Insurance through carnival

bartleby112

Planning to book a cruise for next November. I will book through carnival. I wasn't to get insurance that would allow us to cancel in the event that my wife gets pregnant. We aren't trying but you never know. Just saw a thread about someone who cancelled for this reason. Don't want to end up in their shoes.

Just wanted to know if I should buy insurance through carnival or third party.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Planning to book a cruise for next November. I will book through carnival. I wasn't to get insurance that would allow us to cancel in the event that my wife gets pregnant. We aren't trying but you never know. Just saw a thread about someone who cancelled for this reason. Don't want to end up in their shoes.

Most people go through third party rather than cruiseline.

I am the one that posted about my DIL and why we had to cancel her because she was 3 days over 25 weeks. Rule is you have to be under 25 weeks on the day you debarked the ship. If you get the cruise insurance you would be out of luck, because, in our case she is having a healthy pregnancy, so therefore not covered under Carnival or third party, even if her Dr. Said she is safe to go Carnival will not allow her. Some may take a chance and fudge the date especially since she misses the cruise only by 3days, but none of us would ever forgive ourselves if something happened to her or the baby. We figure the rule is in place for a reason, so not worth fudging!

We had gotten 3rd party insurance and if I had it to do over again, I would suggest getting what they call, (cancel for any reason) ADDED to the policy. Insurance rep, was very sympathetic, and told me if she has any problems with her pregnancy between now and the sailing, then she would be covered, but Carnival policy, being the reason is not covered. I told them I don't care then I would not wish ANY THING to go wrong just to meet the claim guidelines. Oh, and another thing I was told that even if she had cancel for any reason, and she was again having a healthy pregnancy, then only a percentage of her fare would of been reimbursed.

So, if you want to book far in advance, then it would be smart to ask when purchasing insurance the what if scenarios to make sure you have the coverage for her and yourself if a pregnancy occurs. It will not stop us from booking another cruise in advance, but I would just make sure you get the additional coverage.

Is the cruise insurance the same thing as the Vaction Protection? If so, I just posted about this too. Sorry... :o

Yes. It's more expensive through Carnival. Insuremytrip is one place you can compare plans. It can cover travel issues, luggage issues, medical and especially med evacuation in case of a severe medical emergency.

There are differences per policy. Most DO NOT cover cancel for ANY reason. If you buy it within 48 hours of booking, most requirements can be met. Read over the fine print.

Do not buy trip insurance through Carnival Cruise Lines. Always more expensive for less coverage when buying through the cruise line. I have bought trip insurance through a third-party a number of times. More coverage less money. Go to TheTripInsuranceStore.com. I have bought insurance through them four times highly recommend.

JKrise

when picking a policy for travel insurance look at what is covered. being pregnant will not be covered by most travel insurance policy's. this is not considered a medical emergency. if you are worried about cancelling the cruise due to be pregnant you will probably have to pick a cancel for any reason policy. even then i would specifically ask if being pregnant will qualify for a refund. my wife and i found this out the hard way. had a land based vacation paid for and also bought travel insurance. had to cancel due to my wife being pregnant and the trip was close to the due date. had letters from the doctor stating she could travel during that time frame. we were shocked when they denied our claim we just assumed that it would be covered and it was not.

Do not buy trip insurance through Carnival Cruise Lines. Always more expensive for less coverage when buying through the cruise line. I have bought trip insurance through a third-party a number of times. More coverage less money. Go to TheTripInsuranceStore.com. I have bought insurance through them four times highly recommend.

JKrise

Ugh.. I bought Carnival Cruise insurance last week with our cruise. wondering if I can still cancel it and buy third party. Anyone know?

Ugh.. I bought Carnival Cruise insurance last week with our cruise. wondering if I can still cancel it and buy third party. Anyone know?

I believe you can add or remove the Carnival insurance any time up to final payment.

But...remember if you are insuring for a previous medical condition - even the third party carriers only cover from the time you book the insurance. Nothing preexisting - unless the policy is booked with in a few days of the initial trip deposit.

Edited by happy cruzin

You can probably cancel your insurance tomorrow as long as you're not after final payment.

We buy insurance with the cancel for ANY reason option which allows us to cancel up to 2 days before the trip start date and receive a 75% cash refund. Even cancelling because of a healthy pregnancy would be covered with that option.