash to add to the account will they pull out expenses from cash first before deducting from debit card? If for some insane reason I actually have a cash balance remaining will I get it back at the end of the cruise or do they add the credit balance to the debit card? Thanks again for all the help!!!

You don't need a credit or debit card. You can choose to have a cash account and not give them any card info.

Also, there's no need to initially give them any money. Royal will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account. At that point, you can use your credit or debit card to pay down the account.

If you have any excess credit left on the account, they will give you cash on the last night of the cruise.

I have used my debit card many times. Some banks will do a hold, I have never had that happen. I always put cash on my account either ahead of time or when I get on the ship. I have had money left (from the cash I put on the account) and it was credited back to my debit card within a few days in most cases. I do it this way so I dont' have to stand in line on the last night to settle my account. Extra $ goes back on debit and if I have a small balance it gets charged to the card.

And yes, they will use the cash first before doing anything with the debit card, at least in my experience

Hope this helps.

Edited by #1packerfan

• 4 weeks later...

I need a little help understanding the "cash" account idea. I have always used a cc for my onboard expenses but a friend that is going on her first cruise does not have any CC's. She has put her debit card account on her SetSail Pass for now but would prefer to do a cash account. #1 - Can you do this?? And if so, how?? #2 - if she leaves the debit card # on her info can she change to a cash account at the pier before boarding??

Thanks!

I need a little help understanding the "cash" account idea. I have always used a cc for my onboard expenses but a friend that is going on her first cruise does not have any CC's. She has put her debit card account on her SetSail Pass for now but would prefer to do a cash account. #1 - Can you do this?? And if so, how?? #2 - if she leaves the debit card # on her info can she change to a cash account at the pier before boarding??

Thanks!

You can change to a "cash" account on the online check-in page. You don't have to put any money down. Royal will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay the balance down. I would change the account type ahead of time, so as not to waste time at the check-in counter.

Edited by clarea

ok thanks! - sorry one more question - will she go to the desk on the last night and pay her account either by CC or Debit??? I know that sounds like a dumb question but i jsut want to be sure - I always use a CC, seems a lot easier but everyone's different!

ok thanks! - sorry one more question - will she go to the desk on the last night and pay her account either by CC or Debit??? I know that sounds like a dumb question but i jsut want to be sure - I always use a CC, seems a lot easier but everyone's different!

The account can be paid by CC, debit, or cash.

Just curious, and didn't see a reason to start a new thread just for this, do RCI ships have machines you can feed cash into for your onboard account or do you have to wait at Guest Services? Carnival has them and we typically feed several hundred dollar bills into it when we get on. We have our card attached to our account for any overages beyond the cash we put in.

Just curious, and didn't see a reason to start a new thread just for this, do RCI ships have machines you can feed cash into for your onboard account or do you have to wait at Guest Services? Carnival has them and we typically feed several hundred dollar bills into it when we get on. We have our card attached to our account for any overages beyond the cash we put in.

No machines on Royal like you describe. You must go to Guest Services to add cash to your account.

However, you can put funds on your account before the cruise if you wish. Just call 800-722-5443 and tell them you want to put a credit on your account. They will charge your credit card.

Edited by clarea

No machines on Royal like you describe. You must go to Guest Services to add cash to your account.

However, you can put funds on your account before the cruise if you wish. Just call 800-722-5443 and tell them you want to put a credit on your account. They will charge your credit card.

Great, thanks!

And, just to be doubly clear, money put in ahead of time is "refundable onboard credit" and can be taken back out in cash if it's not used, or issued as a credit to that debit card if it's still attached to the onboard account. (It's one of those "obvious in hindsight" things, but reassuring to know up front.)

We always put cash down on day 1 for our cabin. By day 5, I usually put my debit card (used as a credit card) on the account in case we go over the cash amount. We have never had any holds put on our card in 4 cruises. We always notify our bank that we will be out of town and where are going. No issues whatsover.

Have a great cruise! : )