packing list

karen116

DD is leaving on 1/4 for a cruise. Looking for a list of things that she will need to pack aside from clothing~ I remember from our last cruise that a surge protector was a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all for your help.

There are a few vids on u tube that helped me years ago when I started cruising. But please do yourself a favor don't pack the kitchen sink they have launderette's where you can wash your own clothing!! Easy list meds aka advil motion sickness ect, sunglasses, sunscreen, CAMERA Xs2, personal hygiene products, clothing (a must is bathing suit and don't care how warm you think it is bring a long sleeve hoodie or light jacket for the night time strolls), power strip, bungee cord (if you have a balcony room), roll of duct tape (to repair damaged luggage), a watch, and money. They usually have sample stuff if you forget something such as tooth paste. sry if I have repeated what you already know or been told. MOST important always have fun!!!

• 3 months later...
Fireman 935, if you are still here, why the bungee cord? what do u use it for?

I assume the bungee cord is used like a clothes line?

Some people that have a balcony cabin like to use a bungee cord to keep the balcony door propped open so they can hear the ocean when they're in their cabin. It's not a good idea though. Keeping the balcony door propped open interferes with the room's thermostat, and if the humidity is high outside, it won't take long for it to feel humid in the room.

There are a few vids on u tube that helped me years ago when I started cruising. But please do yourself a favor don't pack the kitchen sink they have launderette's where you can wash your own clothing!! Easy list meds aka advil motion sickness ect, sunglasses, sunscreen, CAMERA Xs2, personal hygiene products, clothing (a must is bathing suit and don't care how warm you think it is bring a long sleeve hoodie or light jacket for the night time strolls), power strip, bungee cord (if you have a balcony room), roll of duct tape (to repair damaged luggage), a watch, and money. They usually have sample stuff if you forget something such as tooth paste. sry if I have repeated what you already know or been told. MOST important always have fun!!!

Actually many lines don't have a self-service laundry (even though we consider it a must) on their ships (Carnival, Princess, Cunard, and maybe a few others).

We've never have taken a power strip. It's been easy enough for us to take turns plugging in the few electronics we take (hubby's camera, his electric razor, my phone -- but only the night before a port as otherwise it's off). Never have taken duct tape nor over the door storage.

I would echo taking lots of sunscreen (even for Alaska), extra batteries/memory cards, medications as well as the OTC ones (costs an arm and leg in the ship's stores and they may have a limited variety; plus, if you need Sudafed in the middle of the night, forget it).

I try to keep my latest packing list on my computer or on a flash drive and then update it for the location/itinerary. If you google right (maybe on cruise packing lists), you're bound to find some, but hopefully separate lists by gender, age, itinerary, type of trip (active ziplining ones may differ from a totally beaching it type).

Look over all the lists and decide what is absolutely necessary.

Many insist that a pop-up clothes hamper is a necessity, we use a plastic bag.

For laundry rooms check the cruislines. I know that Royal Carribbean and Celebrity do not have laundrymats for guests.

All of the Carnival ships do, every Princess ship I've been on does but not every Holland America ship has one. Some ship provide special detergent and others allow pax to bring their own.

The ships with laundryrooms will have irons for pax use. Otherwise either steaming in the bathroom or pressing service are options.

No irons or steamers are allowed onboard as they are a fire hazard.