Gift cards

nanners

Has anyone used the Visa/MasterCard gift cards on the islands? I would guess you could use them just like a credit card, but I want to make sure before I take any.

Thanks for any information, Nanners

I would surely have regular cards as backup in case they have trouble taking them. We just try to use ours at the grocery store.

I have used them, but every once in a while a vendor would have problems authorizing it. If they authorize via computer it seems to work.

My bank (TD Bank) does not charge at all for gift cards, and they don't charge a foreign transaction fee. I try to bring them to use just in case something funky happens, and if it does it doesn't mess up my bank account or "regular" credit card.

Delawarealan

You want to make sure a VISA gift card doesn't read "Valid only in the United States" on the front.

From VISA FAQ's:

Can I use my Visa Gift card outside of the United States?

If your gift card states Valid only in the United States on the front, your issuer has issued a Domestic Use Only card. Although your gift card will not be accepted at locations outside of the United States, it's welcome at millions of locations within the U.S. where Visa Debit cards are accepted.