Review of the Jade (Western Med) 11/16-11/27

gbntmom

I thoroughly enjoyed your review of this cruise. Like many others, I will be on the April 12 sailing of this cruise and your review got me even more excited about it. I also enjoyed all of the photos you included. This will be my first time in Europe so your pictures provided a glimpse of what I have to look forward to. I'm buying a new camera specifically because of this cruise so I hope I get as many great pictures as you did. Thanks again for the review and enjoy the next one with your daughter!!!

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time! Sounds like your Roll Call is a pretty active one!

Thanks for the compliments, I sure do appreciate them :)

The great thing about a new camera is all the fun of learning it! I, too, had gotten a new one before this trip, as I did not want to carry my DSLR & lens around. I ended up with a Panasonic DMC-FZ200. I took TONS of pictures, hoping for some good ones. Overall, I was pleased, though I do still have a lot to learn using that camera.

Enjoy & happy travels!

Janet

Hello Lisa,

Janet emailed me and I thought I should reply. I hope I answered your questions. I tried to answer them to the best of my ability. I hope this helps. Good luck and Safe travels.

1. How dependable is the WI-FI on the Jade. We have a WI-FI only iPad. Is it slow like a lot of hotels' WI-FI? Do you know the mbps?

I thought the wifi on board was slow but manageable. My husband had to use the internet to do some work. We found that we had a better connection close to port then in the middle of the sea/ocean

2. Is it possible to use WI-FI on the Jade to upload pictures?

I personally didn't up load pictures but my husband did. We brought our laptop and uploaded our pictures from the camera and then he uploaded a few pictures on his phone to post onto fb/instigram. His phone had a international data plan.

3. How costly is the Jade's WI-FI?

Here is a link I found on the NCL Jade regarding the wifi prices. We purchased our wifi plan towards the end of the trip. Towards the end of the trip the prices tend to drop and we got an extra 15 for free, I believe.

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

4. If you didn't use the Jade's WI-FI, what did you use?

We used the jade wifi but sometimes when you go out and eat like at a cafe they provide free interenet. We actually found a cafe in Barcelona near the Sengrata (wrong spelling) that offered free internet for our device.

5. Besides trying to find a local McDonald's near the port, what other WI-FI options are there?

I am not sure if I saw internet cafes while we were on ports but if your at a local busiess that offer internet you are most likely have to purchase something. I know at the hotels my husband and I stayed at we had free internet.

6. I'm trying to determine what app to use to download my Tom's Port

I am not sure what the Tom's Port app is but if it is free the download it. If I were you I would write down or print out stuff as much as you can at each port if you are espically touring by yourself and not with a tour gudie. Janet she is what I call the ORganized Queen. She had a journal and printed out stuff she found interesteding and pasted into her journal. Next time when I get a chance to travel I plan on doing the same.

Janet:

I have so much enjoyed your detailed review. You did a great job and such a blessing to your father!!! Thank you for sharing with all of us!

My husband and I will be on the April 12 sailing of the Jade. If you have the time, please respond to the following questions:

1. How dependable is the WI-FI on the Jade. We have a WI-FI only iPad. Is it slow like a lot of hotels' WI-FI? Do you know the mbps?

5. Besides trying to find a local McDonald's near the port, what other WI-FI options are there?

6. I'm trying to determine what app to use to download my Tom's Port Guides and my schedules/info sheets. I need an app that is usable OFF-Line. I'm thinking about using EVERNOTE. Is there an app you would recommend over EVERNOTE?

7. Thanks again for your reviews and for taking the time to answer these questions.

Happy Travels!

Lisa:

Lisa -

How exciting - your trip is coming up soon! You must be thrilled!

I did not use wi-fi on board. I have emailed a friend who did use wif-fi on board, to try to get some info. I did find that on Day 1 & 2 they offered up to 20 free minutes when you purchased a plan. From what I heard people talking about, service was very slow.

I brought along 8 different memory cards for my camera (ranging from 2 to 32gb). I just switched them out after a day (or 2 or 3) and then downloaded them once I got home.

A lot of places in port offer free wi-fi (not just McDonald's). In fact, on both of the HOHO buses, wifi was available!

I downloaded my Tom's Port Guides, as well as email confirmations, onto my Kindle. That seemed to work well for me.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but if I find anything else out, I will come back & post!

Janet

Thanks Janet! Your review has helped so much! Happy Travels always!

Hello Lisa,

Janet emailed me and I thought I should reply. I hope I answered your questions. I tried to answer them to the best of my ability. I hope this helps. Good luck and Safe travels.

