Just back from Glory -"American Table" video

Manatee Mom

I don't go to Chili's or Outback. We don't have them within subway distance. But I do go to a lot of fine dining establishments in Washington, DC and tablecloths are becoming a thing of the past. I simply cannot understand all the forty-year-olds who say that a tablecloth will make or break their dining experience. It just makes the room feel like a wedding banquet.

Oh great, here we go again.

Now all the East coasters are going to post photos of some expensive and ugly tablecloth less restaurant in NYC, and scowl at we West coasters who say it looks like Chili's.

By the way, I am under 40 and believe wedding banquets are lovely.

Ugly dining venue=people dressing in whatever they want. Which in many cases includes yoga pants and even pjs.

Thank you OP for the video, can't wait to read your full review.

Edited by Lerin

Agree with your there. I think for those items that are served family style, they should provide one per family - especially with concerns about norovirus.

The only thing I can say about that is what's the difference in sharing with a couple people dipping out of one bowl and hundreds dipping off of a buffet. Sometimes it's how we think about it.

Oh great, here we go again.

Now all the East coasters are going to post photos of some expensive and ugly tablecloth less restaurant in NYC, and scowl at we West coasters who say it looks like Chili's.

By the way, I am under 40 and believe wedding banquets are lovely.

Ugly dining venue=people dressing in whatever they want. Which in many cases includes yoga pants and even pjs.

Thank you OP for the video, can't wait to read your full review.

You need to stop lumping all east coasters and west coasters together because you couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't mind family style with my family and friends but would be kind of weird with total strangers.

An iconic restaurant iin Savannah is Mrs. Wilkes, and it is definitely family style with a huge table of strangers....

That being said, the menu looked good to me but I could do without the vomit scene at the end.

The apparent lack of service is a bigger issue--no bread? In one sense family style cheapens the experience and in another the guest takes what they want, and how much, so hopefully less food wasted. Of course I would hate to be at the end of the line and get passed an empty bowl!

Now that I am typing this I can tell I would prefer a more traditional service...

I should add, that my DH, is thrilled that the dining, in his words, will be more laid back. Now he can wear his khaki shorts and not give a crap :D

khaki shorts was allowed anyways on non formal night

Edited by vols_159

We returned today from the Carnival Glory. Will add a more detailed review later but below is a link to some video my DH took showing some of what we experienced with the new "American Table" and "American Feast" test onboard this ship.

Three minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Judging by the comments, didn't seem like it was something you guys liked. Or did you? The brief views of the menu didn't look too bad. The clean up at the end....I probably would have skipped taping that. Totally gross.

It was put there for visual affects....

We returned today from the Carnival Glory. Will add a more detailed review later but below is a link to some video my DH took showing some of what we experienced with the new "American Table" and "American Feast" test onboard this ship.

Nice video. The vomit at the end was the "cherry on top":rolleyes:

I am not east or west coast. Just know I like having the table cloth as it help cut down the noise in the dinning room. Yes, it does make dinning in the MDR worth going for. With this I might as well just go to the buffet and cut down on the 2+ hours being reported.

Not on our own family dress code policy :)

Mine neither but I need the cruise line help. They have given my DH license to ME look bad:eek:

He is a sweats and T-shirt guy, he doesn't need any help maintaining his usual fashion statement or lack therefore of.

I refuse to tell him about NCL and casual dining.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Mine neither but I need the cruise line help. They have given my DH license to ME look bad:eek:

He is a sweats and T-shirt guy, he doesn't need any help maintaining his usual fashion statement or lack therefore of.

I refuse to tell him about NCL and casual dining.

LOL... same for my hubby!!!!!!

IMO, no table cloth changes the ambiance of the MDR. Don't you dress differently when going to, let's say, Chili's or Outback, as opposed to a restaurant with fine china and linens on the table???? I do :)

But the dress code is already similar to what you see in Chili's or Outback on Casual nights so aren't they just changing the atmosphere to match the dress code?

I should add, that my DH, is thrilled that the dining, in his words, will be more laid back. Now he can wear his khaki shorts and not give a crap :D

He could have worn his Khaki shorts before the dining room change and not give a crap as the dress code already allowed it....I know my guys did :D.

He could have worn his Khaki shorts before the dining room change and not give a crap as the dress code already allowed it....I know my guys did :D.

Oh trust me he knows that and he would not have cared... .however, if I am wearing a dress he picked, he is not wearing shorts :D

Here in SoCal, pretty much year round, Chili's is a casual restaurant.... flip flops, shorts, beach cover ups, etc.

LOL... same for my hubby!!!!!!

We are going to be the couple getting along all day and by dinner time at each others throat or simply not dining together. I have seen a few of those couples on formal night:eek: He is going to pull it was ok to dress-up when it was important to you, but now it's ok for me not to, you are acting like a beeeeeeetch. Before I consult a cruise divorce attorney, I am going to check the official dress code on Princess.

I am in Hemet, Happy New Year:D

Edited by Blk_Amish

We are going to be the couple getting along all day and by dinner time at each others throat or simply not dining together. I have seen a few of those couples on formal night:eek: He is going to pull it was ok to dress-up when it was important to you, but now it's ok for me not to, you are acting like a beeeeeeetch. Before I consult a cruise divorce attorney, I am going to check the official dress code on Princess.

I am in Hemet, Happy New Year:D

LOL... Happy New Year neighbor!!!