Cruise and Stay - Majorca Hotel Recommendations please

DH has just been looking at cruise and stay for Summer 2014 and has picked out the Dream with home port of Palma. As it is 28 years since we have been to Majorca I would appreciate any recommendations for the hotel stay......but quick please before he changes his mind!! Lol. He seems very keen on Treasures of the Med. itinerary

He did mention Alcudia but not the hotel but I think he would be attracted by AI. :rolleyes:

DH has just been looking at cruise and stay for Summer 2014 and has picked out the Dream with home port of Palma. As it is 28 years since we have been to Majorca I would appreciate any recommendations for the hotel stay......but quick please before he changes his mind!! Lol. He seems very keen on Treasures of the Med. itinerary

He did mention Alcudia but not the hotel but I think he would be attracted by AI. :rolleyes:

Hotel Santa Lucia in palma-nova highly recommend was in hotel this hotel this year they do ai as well as half board just check Thomsons hotels in palma nova .

It's on beach front location it's central in palma-nova nice hotel nice rooms gaureented sea veiw we will be going back to this hotel shortly. Keith

Hi, when we did our cruise and stay, a lot of guests got off at the Platja D'or, Alcudia, and the people we spoke to we're returning guests and loved it. We stayed at the Son Baulo, C'an Picafort, for position you couldn't wish for better. Again lots of returning guests.

Happy booking whichever you choose!

Suzy

We stayed at the Platja d'Or in Alcudia in 2010 after a week on the Dream. Very nice - it had just been done up, which was nice as it was when Thomson had only just taken over the Dream and it was not very good :rolleyes:

They had a sort of theatre too, for evening entertainment :)

Happy Birthday Jackie :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It's not an easy decision to make. I posted the same on FB and lots of suggestions on there too. :eek::)

Thank you Linda for birthday wishes. It's tomorrow but I am going to celebrate it on Dream in Caribbean in February. :)

Would recommend the adults only Son Matias Beach Hotel a short hop, skip and a jump from the Santa Lucia.Again beach location,great views,all balconies look out over the bay,excellent food and great entertainment.No AI though

Hi, we have stayed at the son matias a couple of times,very,very good, beach views from most of the rooms, smashing food and entertainment, there were a couple of English staff there as well .still get xmas cards from them even now.Roy.

Would recommend the adults only Son Matias Beach Hotel a short hop, skip and a jump from the Santa Lucia.Again beach location,great views,all balconies look out over the bay,excellent food and great entertainment.No AI though

I think we will go for the Son Matias....it's got lots of recommendations on FB too. It's near Palma so if we have any energy left after the cruise we will be well placed for some more sight seeing!

Hi, we have stayed at the son matias a couple of times,very,very good, beach views from most of the rooms, smashing food and entertainment, there were a couple of English staff there as well .still get xmas cards from them even now.Roy.

I think were up to 5 stays at the Son Matias now.Like you roy receive a xmas card and we also receive birthday cards also :p

I think we will go for the Son Matias....it's got lots of recommendations on FB too. It's near Palma so if we have any energy left after the cruise we will be well placed for some more sight seeing!

Jakanne

I`m sure you wont be disappointed,its expensive but worth it IMO.Highly recommended on trip advisor,its number 1 hotel in Palma Nova.A number of good bars around the hotel and a short walk along the promenade to the centre of Palma Nova and an even shorter walk to Magaluf

Bus stop right outside the hotel for Palma sight seeing or alternatively if your still up for it after your cruise theres a boat runs from Palma Nova/Magaluf to Palma which drops you off a short way from the Cathedral.You`ll be able to see where the boat leaves from your balcony

Edited by Jim The Scot

Happy Birthday Jak,:)

Thank you happy v.

My birthday present to me was a cruise.....Treasures of the Med followed by Son Matias Beach for one week. All confirmed this morning including pre-booked cabin on Dream. It's only about 5 cabins along from the one we have in February. It's not until September so plenty of time to research Ports of Call. They are all new for us both (taking DH this time) except Rome where we spent 4 days about 4 years ago so probably will give Rome a miss.