I thought the wifi on board was slow but manageable. My husband had to use the internet to do some work. We found that we had a better connection close to port then in the middle of the sea/ocean

I personally didn't up load pictures but my husband did. We brought our laptop and uploaded our pictures from the camera and then he uploaded a few pictures on his phone to post onto fb/instigram. His phone had a international data plan.

Here is a link I found on the NCL Jade regarding the wifi prices. We purchased our wifi plan towards the end of the trip. Towards the end of the trip the prices tend to drop and we got an extra 15 for free, I believe.

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

We used the jade wifi but sometimes when you go out and eat like at a cafe they provide free interenet. We actually found a cafe in Barcelona near the Sengrata (wrong spelling) that offered free internet for our device.

I am not sure if I saw internet cafes while we were on ports but if your at a local busiess that offer internet you are most likely have to purchase something. I know at the hotels my husband and I stayed at we had free internet.

6. I'm trying to determine what app to use to download my Tom's Port

I am not sure what the Tom's Port app is but if it is free the download it. If I were you I would write down or print out stuff as much as you can at each port if you are espically touring by yourself and not with a tour gudie. Janet she is what I call the ORganized Queen. She had a journal and printed out stuff she found interesteding and pasted into her journal. Next time when I get a chance to travel I plan on doing the same.

Thank you so much! Your information helps a lot. Happy travels always!

Janet, thanks so much for such a wonderful, comprehensive review! I know many on my roll call who have been following your every post with delight, and our April 12 sailing will be so much richer for your advice. I set up an informal Meet & Greet that first day (not that there was much to do). I am one of the super-organizer types like you and I set up private tours in Florence, Toulon, Barcelona, Valencia, Sardinia, Tunis and Palermo for people in my Roll Call. So, sail on, my friend, have a wonderful graduation cruise with your daughter, and I hope we have the pleasure of meeting in real life on some future cruise.

Janet, thanks so much for such a wonderful, comprehensive review! I know many on my roll call who have been following your every post with delight, and our April 12 sailing will be so much richer for your advice. I set up an informal Meet & Greet that first day (not that there was much to do). I am one of the super-organizer types like you and I set up private tours in Florence, Toulon, Barcelona, Valencia, Sardinia, Tunis and Palermo for people in my Roll Call. So, sail on, my friend, have a wonderful graduation cruise with your daughter, and I hope we have the pleasure of meeting in real life on some future cruise.

I am a year away but will you give us more info on these private tours you set up and how they went when you get back?

Thanks in advance:)

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time! Sounds like your Roll Call is a pretty active one!

Thanks for the compliments, I sure do appreciate them :)

The great thing about a new camera is all the fun of learning it! I, too, had gotten a new one before this trip, as I did not want to carry my DSLR & lens around. I ended up with a Panasonic DMC-FZ200. I took TONS of pictures, hoping for some good ones. Overall, I was pleased, though I do still have a lot to learn using that camera.

Enjoy & happy travels!

Janet

Great review with beautiful photos. I am starting to get excited about our journey on the Jade to the Med in April. It sure looks like you and your Dad enjoyed your travels. How nice for you both.

Catherine

Janet:

I have so much enjoyed your detailed review. You did a great job and such a blessing to your father!!! Thank you for sharing with all of us!

My husband and I will be on the April 12 sailing of the Jade. If you have the time, please respond to the following questions:

6. I'm trying to determine what app to use to download my Tom's Port Guides and my schedules/info sheets. I need an app that is usable OFF-Line. I'm thinking about using EVERNOTE. Is there an app you would recommend over EVERNOTE?

7. Thanks again for your reviews and for taking the time to answer these questions.

Happy Travels!

Lisa:

If I may - we were on the Jade last April for 10 days and never once used the ship's internet. Every port we visited had an internet cafe (or the likes) just before going back onto the ship. (If you have problems finding where to go, ask one of the ship's staff - they know of every wi-fi hotspot off the ship as they don't use the ships wifi either - too expensive) We had no problem connecting and usually it was free with the purchase of a drink or snack. The only thing that was cumbersome was returning from an intensive tour, going through the check-point back onto the ship only to have to go to our room, get the iPad and go back out. I never brought my iPad with me on the tours because it didn't take photos and I really didn't want to haul it around. Save for that, it was never a problem to connect, peruse emails and facetime family and friends back home. Hope that helps!

Have a great time!

Thank you Janet for the wonderful review. Your photo's of Pompeii were majestic! I thougth I might skip it this time as didn't think I really needed to go back there but after seeing your photo's I can't wait.

