Disappointed by Grandeur's service to vegetarians

etoile

It amuses me how vegetarians complain, especially the ones that have no medical reason to avoid meat. Imagine if I demanded because of my allergy vegetables be segregated or hidden the way they expect meat to be? It'd be comical.

I don't understand why this thread has become a posting board for mocking vegetarians. I agree that those who demand that meat be hidden from their sight in a public place are rude and, shall we say, out of touch with reality, but to lump all vegans and vegetarians in with that inconsiderate group is unfair and also out of touch with reality!

Personally, I think vegans are the easiest people to feed- I tell my hosts (whether at a home, restaurant, or on a shore excursion) that I am perfectly happy with some fresh vegetables and/or fruit, and if they feel a need to be fancy I'd be thrilled with some rice. But, when you are on a cruise for several days or longer you really would like to have more of a variety to eat (and I've found that my table mates prefer to see me eating some cooked food, too)- what's wrong with asking that our diet be met?

As to not having a medical reason to avoid meat- why is it anyone's business why a person adopts a certain diet? Who is to say if moral or religious reasons are less valid reasons to adopt a diet than medical reasons?

I think Rachel Carson summed it up best:

"We cannot have peace among men whose hearts delight in killing any living creature. By every act that glorifies or even tolerates such delight in killing, we set back the progress of humanity."

I don't understand why this thread has become a posting board for mocking vegetarians.

My has this discussion gone off the rails. Next stop loony bin!:rolleyes:

Thank you for making my case :rolleyes:

it is exploitative to take the honey from bees, or the milk from cows or the wool from sheep. It is even more so to kill animals to eat their meat or use their skin for leather.

famine could be all but eradicated with the universal adoption of vegetarianism.

Thanks for making my point

I was sitting here wondering why you are being so belligerent, so I took a look at some your other posts- and saw that's pretty much the way you always post.

Feeling sorry for you.....and wishing you well.

Ruth

Feel sorry for me? lol. Save that pity for your bees and cows giving milk. Got to go now the grill is ready for a nice thick steak!

I personally did not notice a lack of vegetarian dishes, but then I'm not vegetarian. I actually have to eat red meat because I will become severely anemic if I don't. And iron pills make me severely sick.

I think that being prepared for whatever your dietary restrictions are is key. I personally don't eat a lot of wheat (I find I get severely bloated and ill feeling). So I didn't eat the sandwiches, pancakes, waffles, breads, etc. I did eat the gravies since they don't seem to effect me (less wheat than a piece of bread).

I think, regardless of what your dietary requirements are, you just need to be proactive.

btw

Q: Can Specialty Restaurants accommodate special dietary requirements?

A: We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

Please talk to the maitre d'- both in the MDR and Windjammer!!! Even if you did not notify RCI in advance, or talk to the maitre d' when you boarded, they will work with you to make sure you have a variety of foods to eat!

Also, see my earlier post on this thread (post #60) for suggestions on how to get the food you want and need.

I'm doing a 23 day b2b on Explorer next fall and there is no way I'd be satisfied with only fruit all that time :eek:

(And if worse comes to worse and if you have the chance, check out the website

http://www.happycow.net for lists of restaurants and stores where you'll be able to shop and dine in each port.)

HTH- and hope you get some satisfaction (and satiety)!

Ruth

By choice we eat primarily in the windjammer. We have talked to the person who I assume is in charge - at least he's the person the wait staff got for me on the first cruise. He said he wasn't sure what he could do he would have to talk to the kitchen and nothing has changed. First time got him saying some of the sauce was vegetarian then when he checked (it was one of the few items labeled) the symbol was that of gluten free not vegetarian. We found last night the fruit soup had rum in it. He hasn't been able to get anything changed. Given we don't drink this made what might have been a good choice inedible for us. Why the need to alter fruit items so? Giovonis at least was able to go someplace and get marinara or alfredo sauce. Only place that was willing to make an accommodation.

As for making you sick, I would have normally said no but my mom was having some gastrointestinal issues (after unknowingly having eaten a cheeseburger rather than vegiburger) her gastroenterologist said that if you are a long term (I assume years long) vegetarian that eating meat can upset your system with unpleasant side effects.

While not crazy about the sight of meat neither my mom or I are asking that it not be visible, just properly labeled so that we know what is a meat dish and what isn't.

The service trickles down from management to staff, unfortunately.

Edited by pjlee3333