Millennium out of Vancouver to Alaska question

coordinator23

Last time we went to Alaska, we were able to by-pass Canadian customs because we were getting right on the cruise line bus to board the ship. It was a great time saver. Is this offered by Celebrity? (we were on Princess last time) We are seriously looking at Millennium (4 cabins; 4 couples/oldest couple 88 years old) and it would be great if we could go from plane to ship seamlessly.

Not sure if you mean from the Vancouver Airport or Seattle???

I did a 14 night Alaska Cruise (R/T Vancouver) on Diamond Princess in September. Flights were MUCH cheaper for me to Seattle, so I used the Princess bus transfer from SEATAC airport to the cruise terminal in Vancouver. It was $49pp which is much, MUCH, *M*U*C*H* more reasonable than any Celebrity transfer of similar time/distance.

We still had to do a cursory customs thing at the boarder, but it took 6-7 minutes for the bus load of 40 people.

Celebrity WILL take good care of your party on any transfer, but you WILL pay a PREMIUM PRICE for it.

Edited by teecee60

The US Direct program was discontinued several years ago. It was fantastic while it lasted. There was talk about reinstating it but as of the 2013 cruise season it was still not available,

When you plan your air to YVR do try to arrive at least a day in advance. There are not many flights from the lower 48 that will bring you in the day of departure without connections and/or anxiety unless your flights are direct and leave from the west coast or western hubs.

My wife and I sailed on the Millie last year to Alaska from Vancouver. The prior poster is mistaken. We used the US Direct program last year and it was fantastic. You are required to fly into Vancouver on the day of your cruise departure. You check in at a desk that is just beyond the walkway of the gates, prior to exiting security. They then take you downstairs to a special customs area where you then board busses that are sealed and take you directly to Canada place. It was quick, easy, and was extremely convenient. If you are coming in on the day of your cruise, I would highly recommend it. I figure we saved 2 hours easy, if not more. I would suggest that you take an early flight however with at least one later one that you could hop on if your flight is delayed. Here is a link to the info from the port of Vancouver. You make the arrangements through Celebrity.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/cruise_ship/cruise_ship_arrivals.aspx