Carnival Imagination and Carnival Sunshine - My Back-to-Back Photo Review

wrigley80

One place that we wanted to go to on Bourbon Street was to the Tropical Isle for a Hand Grenade. There are 4 Tropical Isle locations along Bourbon Street to choose from. We went to the one at 700 Bourbon Street. We were told that a trip to New Orleans isn't complete until you drink a Hand Grenade....or 2....or 3

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013180_zpsaa82ca79.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013181_zps541206cf.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013183_zps866fb247.jpg

My dad with Mr. Hand Grenade

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013184_zpsdfb391c2.jpg

Beads anyone??? Of course I had to get my first my first string of beads but I'm not telling how I got them ;)

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013185_zpse53c7dc3.jpg

Hi Wrigley, so glad to see your fabulous review. Feb. 2013 we sailed on the Ecstasy to the Bahamas. Had a grand time. We will be on the Emerald Princess for a 10 day to Eastern Caribbean. Hope you and family are OK this winter. Thanks for being a friend. Oh, yes, are you really a travel agent?

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013186_zps4d0865b4.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013187_zps2cc67ec1.jpg

Classy....Tell me who wouldn't want a Hand Grenade Flavored Condom. You probably wouldn't wanna know how many they actually sell :p

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013188_zpsf2a1e262.jpg

Dad and I with our hand grenades. They taste like a cross between a watermelon daiquiri and melon. We ordered frozen but they are also offered on the rocks

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2429_zps65b79e00.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013190_zps576e26c5.jpg

You know you're in a classy place when they sell chewable toothbrushes. Love This!!!!!!

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013193_zpsa30a90c7.jpg

Now its my time with Mr. Hand Grenade. Let me tell you the hand grenade drinks taste really good going down but you don't realize how they will hit ya. They are strong

After we left Tropical Isle we drove up Canal Street and we went to the Metairie Cemetery. I'm not a fan of cemeteries but I was told we have to see one while we are there

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2408_zps9954533e.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013208_zpsbb69db5e.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013207_zpsc1f416fb.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013205_zps670c20ea.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013213_zps60a0d7df.jpg

Now some of these tombs and mausoleums were old but some were quite recent like only a month prior.

After we left the cemetery we drove back down Canal Street

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013198_zps3e7b3d50.jpg

Canal St Streetcar. My dad and I had never rode a streetcar but we weren't sure how the schedules worked so we were gonna wait to ride the streetcar after the cruise when we had an extra day in The Big Easy

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013220_zps9f8bbce4.jpg

Notice the Billboard

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013221_zpsf762697e.jpg

Gotta love convenience marts called the Voodoo Mart

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013199_zps4e3daf1e.jpg

How would ya like to carry this thing around New Orleans??

Edited by wrigley80

Now my dad and I have been to a lot of different cities and countries on cruises and other vacations but we had never been to New Orleans so we weren't sure what to expect on Bourbon Street. You hear the horror stories of people peeing in the street and crazies in costume. Now we didn't see anyone peeing in the street but we definitely saw our fair share of crazies :p

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013227_zps8c5b3d6d.jpg

Bourbon Street Crazy #1.....this guy was laying in the gutter. He was looking for weed, beer, or drugs. We had to circle around the block 3 times just to make sure that our eyes weren't playing tricks on us

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013229_zps8d7cf28f.jpg

These guys were really good. They were playing in front of the Four Points hotel on Bourbon

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013232_zps35177f45.jpg

This guy was doing juggling with two 2x4 pieces of wood while standing on this odd ladder

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013233_zps9986b003.jpg

This was naughty Santa.......haha

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013222_zpsc2065b2a.jpg

I know what you have to do to get those BEADS!!!!! You will see anything and everything in New Orleans, It is hard to keep your mouth from hanging open at some of them. Enjoying your review and congrats on the new job:)

I didn't do what you think I did.....I bought them for $2.00.....haha :p :D

Thank You. I hope you continue to enjoy my review.

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2405_zpsc04242d2.jpg

Joan of Arc statue in Jackson Square

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2423_zps723a1886.jpg

I just couldn't get enough pictures of the streetcars. I thought they were so cool

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013238_zpsb70e0edd.jpg

Christmas Tree in Jackson Square

By now we were starting to get tired. We have had a llllooooonnnggggg day. Having gotten up at 4:30 am to be on the road by 5:00 am. It was now 5:30 pm and we wanted to get out of the city before it got too crazy. We made one more pass down Decatur Street because I wanted to go to Margaritaville and I knew they wouldn't be open early enough tomorrow (the morning of the cruise) so I wanted to go tonight to get a t-shirt or two. Margaritaville is down by the French Market. I never thought we would find a parking spot but we circled around the French Market twice and right as we were pulling around the corner a car pulled out. We were parked right at Margaritaville. I just wanted to go to the shop. I didn't want a drink so I knew we wouldn't be gone long

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2411_zpsb8b7e4ee.jpg

I was surprised when we got to the door that they closed at 6:00 pm. We had just made it.

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2410_zpsd2a12ef7.jpg

As we were walking around the store I noticed a few signs hanging on racks that said everything in the store was 40% off. I was shocked at this because Margaritaville clothes are never on sale. I asked the store employee why things were so cheap and she said that the store was closing. WHAT???? You mean a Margaritaville isn't making enough money. The store would be closing on December 31st but the bar/restaurant would remain open. Apparently Jimmy Buffett wasn't making enough money from this location

We bought like 12 shirts and a few other odds and ends at Margaritaville. We headed back to the car and made one more trip down Bourbon Street before we were going to head back to our hotel in Metairie for the night

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013241_zpsbdb7ef33.jpg

Pat O'Brien's....home of the Hurricane

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-December1-162013242_zpsfbb9a0fa.jpg

Anybody need a Lucky Dog??? I loved these little wiener carts. There were a few of them around the city.

