In Nassau, is it safe to walk on the main streets at night?

tankwastheworldsbestdog

I've read about so much crime lately, our ship doesn't even arrive in Nassau until noon, and departs at midnight. I would like to walk downtown, see some shops, and maybe have dinner but am nervous about prior things I've read about tourists being robbed (while inside taxi's), and too many people getting their purses stolen on the streets. I'm going in January, any insight would be appreciated (and I know to never wander off of the main streets from having been there six times on prior cruises). Thank you!

I've read about so much crime lately, our ship doesn't even arrive in Nassau until noon, and departs at midnight. I would like to walk downtown, see some shops, and maybe have dinner but am nervous about prior things I've read about tourists being robbed (while inside taxi's), and too many people getting their purses stolen on the streets. I'm going in January, any insight would be appreciated (and I know to never wander off of the main streets from having been there six times on prior cruises). Thank you!

Sorry< these day I wouldn't recommend it. The wharf, from Senor Frogs to the pier I the only place that is protected by police. Crime is at its worse these days.\ Shops are closed after 6.

Sorry< these day I wouldn't recommend it. The wharf, from Senor Frogs to the pier I the only place that is protected by police. Crime is at its worse these days.\ Shops are closed after 6.

Thanks Scubagirrl! Your help is always greatly appreciated.

NOTE TO ALL: Scubagirrl lives there and has been very helpful over the years to all of us at CC with our questions on Nassau. Any information she gives is quite accurate.

When we were at Senor Frog's after dark, we waited to leave with a group of others heading back to the ship. There were police stationed all along the way.

LuLu

~~~~