old san juan to port

momx8

We are a group of 6 and are cruising out of san juan on Celebrity. We will be staying the night before in Old San Juan. What is the best way for us to get from our hotel to the port? Taxi or Shuttle? Thanks.

There are taxi stands in designated places and you can call for a taxi just as in mainland US. Taxi sizes range from mid size sedan to sixteen passenger vans and everything in between. If you go to a stand or have your hotel call and mention you need one taxi for six passengers you will be accommodated.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Quick question...we will be arriving in March for our cruise and will need to taxi four of us (2 pieces of luggage a piece plus 4 carry ons) to Old San Juan. I'm thinking a regular taxi won't be large enough for the luggage...how would we hire a van and would the price for the van taxi be the same as for the regular taxi?

Last time we were there it was just two of us and we did a taxi for $21 I believe plus $1 per bag and that was for both of us. I'm hoping it's still $20 or $21 for all four of us plus $1 per bag. Can anyone confirm this?

Quick question...we will be arriving in March for our cruise and will need to taxi four of us (2 pieces of luggage a piece plus 4 carry ons) to Old San Juan. I'm thinking a regular taxi won't be large enough for the luggage...how would we hire a van and would the price for the van taxi be the same as for the regular taxi?

Last time we were there it was just two of us and we did a taxi for $21 I believe plus $1 per bag and that was for both of us. I'm hoping it's still $20 or $21 for all four of us plus $1 per bag. Can anyone confirm this?

The price is not dependent on the vehicle type but rather on a predetermined zoning price. It is the same price for up to five passengers even in the largest vans available. When you get to the taxi stand at the airport they will ask you how many and where to. They will hand you a half sheet of paper with the zone circled and any and all surcharges noted. For example, there is a $2 gas price increase surcharge at times. To determine total price you add the zone you are traveling to, all surcharges (if noted) and the number of suitcases you have (the per suitcase price is indicated on the paper you were handed).

You can read more information about the zones' prices here: http://www.cabspr.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Quick question...we will be arriving in March for our cruise and will need to taxi four of us (2 pieces of luggage a piece plus 4 carry ons) to Old San Juan.

At the taxi line at the AP somebody with a clip board will ask you how many people you are. They will then direct large groups to larger vehicles & couples to smaller cars.

Does anyone know if there are any wheelchair accessible cabs? Like with a lift or ramp to get into?

Yes there will be, if you need this service, I would recommend getting the info for each stop you plan to make ahead of time. The name of a taxi company etc. It may be hard to find in some places.

If I arrive on RCL which port do we use?

Is it walkable to Old San Juan and is there public transportation available?

Royal Caribbean ships whose itineraries begin and end in San Juan dock at the Pan Am Pier. I'm not sure what pier is used for Royal Caribbean ships that just make a 1 day port stop in San Juan.

We've taken several Royal Caribbean cruises leaving from the Pan Am Pier in the past and have always paid for Royal Caribbean's roundtrip transfers to the ship and airport. With the transfer to the ship, it has been nice that once they load your luggage onto the trucks, you don't see your suitcases until they arrive in your cabin and you only have to deal with your carry-on luggage at the cruise terminal. In the past, I have noticed people standing in lines outside the terminal with their luggage.

A question for those who regularly use taxis:

We are considering using taxis instead this time. When we arrive at the cruise terminal will we have to stand in line outside with all of our luggage waiting to check-in or will we have the option to turn our luggage over to an RCCL porter and proceed straight into the terminal with our carry-ons for check-in?

Thanks,

Mary