will Oceania notify cruisers? outbreak

VIRGINIA ARTIE

I understand what you are saying but is it their place to post such tourist alerts? What if they helpfully post one and but not another? If someone suffered damage from the one unposted would O find themselves named in a suit. Who is responsible for keeping such alerts current. What about alerts for pick pocket in Barcelona, or civil unrest in Russia, or yellow fever in Brazil, etc. Are such warnings on St. Maarten or Saint Martins official tourist web sites, do major hotels offer such information, is there a warning posted on Tripadvisor?

For health and tourist/travel alerts I check CDN and USA government websites, consider the risk and my tolerance to such risk and plan accordingly. I check these sites when considering an itinerary, while planning the travel, and just before leaving in case things have changed (as they often do)

It might be nice to get such a warning from O before leaving (I am sure a 'use repellent' alert will be posted in Currents if it is still an issue when the ship is there) I would not rely on any travel provider to alert me to all safety / health issues beyond a general statement on that area.

DW thought I was a little overboard with loads of Deet & treated clothing last year for a visit to Costa Rica but made me more comfortable (was unnecessary of course!)

I hope things improve for the locals and for you when you are visiting.

Before traveling, always check the CDC website for the latest alerts: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices

Scroll down that page to see details on "Chikungunya in the Caribbean", currently listed under the lowest level (watch, rather than alert or warning).

(Notice that there are outbreaks of various diseases all over the world, including cholera in Mexico, the Dominican Republic, and Haiti, and Zika fever in French Polynesia.)