Coast Guard medevacs woman from cruise ship Grandeur of the Seas

Just off the Grandeur yesterday morning. Along with much of the port side cabins we we're awakened by the Coast Guard Helicopter hovering alongside during the process. At the Captain's corner the next morning the captain was asked for some information and he advised that when the decision was made that the patient needed immediate medical assistance, they diverted course and went to full speed to the fastest point at which the helicopter could meet the ship. When the ship reached that point it stopped and turned 180 degrees to be facing the optimal position. There was a Coast Guard plane that flew over first and then circled us during the process. They sent down a rescue diver first, then the basket. Once the patient was ready, the nurse went up first in order to be with the patient all the way to the hospital. Then the patient was pulled up, followed by the rescue diver. The captain advised that the whole process took 23 minutes.

Ironically, one of our tablemates at dinner just the night before had asked if any of us buy travel insurance. All the others at the table said yes ... and we all agreed that the two main reasons were cancellation coverage and medical evacuation. We had him convinced even before we left the table that night. But this certainly underscored the importance.

I think of the patient often and hope that she will make a full recovery.

I witnessed a similar operation on a Celebrity cruise (don't remember which ship). I was sleeping with the balcony door open (cuz I love to hear the sound of the water) and all of a sudden I was woken up by the sound of a helicopter overhead. I walked over to the balcony to make sure the chopper was friend and not foe. It then proceeded towards the bow of the ship which was out of my sight. I then thought of the bow camera and turned the tv on to that channel and witnessed the entire operation. It was a long time ago but I think someone in the helicopter was lowered down to the ship. It was fascinating and reassuring that they can perform these medevacs. So folks, make sure you buy your travel insurance because that is one of the most costly things you might experience, God forbid, on a cruise. This is the main reason I take insurance (with a pre-existing condition waiver too). Losing the cost of the cruise or some lost luggage isn't nearly as horrible as facing a medevac bill. It happened to a tablemate's father on a cruise and he didn't take insurance.

This photo was taken as we were leaving St. Maarten a few weeks ago when we were on the Jewel. The passenger was being taken off of the Grandeur. What is going on, on that ship?

I don't think it's the ship. I think it's Baltimore. When Enchantment did the cruises out of there a woman on my cruise had a nasty accident disembarking. After all, it is Baltimore. Actually I love that town. I ate myself sick there. Best damn seafood ever at Mama's on the Half Shell: http://www.mamasmd.com/MamasSite/

I was noticing a few comments about having trip insurance for medical evacuations. First thing I am a firm believer in having the insurance and purchase it for every cruise. The coverage for medical evacuation is invaluable if you are evacuated by a private air ambulance service or ground ambulance when travelling out of the country. The USCG to my knowledge does not bill you for rescuing or evacuating you from a cruise ship. Just thought some folks might like to know that. :)

I will never travel without insurance, friends dad had to be medivaced on an Alaska cruise out of Seattle, they charged the AMEX $25k before the helicopter would leave ground, and he spent 2 months in the hospital in Seattle before being able to come home. They were taking a Northbound sailing with a week tour after, they ended up losing their business and filing medical bankruptcy to get through it. NOT WORTH IT, the insurance would have been $400 for the two of them for their trip.

We were in the dining room when she became ill. The "Alpha" call was immediate and crew ran to her immediately. We were on the other side of the room so we aren't aware of the nature of the emergency. Our prayers go out to her and her family.

I was on the ship at the same time. I'm not so sure the two incidents are related. I overheard from a RC employee that the lady in the dining room was choking on something and was foaming at the mouth. The captain later said the evacuated patient had internal bleeding.