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2412_zps220a46db.jpg

Edited by wrigley80

We headed back to our hotel room around 7:00 pm. We grabbed some dinner and took it back to the hotel. We watched some college football on TV. My dad was sleeping by 9:00 pm and I wasn't too far behind him.

The day had finally arrived that we had been waiting for. Our cruise on the Carnival Sunshine was about to begin. We were up by 8:00 am and we were both well rested. I rarely ever sleep the night before because I'm too excited but on this night I had no trouble with sleep. We got showered, dressed, packed up the room and then headed down for breakfast in the hotel.

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2414_zpsdc54b756.jpg

Breakfast area with the cold items and waffle maker

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2415_zpsad72e87a.jpg

My dad is ready for the cruise. Our roll call ordered shirts to wear at the meet and greet. We called ourselves the "Krewe of Sunshine Kruiers"

We had an amazing roll call with wonderful people. More on that later......

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2417_zps2b9f0e94.jpg

Lobby area in the hotel

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2418_zpsd08a9885.jpg

Hey look my dad is talking to a new friend again. One of the biggest reasons why he loves cruising is all the new people that you meet and talk to

Once we had breakfast. We headed back to our room to pack things up and made sure we had everything and then we checked out. We were leaving the hotel by 9:00 am

Once we got down to New Orleans we wanted to drive down by the port to see if I could get any pictures of the ship before we took our rental car back. WHOA was that a mistake. There was a big Doctor's convention going on. Anyone who has cruised out of New Orleans know that the Convention Center is right by the port. This made traffic a nightmare at the port.

We got as far as Mardi Gras World and then instead of turning left to go towards the port we turned right and headed back towards downtown to return the rental car to Budget on Canal Street

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2421_zps2a9ba9a7.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2422_zps3b698915.jpg

Mardi Gras World is where they store all the floats from Mardi Gras parades

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2419_zpsc2cba931.jpg

Well there you have it.....Part 2 - pre-cruise day in New Orleans is complete. Next up is the Carnival Sunshine......are you ready???? :)

We headed back to our hotel room around 7:00 pm. We grabbed some dinner and took it back to the hotel. We watched some college football on TV. My dad was sleeping by 9:00 pm and I wasn't too far behind him.

The day had finally arrived that we had been waiting for. Our cruise on the Carnival Sunshine was about to begin. We were up by 8:00 am and we were both well rested. I rarely ever sleep the night before because I'm too excited but on this night I had no trouble with sleep. We got showered, dressed, packed up the room and then headed down for breakfast in the hotel.

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2414_zpsdc54b756.jpg

Breakfast area with the cold items and waffle maker

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2415_zpsad72e87a.jpg

My dad is ready for the cruise. Our roll call ordered shirts to wear at the meet and greet. We called ourselves the "Krewe of Sunshine Kruiers"

We had an amazing roll call with wonderful people. More on that later......

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2417_zps2b9f0e94.jpg

Lobby area in the hotel

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2418_zpsd08a9885.jpg

Hey look my dad is talking to a new friend again. One of the biggest reasons why he loves cruising is all the new people that you meet and talk to

Once we had breakfast. We headed back to our room to pack things up and made sure we had everything and then we checked out. We were leaving the hotel by 9:00 am

My mom is the same way. We can't walk a complete block without her stopping to say hello to someone. It's keeps her happy...

Once we got down to New Orleans we wanted to drive down by the port to see if I could get any pictures of the ship before we took our rental car back. WHOA was that a mistake. There was a big Doctor's convention going on. Anyone who has cruised out of New Orleans know that the Convention Center is right by the port. This made traffic a nightmare at the port.

We got as far as Mardi Gras World and then instead of turning left to go towards the port we turned right and headed back towards downtown to return the rental car to Budget on Canal Street

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2421_zps2a9ba9a7.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2422_zps3b698915.jpg

Mardi Gras World is where they store all the floats from Mardi Gras parades

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2419_zpsc2cba931.jpg

Well there you have it.....Part 2 - pre-cruise day in New Orleans is complete. Next up is the Carnival Sunshine......are you ready???? :)

How did you add pictures with your post? When I try I get these tiny pictures. I've been trying for like forever and it never works. I'm cruisecritic challenged LOL

Well I'm all caught up with your Imagination review! I swam with the manatees at Chankanaab Park on my Fantasy cruise back in 2010. It was brand new back then and had only been around for maybe 2-3 months. I had a blast! Your pictures have got me wanting to do it again. My next cruise goes to Cozumel so maybe I will then. ;) Also the pictures cd was only $40 back then. I didn't buy it though because they let me bring my camera and I had a TON of pictures on my own. I can't believe it's $118 for the cd now! Good lord! :eek: That story about your dad getting lost in the elevator had me cracking up lol. Oh, and I hope you get to move to Key West one day. :)

Ok, I'm ready for the Sunshine review! :D

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2431_zps47d18530.jpg

We're onboard and our first stop was to the Red Frog Pub for a Pomegranate Lemonade....oh sooooo yummy

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2432_zps40a61a4b.jpg

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2433_zps22f73151.jpg

Next Stop is to Guys Burgers for the first of many burgers for the week. Anyone who says that Guys Burgers aren't any good are crazy.....they are delicious

CarnivalImaginationandCarnivalSunshine-Part2434_zpsedeef707.jpg

The towel station is right by the mid ship elevators

Exactly! The husband always asks me for things and is amazed I have them and thought to pack them

My husband does that, too! He'll say, I wish I had thought to bring...such and such. And I say, it's in your suitcase. He thinks I'm pretty good!