Thanks to all who helped me choose a hotel. I really did not know where to start as I have not been to Majorca for 28 years. When I told TA which hotel I had chosen she said it was an excellent choice. :):)

Thank you happy v.

My birthday present to me was a cruise.....Treasures of the Med followed by Son Matias Beach for one week. All confirmed this morning including pre-booked cabin on Dream. It's only about 5 cabins along from the one we have in February. It's not until September so plenty of time to research Ports of Call. They are all new for us both (taking DH this time) except Rome where we spent 4 days about 4 years ago so probably will give Rome a miss.

Thanks to all who helped me choose a hotel. I really did not know where to start as I have not been to Majorca for 28 years. When I told TA which hotel I had chosen she said it was an excellent choice. :):)

Well, you may have come to the party late,:) but you're certainly trying to make up for it.;):D

It's nice to have things to look forward to at this time of the year isn't it?

Well, you may have come to the party late,:) but you're certainly trying to make up for it.;):D

It's nice to have things to look forward to at this time of the year isn't it?

Haha V. You know me...DH likes to go away in September now we don't have to stick to school holidays and when he picked out this cruise I had to book it before he changed his mind. That's why I am so grateful to people on here for their prompt hotel advice.

Only 8 weeks to go to Caribbean Dream and then I'll be dreaming of Mediterranean Dream. :)

If Palma Nova then I agree the Son Matias Beach.

There are a couple of decent Gold hotels also - one in Cala D'Or and one in Cala Mayor too if you want to go East coast

Thank you. We have booked into the Son Matias Beach hotel. I'm sure we will enjoy it as we will have a good rest after the cruise and then have Palma close at hand to discover. :)

Hi there

You made the right choice- I've been to the Son Matias twice- great each time.Restaurant has had a cool makeover.Rooms are superb with kettle etc! Cuppa on the balcony first thing in the morning overlooking that clear blue sea...

The shows in the hotel in the evening were surprisingly good.I don't think you will be disappointed.

Flopsy

Hi there

You made the right choice- I've been to the Son Matias twice- great each time.Restaurant has had a cool makeover.Rooms are superb with kettle etc! Cuppa on the balcony first thing in the morning overlooking that clear blue sea...

The shows in the hotel in the evening were surprisingly good.I don't think you will be disappointed.

Flopsy

Thank you, Flopsy. That is very reassuring to hear from you. I've not read a bad word except for the sun bed scramble!

We did a Cruise and Stay in Majorca October/November 2013 but, rather than booking the package with Thomson, arranged our own accommodation for when we left the Dream.

Can VERY highly recommend the Luabay Marivent at Cala Mayor. Only a 7 minute/10 Euro taxi ride from the cruise terminal and a first class hotel (we lived on the island for 10 years and have stayed at many Majorcan hotels since we left including the Son Mattias and far preferred this hotel).

Just thought this info may be of interest to some people so hope it helps.

Edited by campolady

I'm going to sound a right bah humbug here, but I'd rather say than not.

We stayed in Son Matias Beach in August 2011. It was week 2 of our holiday, the first week being on the Dream. Nothing could match the first week of the holiday but overall SMB is very good - I'm not completely averse to ever returning.

However, the week we were there was strange in some respects as all the other guests talked about was how many times they'd stayed there. In the restaurant, in the lifts, pool area - it's all we heard. It just kinda got to us a bit.

We also found that some staff could act odd. Eg we went for dinner one evening and no staff were on the door. We waited and were seem by several staff collecting plates or serving drinks and no-one came over so we just went in. The maitre'd later appeared and sajd we'd need to go to the door with him so he could register our cards (validate our entitlement to din dins). We did so. One of our party found this rude and embarrassing. I wasn't embarrassed aa such - more confused why the maitre'd couldn't have just taken lur cards and came back with them.

Again though, everything else was generally fine. Good entertainment, nice rooms with a great view, edible food. Enjoy!