If you could please let me know what the temperatures were like, that would be most helpful. I realize it was raining for most of your trip - is this normal or was it an unsual amount of rain for that time of year? I noticed the tour guides you photographed were wearing rather heavy winter coats - is it that cold or is it just that cold for them? I live in Alberta, Canada and I can wear a light jacket in San Fran in December whereas the 'locals' are wearing down filled parkas and touques. Just want to be prepared but not have to bring any extra clothing that I won't need. And did people spend time in the pools or was it too cold? I've booked a balcony because we spend a lot of time out there but usually travel in the spring or early fall - hope we get to enjoy it - although I don't really care - I'll sit out there in my winter woolies if I have to - I'll be in the Med and not in a cold Alberta winter :D

Thanks in advance! Glad you had a great time with your father and I know you will have a fantastic trip with your daughter! Memories to last a lifetime for sure!!!

Thank you Janet for the wonderful review. Your photo's of Pompeii were majestic! I thougth I might skip it this time as didn't think I really needed to go back there but after seeing your photo's I can't wait.

If you could please let me know what the temperatures were like, that would be most helpful. I realize it was raining for most of your trip - is this normal or was it an unsual amount of rain for that time of year? I noticed the tour guides you photographed were wearing rather heavy winter coats - is it that cold or is it just that cold for them? I live in Alberta, Canada and I can wear a light jacket in San Fran in December whereas the 'locals' are wearing down filled parkas and touques. Just want to be prepared but not have to bring any extra clothing that I won't need. And did people spend time in the pools or was it too cold? I've booked a balcony because we spend a lot of time out there but usually travel in the spring or early fall - hope we get to enjoy it - although I don't really care - I'll sit out there in my winter woolies if I have to - I'll be in the Med and not in a cold Alberta winter :D

Thanks in advance! Glad you had a great time with your father and I know you will have a fantastic trip with your daughter! Memories to last a lifetime for sure!!!

Temperatures were in the 50s for the most part. Yes, I learned that November is the rainy time of year for the area. Also remember, that a cyclone hit Sardinia while we were cruising, so that may have accounted for some of the rain. I was comfortable in pants, a 3/4 sleeve or full sleeve top and a heavier cardigan over that. With that being said, I usually run hot (according to my husband if I had my way with the thermostat, we could hang meat in the house!) There was really only 1 day that I was chilly, and put on a warm, fuzzy top.

You Canadians are so funny. We had a family from Canada with us, and he wore shorts the entire trip. As he said, unless it's snowing, shorts are fine!

I think that it was cold by the locals standards - some of them even said as much.

There were people in the pools. I wasn't really on the ship during port days, so not too sure about then. Some of the evenings the pools were closed due to the sea conditions (It's rare to see whitecaps in the pools, but we did!) The hot tubs were often used.

Hope this helps! Your winter woolies will not be necessary, but a warmer sweater or light jacket could come in handy!

Janet

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your fantastic, detailed, enthusiastic and fun review of your Jade adventure. We are looking forward to our Jade cruise beginning on April 12. In your review you mentioned calling home. Did you use a sim card in your smartphone? We are looking into the best way to handle, since wifi on the ship won't permit Skype. We were on the Jade last year, so we know that. Last year we used email and google chat, but I wanted to see if we could make calls. Thanks, Regards, Carol

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your fantastic, detailed, enthusiastic and fun review of your Jade adventure. We are looking forward to our Jade cruise beginning on April 12. In your review you mentioned calling home. Did you use a sim card in your smartphone? We are looking into the best way to handle, since wifi on the ship won't permit Skype. We were on the Jade last year, so we know that. Last year we used email and google chat, but I wanted to see if we could make calls. Thanks, Regards, Carol

Like you, we will be using email and google chat but we also this week purchased a world phone. The basic phone was $19.95 with no monthly fees or initial cost other than the cost of the phone. We loaded $50 into the phone because the phone credit never expires. It comes with two phone numbers (one is US and the other is UK). While in Europe it will cost us $0.49 per minute to call out and free for incoming calls and texts. Our family in the US can call us for free and it will only cost us $0.29 per minute. All of this comes out of the dollars we loaded into the phone. My husband plans to use it while doing mission work in Costa Rica. The phone covers just about every country except Japan and South Korea. I got the idea from Jean (azgolfer) who is a golden fountain of great ideas. Just thought I would pass this on to you. We will see you on April 12th on the Jade. HAPPY TRAVELS!

