injured and suddenly in a Wheelchair

daisysu64

I strongly recommend one of those pillows made especially for sitting on -- to use with the wheelchair, but also wherever you are sitting for an extended period (like the airline seat). The kind which I have found to work the best look slightly like a donut, but with a slot cut out, ie., not just a donut shape. The slot is for your "tail."

But if OP doesn't have an accessible cabin, it might not fit.

wonder how they are found in the room when you embark and you are suppose to leave them in the room when you leave? Seems like one could be a lot more independent without depending on someone to push them around and much easier to maneuver then a wheelchair for temp users.

But if OP doesn't have an accessible cabin, it might not fit.

wonder how they are found in the room when you embark and you are suppose to leave them in the room when you leave? Seems like one could be a lot more independent without depending on someone to push them around and much easier to maneuver then a wheelchair for temp users.

Mobility scooters are rented based on weight and height of the end user. Therefore if the individual fits the criteria to be able to rent a travel portable mid-size scooter and not a full size or bariatric scooter than the scooter will fit through a standard cabin door. Both http://www.CareVacations.com and http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com have the portable travel mid-size scooters available for rent. I know this size will fit though the doorway of a standard cabin as have done it several times when an accessible cabin is not available.

It is so nice to have so many thoughtful people commenting. I really appreciate it. I hope I can answer everyone. We live in Tampa, so airplane is not an issue. My sister and her husband have rooms next to my sister (twin) and I. My sister Karen (twin) and I do almost everything together. she is up for pushing me around and does not like to go places by herself, so me being independent is not an issue. I don't think it will be a problem unless we get near the shops, when there are markdowns, then all bets are off. I will be pushed into a rack and she won't remember me for hours. lol My sis and bil go on cruises a lot and are very low key. My two and I have only been on two, almost 10 years ago and were so excited to see and do everything. I have been in the gym and walking on my breaks at work so that I am ready to hit the stairs and walking track on the ship, it will just be a different kind of cruise, just as good, just different. Now we will be on a treasure hunt to find out of the way places and explore, maybe write a review to help mobility challenged people "go with the flow." I can't wait!!!

one more thought... Not sure how you are getting to the Port. If you purchased transfers from royal, call them and let them know you are I a wheelchair. They will provide a special van to transfer you to the ship. We had to do that several years ago for my Dad and they were very accommodating(and I was only able to give them 2 days notice). Also if you can't get an accessible cabin, they can put a chair in the shower to make it easier, if you ask.

Lisa

Dh broke his hip before our first cruise. We canceled and rebooked and saved about $800 over the first cruise. Not what you wanted to hear, but if you're usually active, it may be the best answer. On the other hand, we had fun on trips where I was recuperating. Also on our last cruise, we saw a lot of wheelchairs!

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

This is a great thread for everyone! I didn't know about the fingerless gloves. If I had, I would certainly have gotten my mother-in-law some when she was stuck in the wheelchair.

I suggest looking into a gel cushion. My mother-in-law had skin integrity issues due to sitting in the chair all the time. Hospice got her the gel pad on her first session with them. Her hospice nurses told me never to use a donut because it can make skin problems worse.

Doing as much as possible is a good way to look at it. But be careful not to cause further injury too.

Be sure to use a nightlight for our cabin and leave the bathroom light on at night. On our Century cruise, we did all that, and I also used a flashlight because the rolling and pitching made me unsteady.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You'll find that you can still enjoy yourself, relax and revive. We don't have to be doing things every minute to have fun.

Edited by knittinggirl

How sad it is to have any problems......almost jump at you when you least expect it. Then compound it with a cruise that you are looking forward to enjoying.

Some of the above CC members have the best suggestions going. I have recommended "Special Needs Group" that my friends have used, and with a simple email to them, or a chat, they will make sure that your needs are taken care of........from start to finish.

www.specialneedsatsea.com

Let them know of your condition, and how well you feel about getting around the ship, with whatever "help" that you need. They will recommend several options, and then you can go from there.

Happy New Year to the OP, and all that are on this thread!:)

Rick