San Sebastian Festival

GailnBrad

I understand this annual big festival will be Jan 16-19, 2014. We get off our cruise ship on Saturday morning the 18th and need to get right to the airport. I understand a big parade will be going on in old San Juan at 9:00am. Do you think we will have any problems getting off the ship and getting a taxi to the airport?

We are also disembarking at the Pan American Pier that morning. Our flight is not till around 4pm and were hoping to explore OSJ before our flight (either with a tour or independently).

Due to the festival, would we be better advised to avoid OSJ altogether that day? Not sure what plan B will be then :)

Thanks.

We are also disembarking at the Pan American Pier that morning. Our flight is not till around 4pm and were hoping to explore OSJ before our flight (either with a tour or independently).

Due to the festival, would we be better advised to avoid OSJ altogether that day? Not sure what plan B will be then :)

Thanks.

I can tell you that because of the festival traffic will be very bad, but it's a nice thing to see, lots of artworks, shows and drinks! Traffic will get worse as the day goes on mostly from people trying to get in, so I suggest that if you want to check it out go early and be there from 9am to 12:30 or 1pm at most

I can tell you that because of the festival traffic will be very bad, but it's a nice thing to see, lots of artworks, shows and drinks! Traffic will get worse as the day goes on mostly from people trying to get in, so I suggest that if you want to check it out go early and be there from 9am to 12:30 or 1pm at most

Thanks Ghezzy, that is very helpful - appreciate it!

Thanks.

We did this one year after getting off Serenade. Taxi could only get us as far as Fort Cristobal and had to drop us off there. We got there right at the start of one of the parades so we went up into the fort and watched from the walls of the fort. Got some pretty good pictures from up there and saw the whole parade. The traffic does get pretty crazy and getting back to the airport from Cristobal took longer than expected. It's doable but make sure you have plenty of time to get out of OSJ.

I understand this annual big festival will be Jan 16-19, 2014. We get off our cruise ship on Saturday morning the 18th and need to get right to the airport. I understand a big parade will be going on in old San Juan at 9:00am. Do you think we will have any problems getting off the ship and getting a taxi to the airport?

If you are getting off the ship and going straight to the airport, you shouldn't have any problems with festival traffic- if you are docking at the Pan Am Pier. It is not located in downtown Old San Juan and the airport is in the opposite direction.

Traffic will definitely be rough for anyone attempting to get into Old San Juan.

Too funny! The last cruise we went to OSJ, shopped, ate at Barrachina and headed to the airport at 1:30 for a 4:00 flight and barely made it due to a protest that shut down the highway. Sheesh! It seems like we are in for quite a ride again. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd be all that disappointed if we didn't make the flight, but . . . good to know about the parade. I guess we should allow an extra hour. It will be an early lunch at Barrachina. :)

Cheers,

Koohiichan

Too funny! The last cruise we went to OSJ, shopped, ate at Barrachina and headed to the airport at 1:30 for a 4:00 flight and barely made it due to a protest that shut down the highway. Sheesh! It seems like we are in for quite a ride again. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd be all that disappointed if we didn't make the flight, but . . . good to know about the parade. I guess we should allow an extra hour. It will be an early lunch at Barrachina. :)

Cheers,

Koohiichan

Ahh, but you are on AOS and you dock on Sunday, the festival is pretty much winding down on Sunday so it may not be as bad or crazy as it will be for those on Summit or Jewel that dock on Saturday.

We loved this festival 2 years ago and were able to walk over from the Valor. This time we are on the Summit. We want to drop our luggage and catch a taxi over to OSJ. Where is a good place to get out of the taxi? We are able to walk but don't want to walk from that pier. Thanks