Follow up to the phone question:

You can always purchase a local phone when you land in Rome. The reason we wanted this world phone is simply the number of countries it covers plus having two phone numbers (one US and one Europe). If we are traveling in Europe or Asia or if my husband is working in the mission field of Costa Rica or Africa, it will work for us. HAPPY TRAVELS!

Hi Janet,

Carol -

My cell phone service is through AT&T and before traveling, I checked out their international service plan for calls & texting. (I know, I'm one of the only people on the planet without a smart phone!) For a 1 month service, I had 30 minutes for $30 and had the option to upgrade (increase # of minutes) at anytime & just pay the difference between the plan I purchased and the new plan. I also got texting (200 texts for $30). All I had to do was remember to cancel those services when I got back.

From what I understand, many cell phone companies do have some type of international plan. I did not need to get a SIM card, as I do not have a smartphone.

Hope this helps! Happy travels!

Thanks, museumlover, for helping out here!

Janet

Edited by gbntmom

I was so happy to find your review I sent the link to my DH at work so he could read along. We have booked the December 23rd cruise which is pretty similar with a couple ports different. I am most worried about the weather BUT weather happens!!! We will probably book private tours and we are looking forward to our Roll Call getting more active as the year rolls on! THANKS for you review and photos. Donna

I was so happy to find your review I sent the link to my DH at work so he could read along. We have booked the December 23rd cruise which is pretty similar with a couple ports different. I am most worried about the weather BUT weather happens!!! We will probably book private tours and we are looking forward to our Roll Call getting more active as the year rolls on! THANKS for you review and photos. Donna

In 2012 we were over there in January and yes the weather was on the cold side,but it was great from a travelers perspective. It seemed everywhere we went, it was empty.For our pre-trip we spent 3 days in Rome and it even snowed a little but we did not wait in any lines.

Dress accordingly and you will have a great time all to yourself's:)

• 5 weeks later...
GBNTMOM, I am enjoying your review. my wife and I will be on the jade for the april 12 sailing. I am curious, you did a lot of touring after arriving, did you have a long flight to rome. I am also staying at the Hilton garden inn after the cruise and 2 days in rome before the cruise. keep posting, thanks

We will be on that sailing also

Hi lovely review - we are going on the Jade in July and are wondering whether to purchase the Drinks Package? Did you do the package? What sort of prices are the drinks please?

Thank you:)

Have a wonderful trip!

Regarding the drinks package - I am not a drinker, so I don't know anything about it. I looked back at my Dailies, and the only thing that I saw mentioned was on the first day and it was just a small blurb that directed you to ask any of the bar staff. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Janet

Hello Janet,

Thank you for the excellent review! My husband and I just booked this cruise for November and are on the same itinerary as yours.

It's been a long time since we've been on a NCL cruise, we mostly cruise Royal Caribbean and Princess and choose the traditional dining option. On this cruise it is anytime dining and I don't believe they offer a traditional dining option. I have a couple of questions. Are there any formal nights? and is the dress code for the dining rooms casual? Don't know if we should pack the Tux and dress clothes or leave them home for a more casual cruise.

Thanks so much, you have so much great information for me to research our upcoming shore excursions! We usually book private tours so I will be working on those in the months to come.

Debbie

Hello Janet,

Thank you for the excellent review! My husband and I just booked this cruise for November and are on the same itinerary as yours.

It's been a long time since we've been on a NCL cruise, we mostly cruise Royal Caribbean and Princess and choose the traditional dining option. On this cruise it is anytime dining and I don't believe they offer a traditional dining option. I have a couple of questions. Are there any formal nights? and is the dress code for the dining rooms casual? Don't know if we should pack the Tux and dress clothes or leave them home for a more casual cruise.

Thanks so much, you have so much great information for me to research our upcoming shore excursions! We usually book private tours so I will be working on those in the months to come.

Debbie

Congrats on your upcoming cruise. It will be a fabulous time! Novemeber weather can be cool (heavier sweater or light jacket) but with no crowds ~ a fine trade off for me

There are 2 "Dress up or not" nights. With such a port intensive cruise, many people were dressed casually for dinner. We ate in both dining rooms and my Dad was in long pants (either jeans or dockers) and a long sleeve shirt or sweater. I wore pants or jeans with long sleeved shirts or sweaters. We never felt out of place or were we turned away. It seemed that way more people were casual than dressed up. Personally, I would leave the fancy clothes home and pack more casual layers.

Have a great time planning your tours. There are lots of great guides out there!

Janet